DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone used in rescue of man stuck on cliff at the Oregon coast

good outcome on the story

however, I live in Oregon, lived here 60 years, and have spent a lot of time on the Oregon coast. I understand being young and adventurous, but to climb into a position you can't climb down from is irresponsible. And I climbed a bit when I was younger.

the Oregon coast is dangerous, in many ways. It's especially dangerous if you don't pay attention to the waves and are reckless in your routes and decisions. I know you can say this is what SAR is meant for, but to have 8 people, some risking their health and safety, to spend 5 hours saving a knucklehead from his own bad decisions is frustrating

however, I live in Oregon, lived here 60 years, and have spent a lot of time on the Oregon coast. I understand being young and adventurous, but to climb into a position you can't climb down from is irresponsible. And I climbed a bit when I was younger.

the Oregon coast is dangerous, in many ways. It's especially dangerous if you don't pay attention to the waves and are reckless in your routes and decisions. I know you can say this is what SAR is meant for, but to have 8 people, some risking their health and safety, to spend 5 hours saving a knucklehead from his own bad decisions is frustrating
Agreed!

Cheers!

Reactions: LoudThunder
Thanks for sharing

I heartily second your comments- I was thinking the same exact thing while I was watching the story.

Dale

West coast folks may be surprised, but we have mountains and difficult terrain in the east, too. For example, very near me is a small (by western US standards) mountain, Mt. Monadnock, that's heavily climbed by folks from Massachusetts. Regularly folks are injured or stuck by weather such that they're rescued.
North of me, in the White Mountains, things get even worse. Folks pay little attention to the weather or time of day, so they get trapped by fog, night-time, you name it.
My point is that carelessness (and stupidity?) knows no bounds, geographic or otherwise. At least with cell phones we have fewer deaths?

West coast folks may be surprised, but we have mountains and difficult terrain in the east, too. For example, very near me is a small (by western US standards) mountain, Mt. Monadnock, that's heavily climbed by folks from Massachusetts. Regularly folks are injured or stuck by weather such that they're rescued.
North of me, in the White Mountains, things get even worse. Folks pay little attention to the weather or time of day, so they get trapped by fog, night-time, you name it.
My point is that carelessness (and stupidity?) knows no bounds, geographic or otherwise. At least with cell phones we have fewer deaths?
It confirms the old axiom- "you can't treat 'Stupid', "

That once again shows the great value of UAVs in SAR operations and some of these wonderful people who put their own lives at risk trying to save someone who put themselves in danger. But, I could not help wondering the same as others here, what in the world was this guy thinking? Is there no common sense anymore. But, it also made me think about the various laws in some states that allow state or local government to invoice the rescued party with all or some portion of SAR costs. It is kind of an interesting legal/moral debate that has come up in Oregon and elsewhere with varying conclusions.

In Washington, if you deliberately set fire, and fire department comes to put it out, and fire fighter gets killed in the process, you may get charged with murder. Now, what if you make a mistake on a mountain, and a $15 million PAVE chopper comes to rescue you but crashes due to pilot error.

Oregon actually has a very interesting law that allows recovery of SAR costs if the rescued party failed to use "reasonable care," but liability is capped at just $500.

See OR 404.270 Reimbursement of public body for search and rescue by benefited persons

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3