DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dronelink Beta for Mavic Air 2

Seriously considering selling the MA2 I've been holding onto it as DJI pushed back the SDK time and time again while they finally release it and it doesn't work. It just blows my mind they decided NOT to offer waypoints as a standard feature on this model.

Reactions: cuchovivas
Seriously considering selling the MA2 I've been holding onto it as DJI pushed back the SDK time and time again while they finally release it and it doesn't work. It just blows my mind they decided NOT to offer waypoints as a standard feature on this model.
If you sell MA2, would you replace it with something else?

I thought the virtual sticks worked just fine according to previous posts ?
sounds great from this extract .

What makes Dronelink different or better than other apps?​

jim-square.png

Jim McAndrew
  • 4 months ago
  • Updated
Follow
Most other flight automation apps that use the DJI SDK upload missions to the drone for execution. This approach is called onboard waypoints, and it is the reason why these apps are essentially clones of each other - they rely on the same underlying flight controller. Furthermore, onboard waypoints only offer a very specific, limited command set and DJI rarely updates this command set. DJI has also excluded onboard waypoints from certain drones, such as the Mavic Mini, meaning many apps cannot support that drone.
Dronelink uses a different approach called virtual stick, which means Dronelink is actually a custom flight controller sending stick commands in real-time as a human pilot would using a remote control. Many of the features available in the Dronelink mission planner, such as the Facade component type, or even chaining multiple component types together in one mission, can only be achieved by using this approach. It is worth noting that virtual stick does require a constant connection to the drone (learn more) and it benefits from having a faster mobile device (learn more).

Reactions: maelstrom
I thought the virtual sticks worked just fine according to previous posts ?
sounds great from this extract .

What makes Dronelink different or better than other apps?​

jim-square.png

Jim McAndrew
  • 4 months ago
  • Updated
Follow
Most other flight automation apps that use the DJI SDK upload missions to the drone for execution. This approach is called onboard waypoints, and it is the reason why these apps are essentially clones of each other - they rely on the same underlying flight controller. Furthermore, onboard waypoints only offer a very specific, limited command set and DJI rarely updates this command set. DJI has also excluded onboard waypoints from certain drones, such as the Mavic Mini, meaning many apps cannot support that drone.
Dronelink uses a different approach called virtual stick, which means Dronelink is actually a custom flight controller sending stick commands in real-time as a human pilot would using a remote control. Many of the features available in the Dronelink mission planner, such as the Facade component type, or even chaining multiple component types together in one mission, can only be achieved by using this approach. It is worth noting that virtual stick does require a constant connection to the drone (learn more) and it benefits from having a faster mobile device (learn more).
My issue isn't with the virtual sticks, It is no SDK for a very long time and when they did release it, It was broken.

If you sell MA2, would you replace it with something else?
That is the problem isn't it? The MA2 is the perfect drone for me. Size, flight time, camera quality, Price. Nothing really compares. But I have a specific use for SAR that requires me to be able to enter a coordinate and go there to recon. At this point a Mavic 1 would suffice that need but would be a slight downgrade on the image quality. Mavic 2 is overkill for that purpose at this point and the MA2 does everything I need it to do otherwise.

We often get called out and 911 gives us coordinates based on the callers cell phone. Often times they are wrong, even off by a few 100 feet changes our access point. Discovering this on foot only to have to backtrack and reroute wastes time.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Sorry to hijack but I know litchdronelink etc use virtual sticks on the ma2, but does the “official” dji hyperlapse waypoints use virtual sticks too?

I still like Litchi way better... especially the library of editable way missions in their library.... they will figure it out.
Dronelink also has a library of editable missions in their public repositories.

Reactions: Tom25 and Tufargon
Bought the Premier level of Dronelink for my MA2, created dozens of missions and went to test it today, the app crashed every single time. If there are any dronelink reps on this forum, what’s the deal? I would really think it should work.

Bought the Premier level of Dronelink for my MA2, created dozens of missions and went to test it today, the app crashed every single time. If there are any dronelink reps on this forum, what’s the deal? I would really think it should work.
Yikes.... I will wait for Litchi to come online... :) :) :)

Go to the official Dronelink support forum:

There are a number of threads about the MA2 with some solutions to common problems. The developer replies quickly to most posts there and you’ll definitely get the best answer to your questions.

Last edited:
what device are you using it on ? also are you on the new aicraft firmware ?

Any more info on this front? I have Litchi, but am considering purchasing dronelink as the free tier no longer works.

If something in a mission goes wrong, can you just RTH with the controller?

iOS device and with the new firmware.
i flew 3 missions for the first time on friday all went well ,i had a 4th fail because of my error in settings.no crashing of the app also ios ipad mini 5th gen .latest aircraft firmware.

Dronelink supports the MA2 now and I'm having a blast making some sweet footy. Anyone else doing some cool stuff with DL and MA2?
I found a mission on the litchi site and downloaded it to DL but I'm too scared to fly it since I've never used Litchi or DL. It takes me over the Sacramento River, under and over a bridge and I'm too scared.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rambezito