DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone Regulations in Panama

Hey, I'm heading down to Panama for vacation and would like to know if anyone can tell me the rules for operating a UAV in the country? I've been searching the web for info but cant seem to find much that's in English or anything that is really clear on what is required. Thanks!
Don’t bother trying. You’ll be fine. Just follow the same drone laws as the US and if you fly it over the canal don’t do it in a popular area cause there pretty up tight about people looking in the canal.

Hi! You will need to register your UAV or RTA (here) with Civil Aviation. It's very Fast. Bulding 808 in Albrook. Bring your UAV and register it. Then you can fly with the same rules as in the USA.
Cheers.

Hey Julioego!
Greetings from Germany! I‘m coming in January for vacation to Panama. Its the First Time that I take my drone with the Aircraft.
I found out that I have to get the Formular „
FORMULARIO DE REGISTRO DE RPA
AUTORIDAD AERONAUTICA CIVIL
PANAMA“
So I also don‘t have a Pilot licence, because in Germany you don‘t Need one when your drone is under a specific weight.
You told here that this is not a Problem to get the formular!?
Where do I have to go with this formular ? Is there an office at the airport? Or do I have to carry the formular with me at the Security Check in After Landing?
I‘m so helpless to find something in english what can help me!
I hope you can help me Or an another User
Please :)
Thank you very much

I am heading to Panama canal by cruise ship in two weeks. I'm not sure if I can go the the Aviation Authority to register my drone. Any suggestion?
Seems like it. Do not worry. Looks like you are only staying for a day. Just be careful flying around the canal area. You should not be flying there. If you do it, make it quick and land in your ship where they cannot follow.
Registration is more for local users who are going to be flying more time. Tourists are very difficult to regulate and the worst that could happen is that they tell you to stop flying. That’s it.

Hello , I’m unfortunately a owner of a Mavic but I have just a Spark . I would like to know , if I need to register my drone also with the form present in the site , and if I need all the documents requested . The spark is micro categories? Thanks

Regards

Claudio

Is possible to send by e-mail the form ?? Because I will pass in the canal with a ship, and I would like to record this passage ...what do you think?

I live here in Panama and could probably help if it isnt too late.
Hi ! nice to know it! Im going to visit Panama next monday and really want to buy a MAvic Air Fly more combo or a Mavic Pro Fly more combo.
Really appreciate if you can help me with where I can find it (what store) and which model would be better to buy.
Thanks!

Can anyone supply the address where you can go to get your drone registered? Hopefully it is still at the albrook airport?? Thanks again

Hi Pilots, first post here, just wanted to add some documents I found to this thread on Panama...

First, here is an article (in Spanish) that lead me to a PDF file of the resolution, which I guess is the proposal for the applicable law (I know some Spanish, but I'm not familiar with leagalese in Spanish):

Registro de drones en Panamá llega a más de 500

Google translate will do a decent job on that page.

The article references this document, which is the resolution (law?) that the government passed in June 2016:

http://www.aeronautica.gob.pa/images/seguridad_aerea/norma 2016/Requisito para las Operaciones de los Sistemas de Aeronaves Pilotadas a Distancia.pdf

What is kind of perturbing about this is that they have different categories, and the only category that does not appear to require an actual pilot's license (again, based on my understanding of Spanish & some help from the Goog) is the "Micro" category, which tops out at 250 grams, which is basically a child's toy, maybe not even some of the bigger toy drones. See section H / Page 12 for categories & regs.

If the letter of this law was followed by the authorities, a 2kg Mavic Pro would absolutely require both registration, AND a pilot's license in Panama, because it would fall into the category of "Pequena", which is allowed to fly to a maximum of 200ft high, they say. Also, clearly written for toy / WiFi devices because it mentions that you can fly a distance of 80% of your specified radio transmission distance, which for a Mavic might put it around, what, 4 miles or more...lol... while the next category up (Livana - 25-150kg) is limited to 500 meters but in line of sight.

Various previous posts indicate that the person went to the office at the Albrook Airport, and everything was cool, so I'm kind of confused about what the actual situation is. The letter of the law is incredibly restrictive, even moreso that USA regulations.

Here is the actual page of the form that needs to be filled to register (click under the word "Formularios")
Dirección Aérea

Anyone have any additional thoughts, or recent actual experience with this???

Hi guys,

i will fly to panama next saturday and i am little bit scared.
Since i will stay in panama for just 3 days before moving to colombia do you think i need a permit?
In italy we don't have to register or have an insurance if we fly for recreational purposes.

I do only fly on fields or mountains. Now it's time to record beautiful sunset and beaches.

