DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

drone went brr

endrussdrones

Reactions
a few days ago I launched my mavic mini 2, after a few minutes of flight something happened to the drone, the camera suddenly started spinning and the altitude began to drop very rapidly, a few seconds later the connection was lost, then I found my drone in a poor condition with a broken wing, (photo below), but I did not understand what caused the incident, because of the wind? or because of the broken wing during the flight?
I have attached a log file below, maybe someone knows what caused it(
8A0AA9D8-8056-43D6-B8F6-7886D8B733A3.jpg

airdata link -

Last edited:
DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help

• Post your flight data to get help
  • Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
  • Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
  • That will give you a detailed report on the flight data.
  • Come back and post a link to the report it provides.
You are also welcome to just post the txt file here.

Upload and view DJI Phantom, Mavic, and Spark flight logs online

@Meta4 and @slup are great at offering explanations from the data.

DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help

• Post your flight data to get help
  • Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
  • Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
  • That will give you a detailed report on the flight data.
  • Come back and post a link to the report it provides.
You are also welcome to just post the txt file here.

Upload and view DJI Phantom, Mavic, and Spark flight logs online

@Meta4 and @slup are great at offering explanations from the data.
sorry, I can't attach the txt file for some reason, instead of txt there is empty space.

i uploaded it to mega.nz, here is the link - 358 KB file on MEGA

The log on Phantomhelp
link deleted
oops gazumped

Ooh someone has been playing with Phantomhelp the log now plays itself !!!!!!!!!

EDIT
I am deleting my link because CsvView doesn't seem to like the csv down loaded from my link. The csv from GFields' link works.

Last edited:
...maybe someone knows what caused it
Even though the winds was overly high for a Mini 2 they didn't directly cause this...

The winds:
1680903801876.png

The log instead clearly indicate a loss of thrust from the right rear corner... either due to a prop or motor failure. This time I think it was a partial prop failure (meaning 1 of the 2 blades broke off)... the reason is the sudden loss of height initially, but then a slight slow increased height before the connection was lost, later the other blade most probably also broke off & the drone went down.

The incident starts at 110,3sec into the flight... the drone suddenly pitch nose up, rolls over to the right side & loses height in a rotating CW direction. All this points towards the right rear corner.

The interesting data below... the chart marker is placed where the incident starts, legend below the chart shows the values from that point. (The cell deviation you see in the log comes from an increased amp draw as the motor with the broken prop speed up in an attempt to stabilize the drone... but in vain as the prop is missing)

(Click on the chart to make it larger)
1680904301321.png

Since you mention the Camera Shaking I imagine, what was the weather outside. ?

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.. Land on the Water.

during the normal flight, there was nothing wrong with the camera, but when the incident itself happened, the camera started spinning as the drone began to.
This explains than the Loss of a Motor as the drone will start to spin and also land, so that matches up with the Log nicely.
Not to long ago I had a motor get stuck and the drone did exactly the same but managed to land softly on a roof top.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water.

This explains than the Loss of a Motor as the drone will start to spin and also land, so that matches up with the Log nicely.
Not to long ago I had a motor get stuck and the drone did exactly the same but managed to land softly on a roof top.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water.

Even though the winds was overly high for a Mini 2 they didn't directly cause this...

The winds:
View attachment 162376

The log instead clearly indicate a loss of thrust from the right rear corner... either due to a prop or motor failure. This time I think it was a partial prop failure (meaning 1 of the 2 blades broke off)... the reason is the sudden loss of height initially, but then a slight slow increased height before the connection was lost, later the other blade most probably also broke off & the drone went down.

The incident starts at 110,3sec into the flight... the drone suddenly pitch nose up, rolls over to the right side & loses height in a rotating CW direction. All this points towards the right rear corner.

The interesting data below... the chart marker is placed where the incident starts, legend below the chart shows the values from that point. (The cell deviation you see in the log comes from an increased amp draw as the motor with the broken prop speed up in an attempt to stabilize the drone... but in vain as the prop is missing)

(Click on the chart to make it larger)
View attachment 162377
i think yes, this explains everything, the drone itself is missing only the two right-lower propellers

thank you for your help!

he drone itself is missing only the two right-lower propellers
Are those blades broken or are they entirely missing along with their screws?

Just as a matter of interest do you have better shots of the gimbal and the arms that attach the gimbal to the drone's body. HANDLE IT VERY CAREFULLY, there is a ribbon cable in there that is easily torn, it woulf be a shame to tear it if it is not already torn.
Do the gimbal and camera still work ?
From what I can see and depending on the state of the gimbal and camera you might get away with replacing the middle shell and rear arm. If you have patience and a decent soldering iron that's a fairly easy job.
I bought a wrecked mini 2 for parts and all that was wrong with it was the middle shell was scrap so I decided to fix it. It was a fairly easy swap. Some bits are glued down, I used a hair dryer to carefully soften the glue and hey presto one repaired mini 2.

Last edited:
Are those blades broken or are they entirely missing along with their screws?

Just as a matter of interest do you have better shots of the gimbal and the arms that attach the gimbal to the drone's body. HANDLE IT VERY CAREFULLY, there is a ribbon cable in there that is easily torn, it woulf be a shame to tear it if it is not already torn.
Do the gimbal and camera etill work ?
From what I can see and depending on the state of the gimbal and camera you might get away with replacing the middle shell. If you have patience and a decent soldering iron that's a fairly easy job.
I bought a wrecked mini 2 for parts and all that was wrong with it was the middle shell was scrap so I decided to fix it. It was a fairly easy swap. Some bits are glued down, I used a hair dryer to carefully soften the glue and hey presto one repaired mini 2.
he has no chance after the fall the wing broke off, the camera also has no chance to survive.. (photo below)
I think it can be repaired, but you have to try very hard to do it.
the drone itself somehow turns on, which really surprised me, since the fall was from a height of 40 meters on the asphalt

Attachments

• photo_2023-04-08_02-16-57.jpg
    photo_2023-04-08_02-16-57.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 24
  • photo_2023-04-08_02-16-59.jpg
    photo_2023-04-08_02-16-59.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 24
Reactions: DougMcC
he has no chance after the fall the wing broke off, the camera also has no chance to survive.. (photo below)
I think it can be repaired, but you have to try very hard to do it.
the drone itself somehow turns on, which really surprised me, since the fall was from a height of 40 meters on the asphalt
in addition, the drone came as a gift, it already had traces of repairs and glued parts..

Yes sorry I just noticed the damage to the right rear arm/motor and corrected my post but you beat me to it.
That said, replacing the arm and motor would be easy and you are more than half way there whilst replacing the shell since you have to unsolder all the arms and then resolder them with/in the new shell.
The question become the gimbal.
If the gimbal arm, the one between your finger and thumb, is intact and if the diagonally opposite gimbal arm is intact ( I can't see in your photo ) then replacing the ribbon cable is also easy. Besides you have to remove and refit the ribbon cable when swapping the shell, its one of the things that 'heat helps remove' so replacing it is not really any additional work, same as the right rear arm and motor.
If the stranded cable to the gimbal has no broken strands then that's great. Replacing the stranded cable is a fair bit of work.
Of course, and IT IS A BIG QUESTION, whether or not there is any other, undetected damage to the gimbal remains unkown until the drone is rebuilt and tested and that is the big draw back.

Last edited:
Reactions: mark.pinskey
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929