DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone pilot for hire or volunteer for animal rescue effort (Peapack & Gladstone/Far Hills, NJ area)

Fireside3

Reactions
Objective is to use drone to assist with herding geese down river for purposes of excluding them from a local park/pond, to prevent them from being rounded up for gassing. Already proof of concept with previous drone operator, who is no longer available. Have Mavic or better or something comparable. A mini isn't going to cut it. You will be flying behind geese to herd them down river, at least until they continue on their own and have met objectives. Looking for volunteer to help local organized citizen effort, but willing to pay reasonable fees for Part 107 if necessary. There are already set aside funds. If interested, do not reply here. Email: [email protected] or pm page www.facebook.com/reptilerescue with availability and other terms.

• Angry
Reactions: Cafguy
I don't know if this helps but strobe lights on my drone seem to move geese a little bit faster than they would ordinary good.

Objective is to use drone to assist with herding geese down river for purposes of excluding them from a local park/pond, to prevent them from being rounded up for gassing.
It is not legal to herd wildlife with an RC Vehicle. -- Nesting birds are particularly vulnerable to disturbance caused by drones. If a nesting bird is scared off its nest by a drone, the eggs and chicks in the nest become vulnerable to predators; if the adult permanently abandons the nest, all of the eggs and chicks will die. Even if a nesting bird doesn’t immediately flee, the cumulative effect of multiple disturbances can cause the bird to abandon the nest.
Except as otherwise authorized in the regulations or in the Fish and Game Code, no person shall harass, herd, or drive any game or nongame bird or mammal or furbearing mammal. For the purposes of this section, harass is defined as an intentional act which disrupts an animal's normal behavior patterns, which includes, but is not limited to, breeding, feeding, or sheltering. This section does not apply to a landowner or tenant who drives or herds birds or mammals for the purpose of preventing damage to private or public property, including aquaculture and agriculture crops.

Sorry BUT if I were you-- I would check the Laws there in Nunya.

Last edited:
Reactions: Talldiver
It is not legal to herd wildlife with an RC Vehicle. -- Nesting birds are particularly vulnerable to disturbance caused by drones. If a nesting bird is scared off its nest by a drone, the eggs and chicks in the nest become vulnerable to predators; if the adult permanently abandons the nest, all of the eggs and chicks will die. Even if a nesting bird doesn’t immediately flee, the cumulative effect of multiple disturbances can cause the bird to abandon the nest.
Except as otherwise authorized in the regulations or in the Fish and Game Code, no person shall harass, herd, or drive any game or nongame bird or mammal or furbearing mammal. For the purposes of this section, harass is defined as an intentional act which disrupts an animal's normal behavior patterns, which includes, but is not limited to, breeding, feeding, or sheltering. This section does not apply to a landowner or tenant who drives or herds birds or mammals for the purpose of preventing damage to private or public property, including aquaculture and agriculture crops.

You mean, like this? But I guess drones are the problem. :(

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I'm an actual 20 year wildlife rescuer and rehabber who works with protected birds, as well as a drone pilot, but thanks for playing. Please sit down. I'm only asking for what I'm asking for. Not opinions from people who know less about the subject than I do, and who are using vague non-applicable "Fish & Game" code they found on google, where this specifically concerns Migratory Bird Treaty Act and there are zero nesting birds concerned. If I were you, I'd mind your own business and not presume to know facts you don't have.

Reactions: Meta4
It is not legal to herd wildlife with an RC Vehicle.
A 20 year Wildlife rescue person would well know that there are other animals in that area besides the species you are trying to save- But you seem to know the law in your area SO lets take a look at it:
1. It is a crime to herd animals with a drone. this can not only be found on google BUT In ANY STATES fish and game rules ( easy to look for yourself) even in NUNYA. If you are a Drone pilot it would be in your best interest NOT to assume the LAW. but rather do your own research. My guess is you did not research this enough.
2. It is also Illegal to use a camera Drone to spot or identify animals. Not only is it not legal to use an aircraft to herd your geese, BUT to even look for them with your camera equipped Drone is a huge NO-NO. BUT I am guessing with your experience that you know this. I have not found any state where this is legal without a not so easy to get permit.
If I were you, I'd mind your own business and not presume to know facts you don't have.
My business is to make sure other Drone pilots do NOT break the law and by doing so give more fuel to the Anti-Drone community.
I am giving you facts that you can easily look up for yourself It is also my business to make sure that people DO NOT HARM Wildlife while flying their Drones.
ATTEMPTING to HERD a bunch of geese with a drone will end up getting some of the geese injured.
there are zero nesting birds concerned
Nesting birds can be found EVERYWHERE including around the places you plan to "herd" your geese. This is one of the reasons this sort of activity is a no-no
I would be more than happy to contact the local wildlife organizations in your area and make them aware of your wish to herd animals away from harm perhaps we can prevent a few of them from becoming "prop-Fodder".
In my state they herd birds away from harm with simple Noise makers. WOW, A noise maker - who would have thought?
I won't even go into line of site.