Do i need to worry? I wrote an email to this address [email protected]

i hope to have an email back soon.

Is there someone who actually went this year to panama? Is it difficult to gain the certificate?

Thank u all in advance.

Marco

Hi Marco. I have it registered, but I live here.
It is way unpractical to spend 3 hours of your 3 day vacation registering your drone.
My advice is to avoid flying in public parks and in places like Conta Costera or the Canal.
You may get away with flying in the Kiwanis Park if you do not steer away to the canal area.
Beaches are ok. As well as private haciendas or houses.
Do not fly in Casco Viejo or near Tocumen Airport.

If by any chance you are approached by the police they most likely will ask you to stop. I have not heard of them taking away the drone yet. Be polite and have a $20 on you just in case.

Fly safe.
J.

Hi Julio,

Thank u so much for the suggestion.
Btw is there any chance that the custom officers pretend to see the fly permit?

Is there the possibility that they seize my drone?

Thank u

Marco

I am in Panama now and want to add a little info - you must go to the office between 8am and 4pm. Also, it is building 805.

New here and looking for some help. Is it possible to do this remote? I will be in Panama for a week and am just bringing my spark, but will not have transportation and can't make it in person to the building. Tried to send an email to [email protected] but it bounced. Tried to call and didn't get an answer. I'll try to call again tomorrow, but has anyone been able to do this long distance or should I just carry around $20 and not worry about it like Juliego suggested?

New here and looking for some help. Is it possible to do this remote? I will be in Panama for a week and am just bringing my spark, but will not have transportation and can't make it in person to the building. Tried to send an email to [email protected] but it bounced. Tried to call and didn't get an answer. I'll try to call again tomorrow, but has anyone been able to do this long distance or should I just carry around $20 and not worry about it like Juliego suggested?
I don’t think you’ll have any trouble with such a small drone. Just do not fly around Cinta Costera, av. Balboa and nea the Presidential house in casco viejo.
You can fly in parque Omar but do not bother people and carry your trusted $20 separate from the rest of your money so they do not ask for more :) Remember! It’s Christmas.
I have a Mavic (registered) and never had an incident where they ask for my registration. I doubt you’ll have one in one week. Cheers!

I don’t think you’ll have any trouble with such a small drone. Just do not fly around Cinta Costera, av. Balboa and nea the Presidential house in casco viejo.
You can fly in parque Omar but do not bother people and carry your trusted $20 separate from the rest of your money so they do not ask for more :) Remember! It’s Christmas.
I have a Mavic (registered) and never had an incident where they ask for my registration. I doubt you’ll have one in one week. Cheers!
Thanks Julioego. Super excited for the trip and just a little anxious about my first international trip with my spark. Wish me luck and thanks again!

What are the opening times of the Drone Licencing office?
I arrive in Panama City in the evening and leave for San Blas at 5am the next morning.
Does San Blas even have the same rules as Panama?

I am sorry to tell you that you will probably won´t be able to use your drone in San Blas. Guna Yala natives are becoming overzealous about drones. (I think it´s because they want to be the only one filming from the skies so they can profit selling the videos. Also there have been some complaints about tourists feeling harassed from drone operators (peeping toms).
You also will be arriving during a very busy week since the Pope is coming and I think authorities are going to prohibit drone the whole week. Do not even bother in bringing your drone unless you plan flying it without the natives noticing. (you may get away with it. and if you get caught, you can always say you did not know and they will let you off with a warning)
Do not even bother going to the Aviation Office.
Cheers.

JGO

I am sorry to tell you that you will probably won´t be able to use your drone in San Blas. Guna Yala natives are becoming overzealous about drones. (I think it´s because they want to be the only one filming from the skies so they can profit selling the videos. Also there have been some complaints about tourists feeling harassed from drone operators (peeping toms).
You also will be arriving during a very busy week since the Pope is coming and I think authorities are going to prohibit drone the whole week. Do not even bother in bringing your drone unless you plan flying it without the natives noticing. (you may get away with it. and if you get caught, you can always say you did not know and they will let you off with a warning)
Do not even bother going to the Aviation Office.
Cheers.

JGO

Ok
Thanks very much Juliego

Ok
Thanks very much Juliego
@Julioego , as it seems that you you know a thing or 2 about it since you live there, i was wondering if i should bring my Mavic pro 2. I found a lot of regulations but they're really not clear... I'll be staying in Colon - Playa Chiquita. That location won't cause any problem I guess but I wonder if they will check at arrival at Tucomen? My drone is not registred. The last thing I wanna run into is get my new drone confiscated at the airport ...
Thx in advance for the advice! Christophe

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78