DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone registration around the world

Patrick Bergeron

Reactions
I currently own a Mavic Mini and plan to upgrade to Mini 2 or Air 2.
When the travelling will be possible, I would like to use my drone in many countries but it is hard to find information about drone registration around the world.

Do you know a place where I can have this kind of information ?

Would it be easier to have a Mini 2 for less registrition needs ?

Thanks

I currently own a Mavic Mini and plan to upgrade to Mini 2 or Air 2.
When the travelling will be possible, I would like to use my drone in many countries but it is hard to find information about drone registration around the world.

Do you know a place where I can have this kind of information ?

Would it be easier to have a Mini 2 for less registrition needs ?

Thanks

Some countries do exempt <250g drones from their registration or flight rules, so it can be easier depending on the country.

There are sites like UAVCoach that try to display rules for multiple countries. I suggest just using that is a start for your research, and then directly visiting the regulatory agency website for the country you are intending to fly in to get the final word. Unfortunately drone rules are constantly changing so sites like UAVCoach aren't always 100% up to date.

If you plan on traveling internationally that may be your only option to fly in foreign air space. I was just researching drone rules in Mexico and found that unless I'm a Mexican citizen I cannot even register a drone weighing more than 250gms, even though their "micro" category extends to 2 kilos.

What is the rule for a foreigner (US citizen) flying in Canada? Is there any reciprocity for Part 107 (and/or non-Part 107) pilots?

If you plan on traveling internationally that may be your only option to fly in foreign air space. I was just researching drone rules in Mexico and found that unless I'm a Mexican citizen I cannot even register a drone weighing more than 250gms, even though their "micro" category extends to 2 kilos.

What is the rule for a foreigner (US citizen) flying in Canada? Is there any reciprocity for Part 107 (and/or non-Part 107) pilots?
I know there is no reciprocity between Canada and USA for drone registration. We need to do the registration in both country if we want to fly a Mavic Air 2.

I just did a quick TC Canada Google and here is what i found for you, hope this helps:

Foreign operators​

If you are a foreign operator (that is, you are not a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or a corporation incorporated by or under federal or provincial law and you want to fly in Canadian airspace), you must have an approved SFOC to fly a drone for any purpose (recreational, work or research).

You must already be allowed to use the drone for the same purpose in your home country. Include your country’s approval or authorization with your application for the SFOC.

"Please note, we are currently not accepting SFOC applications from foreigners to Canada looking to fly recreationally. This change does not affect foreigners requesting a SFOC for commercial, work, or study purposes. This temporary restriction will be re-evaluated in January 2021. We apologize for any inconvenience."

Just an FYI, the laws in Japan require drones over 200g (not 250) to be registered. Minis bought in Japan have lighter batteries (and shorter flight times!) to accommodate this rule.

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gtfuture11