DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone Propeller Replacement Question

MtnFlyer

Reactions
Other than outright broken or bent propellers, what kind of tell- tell signs are you looking for when you replace your drone propellers?

Just curious.

Thanks!

Other than outright broken or bent propellers, what kind of tell- tell signs are you looking for when you replace your drone propellers?

Just curious.

Thanks!
I inspect mine periodically or after coming in contact with an obstacle with a loop. I look for nicks and cracks. Regarding nicks, I use judgement as per how many and how deep. I replace the propellers if there are any cracks. As far as runtime or structural weakening per use, I am not that seasoned yet. No idea.

Of all the DJI products, the mini is the one to watch for prop issues.
The goal of course was a weight target on the design.
I think they missed the mark on the prop part of this one.

If this is the case, will it be advisable to go for third party, and presumably more durable, props?

If this is the case, will it be advisable to go for third party, and presumably more durable, props?

Master Airscrew (MAS) is the one to watch for. Unfortunately, they don't have props for the Mini or the Air 2 yet, and no promises of things to come I could find. Last new props from MAS were for the Mavic 2, which are quite good with one caveat - from my testing, a somewhat higher percentage of their props are not as well balanced as they could be (the factory props aren't all perfect either, but were marginally better than MAS). I balanced my MAS props and like them.

Look on Amazon, there are several "brands" of replacement props for the Mini - but be sure to read the reviews, especially the negative ones. Also keep in mind that when you use aftermarket props of any brand, there may be additional risk to your drone.

I have no knowledge of aftermarket props. I’m not one to use them.
Probably not a lot to choose from for this aircraft.
May be some info to be had. Search button.

Thanks for the replies - much appreciated.

Mavic pro
I inspect my props before every flight. I inspect the blades both top and bottom, particularly the edges, run my fingernail along the edges to feel for cracks or nicks I didn't see, give each blade a gentle twist to check the tightness of the screws, and feel the locking lugs. On replacing each prop, i give a tug on the hub to insure it is locked securely in place. Overkill maybe, but the peace of mind is worth it.

Master Airscrew (MAS) is the one to watch for. Unfortunately, they don't have props for the Mini or the Air 2 yet, and no promises of things to come I could find. Last new props from MAS were for the Mavic 2, which are quite good with one caveat - from my testing, a somewhat higher percentage of their props are not as well balanced as they could be (the factory props aren't all perfect either, but were marginally better than MAS). I balanced my MAS props and like them.

Look on Amazon, there are several "brands" of replacement props for the Mini - but be sure to read the reviews, especially the negative ones. Also keep in mind that when you use aftermarket props of any brand, there may be additional risk to your drone.
Hi Bumper. How do you balance your props?

Reactions: Jimbo704
I use a jig I made to position the prop blades at exactly 180 degrees from each other. Then balanced them on a Dubro prop balancer using a 3mm diameter SS rod (purchased separately from Amazon (or hobby shop) for the axle. Balance "weights" are small pieces of plastic tape (I use UHMW-PE as I have that for other purposes, but any good tape will do - just layer it to get a thicker piece as required). The procedure is easy when the props are new and the hinge joint is stiff enough to hold the blade straight on the hub after aligning it on the fixture.

Fixture notes: I scribed a single straight line on the polycarbonate (Lexan) base, then slightly undersize drilled the holes equidistant from the center pin to hold the press fit 3mm pins. I plan to make a more "permanent" fixture of aluminum bar stock on my mill - just haven't got to it yet and the one below works :).

y2TCywD.png

Edit to add. When making a kluged fixture with a fairly thin base, like the above, it's important to check that the pins are perfectly 90 degrees from the base. I used a small machinist square for this step (that wouldn't be necessary if the base material were thicker). I used a drill press to get the holes square to the stock - my mill (which is at my shop 9 miles away) and a thicker base, would be a better way to make the fixture. A hardwood base would be easy for most to make.

Last edited:
Thanks for that great advice. I found the Dubro balancer at ebay. I was not familiar with that device. I have one question though concerning how and where the the tape is applied. Doesn't the tape become an aerodynamic concern?

My Mavic Mini (or the controller) once told me that one of the propellers needed replacement, and even which one. This is a message I've only seen that one time. It was a bit cryptic, but came up on the display, saying that one of the motors was turning at a different speed than the others, and to land immediately and replace the propellers on the arm indicated. After landing, the lights blinked rapidly on one arm. On close inspection, one of the props on that arm did show some small wear that I'd missed during preflight inspection. I replaced the props on that arm, took off, and never saw that message again.

So in at least some cases, the system may tell you when props need to be changed.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki