DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone Pilot Career?

george1907

Reactions
Hi guys, new to the forum.

I used to do videography work and have over the last few months had some experience flying a friends drone, and really love it and thinking about buying my own. Also thinking about drone pilot career prosects but its hard to find solid information online. From what ive read, drone pilots are in demand (not sure how covid has effected the industry) and can earn a good wage?

What are peoples thoughts about someone new coming into the game? Would it take long to get work and earn a living? Does it depend a lot on networking and being able to showcase yourself enough? Are there better options than being self employed?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Many thanks

From what ive read, drone pilots are in demand
As well as demand, you have to consider supply.
Good drones are very inexpensive and there's no shortage of drone flyers that are also wanting to make a few $$.
Also many businesses that can make use of drone imagery have noticed that drones are cheap and easy to fly and are doing it themselves..

Last edited:
Check out our sister forum!

commercialdronepilots.com

Definitely not as active, but some good info there.

If you are really good, and I mean REALLY GOOD at Cinematography you need to make a website that shows so.

Then start marketing to whatever industry you'd like.

I do Real Estate. I love architecture, and Photography, so it works.
I take 100-200 ground based pictures (edited down to roughly 50). I usually only take about 10-15 drone pics (edited down to 5ish).

The drone is a niche item with real estate, but with other industries they are crucial

Welcome to the forums George.
I think Meta hit the nail on the head. My analogy would be to scuba diving industry. Lots of people love to do it as a sport/hobby. Most instructors working in a dive shop have first careers and they instruct part time at lower wages at least in the U.S. Some however get certified to the highest ranking in technical diving as instructors. There they command a higher wage as there is less supply of them. As to networking and answering calls at all hours sales, and generating business will be the owner.

Compared to drones, I think you would be much more marketable if you are a professional photographer, can do inspections etc. Can you do it sure, but don't quit your day job.

Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .Thumbswayup

Welcome to the forum. You will find helpful advice and support here. We look forward to your participation and seeing your part of the world.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum!Thumbswayup

I used to do videography work and have over the last few months had some experience flying a friends drone, and really love it and thinking about buying my own. Also thinking about drone pilot career prosects but its hard to find solid information online. From what ive read, drone pilots are in demand (not sure how covid has effected the industry) and can earn a good wage?

WELCOME to the forum :)

Building ANY business is a challenge and a struggle but a DRONE business is even tougher. The cost for entry is LOW.... the knowledge for entry is LOW.... the Experience for entry is LOW... so while there may be a lot of demand that is a whole LOT of UAS operators for this jobs. Unfortunately many of them are willing to work for cheap or FREE and completely dilute the industry.

What are peoples thoughts about someone new coming into the game? Would it take long to get work and earn a living? Does it depend a lot on networking and being able to showcase yourself enough? Are there better options than being self employed?

Building a brand/business is a LOT of work. It requires you to hold many positions beyond flying, editing, and processing the DATA. You've got to be networker, cheer leaders, accountant, marking director, and so much more. You've got to be able to confidently sell yourself and your product on an almost daily basis.

I don't say this to scare you off but to let you know it's TOUGH!!!

Allen

Hello from the Hoosier Heartland george1907.

Good luck with the future business.

Welcome to the Forum. :cool:

Ive been doing this professionally for several years now and it has taken that long to generate a reasonable amount of work. I was previously a landscape and commercial photographer and as others have said, this is more important than drone skills. Also, knowing someone in the industry you want to specialize in. Trust me, it is going to take some time.
But, if you are serious and motivated, get your part 107 (absolutely necessary legally, and will give you a competitive advantage) hone those skills and start pounding the pavement.

The OP lives in the UK. Part
Ive been doing this professionally for several years now and it has taken that long to generate a reasonable amount of work. I was previously a landscape and commercial photographer and as others have said, this is more important than drone skills. Also, knowing someone in the industry you want to specialize in. Trust me, it is going to take some time.
But, if you are serious and motivated, get your part 107 (absolutely necessary legally, and will give you a competitive advantage) hone those skills and start pounding the pavement.
The OP lives in the UK, Part 107 not relevant.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zzombie