Last edited:
I'm an actual 20 year wildlife rescuer and rehabber who works with protected birds, as well as a drone pilot, but thanks for playing. Please sit down. I'm only asking for what I'm asking for. Not opinions from people who know less about the subject than I do, and who are using vague non-applicable "Fish & Game" code they found on google, where this specifically concerns Migratory Bird Treaty Act and there are zero nesting birds concerned. If I were you, I'd mind your own business and not presume to know facts you don't have.

If you can't simply ignore comments you don't find useful, you might want to pose your questions somewhere other than a public discussion forum where members are free to discuss the topic without necessarily catering to your specific limited interests.

I know ranchers in West Texas who use their drones to herd cattle BUT they have permits to do so on their land.
A good video, seems like it is from SD:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

If you can't simply ignore comments you don't find useful, you might want to pose your questions somewhere other than a public discussion forum where members are free to discuss the topic without necessarily catering to your specific limited interests.
I have a right not to "ignore" comments that I find factually incorrect, and not adding value. Thanks.

Reactions: Frank Dracman
I know ranchers in West Texas who use their drones to herd cattle BUT they have permits to do so on their land.
I am also a ranch worker, and live on a ranch, in TEXAS...you DO NOT at all need a permit to herd YOUR OWN cattle. This is ridiculous. They're private property and domesticated animals. How ridiculous would it be, when we use everything from horses, to ATVs, to helicopters already to herd cattle.

A 20 year Wildlife rescue person would well know that there are other animals in that area besides the species you are trying to save- But you seem to know the law in your area SO lets take a look at it:
1. It is a crime to herd animals with a drone. this can not only be found on google BUT In ANY STATES fish and game rules ( easy to look for yourself) even in NUNYA. If you are a Drone pilot it would be in your best interest NOT to assume the LAW. but rather do your own research. My guess is you did not research this enough.
2. It is also Illegal to use a camera Drone to spot or identify animals. Not only is it not legal to use an aircraft to herd your geese, BUT to even look for them with your camera equipped Drone is a huge NO-NO. BUT I am guessing with your experience that you know this. I have not found any state where this is legal without a not so easy to get permit.

My business is to make sure other Drone pilots do NOT break the law and by doing so give more fuel to the Anti-Drone community.
I am giving you facts that you can easily look up for yourself It is also my business to make sure that people DO NOT HARM Wildlife while flying their Drones.
ATTEMPTING to HERD a bunch of geese with a drone will end up getting some of the geese injured.

Nesting birds can be found EVERYWHERE including around the places you plan to "herd" your geese. This is one of the reasons this sort of activity is a no-no
I would be more than happy to contact the local wildlife organizations in your area and make them aware of your wish to herd animals away from harm perhaps we can prevent a few of them from becoming "prop-Fodder".
In my state they herd birds away from harm with simple Noise makers. WOW, A noise maker - who would have thought?
I won't even go into line of site.
Again, thanks for your limited knowledge, but I'm good. It's obvious from your first comment that you know too little of this issue to add value to me. It doesn't matter what F&G code you cite. I know more than you do about it. Because I know what legal definitions at the beginning of every statute or administrative regulation are for. And I know state game laws are not the overriding law here for migratory birds that are non-game, and covered under USFWS, and are routinely moved under permit all the time, so...again...thanks for playing.

I have a right not to "ignore" comments that I find factually incorrect, and not adding value. Thanks.
Yes, I agree strongly. You definitely have a right to ignore other people's comments. Ignoring them would have been the better course of action instead of exercising your right to post a rude response.

Yes, I agree strongly. You definitely have a right to ignore other people's comments. Ignoring them would have been the better course of action instead of exercising your right to post a rude response.
Frankly, it was the response to my post that was rude, condescending, and presumed facts this person was not aware of. Thanks though. Sticking to input on what the inquiry was would have been the best course, or skipping my post if you didn't have specifically what I was asking, would have been the polite thing to do. Not rudely trying to read me chapter and verse of vague, inapplicable legal language. That's my area of expertise, which is why I didn't ask for legal advice. Bye.

I said I have a right NOT to ignore such comments, and post counter response, so thanks.

Point of fact, drones are used to herd geese under USFWS rules for mitigation purposes and depredation permits but I didn't want to side track and get into all that because that's not the point of my post. So, politely, don't try to educate me about an issue that is my actual daily.

Well I'm not taking any side here, I'll just point out the only Nunya I could find is in Nigeria, where of course the Fish & Game laws being discussed here have no authority.

Is there a Nunya in the US?

Frankly, it was the response to my post that was rude, condescending, and presumed facts this person was not aware of. Thanks though. Sticking to input on what the inquiry was would have been the best course,

That's subjective, of course.

Someone else might judge highlighting serious violations of existing rules to be the best course.

Reread your original post in the context that no one here knows anything about you, or what you know. Maybe that might help you understand that outlining the rules wasn't rude, but was meant to be helpful, and keep a stranger out of trouble.

Point of fact, drones are used to herd geese under USFWS rules for mitigation purposes and depredation permits but I didn't want to side track and get into all that because that's not the point of my post. So, politely, don't try to educate me about an issue that is my actual daily.

If you're trying to get help from people here, any kind of help including your recruitment effort, I can assure you that approaching the community with this attitude will likely be unsuccessful.

Using the word "politely" doesn't make it so.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lab916