DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone operations at SRQ

I know this isn't a super new thread but there seems to be a lot of knowledgeable and helpful people on here, so I figured I'd ask...

My father recently purchased a Mavic Air 2 and would like to fly at like 20 or 30 feet above ground level over the lake in the image. Just to the left of the lake has 200' auto-approval but the lake areas have 0'. This area is not in any flight paths, as you can see the runways run basically North/South and this is off to the west.

Does anybody have any thoughts on what he might be able to do to get approved for a very low flight? Chances he gets approved? Certificates/licenses he might need?

Sorry, I'm very new to the drone world but I've done my best to find this info but I can't find much info on this.

Thanks in advance for any tips or thoughts!!!

Edit: (The lake is the horseshoe shaped body of water. The area I'm referring to is highlighted in yellow. There is a river that runs on the east side of Eppley Airfield)
@DoomMeister is correct, he’d need a part 107 certificate and then once that is obtained either an airspace authorization either through LAANC or DroneZone. 20-30 feet shouldn’t be that difficult to get.

Reactions: DoomMeister
A recreational pilot will never get clearance in a surface (0 altitude) grid. He would have to have a 107 certification to obtain LAANC clearance in those areas.

Anyone willing to study and test for their 107 will at least have the knowledge of what they must do to fly safely there.
Thanks!!!!

Reactions: DoomMeister
As for not being in any flight path, it is. FAA is providing ample wiggle room for planes approaching the runway.

What impresses me is how short the ceiling is at zero from the runway edge. I'm about 4 miles out from our airport runway but zero ceiling. Add insult to injury, there are major power lines crossing the approach path 1/2 mile towards the airport from me. If a plane is less than 120ft over my house, they are in trouble.

As for not being in any flight path, it is. FAA is providing ample wiggle room for planes approaching the runway.

What impresses me is how short the ceiling is at zero from the runway edge. I'm about 4 miles out from our airport runway but zero ceiling. Add insult to injury, there are major power lines crossing the approach path 1/2 mile towards the airport from me. If a plane is less than 120ft over my house, they are in trouble.
I think a plane would have better luck landing on the lake than landing at the airport coming from where the lake is relative to the runways. Haha. There's a 6 story parking garage between the lake and the runways.

Thanks again for the reply!

I understand why they'd have strict, essential no fly areas. A lot easier to not allow any vs having to worry about a bunch of nearby drones that could, at any second, dart towards the runway...

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada