DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drones Without Borders

SpinRush

Reactions
Having trouble finding a spot for my first flight in Japan. Thought I had the perfect plan. Going out to Lake Haruna here in Japan. It's way outside Tokyo in the Gunma prefecture. Of course, different prefecture means different laws. I decided to call ahead ( Being Responsible ) to get permission for a 20 minute flight for photography. Answer was "NO".

Again, I want to be a responsible drone pilot. Not just for myself, but for the rest of the community as well. I downloaded an app called "Drone Maps". It looked pretty legit. However, after calling Gunma Prefectural office, I worry that lots of areas may not be reporting their red zones and green zones. I think I should also add national parks to my mental list of places not to fly.

So I ask this community. Is there any other app I should be looking at that is more updated than "Drone Maps"? I think if I can find a Drone Club in Japan I might be able to find a new database or safe areas or updated rules.

Sigh.......was so excited about the first possible flight. I even got that cool landing pad thingamajiggy for my Mavic Air to make those beautiful RTH landings.

If you know a better safe fly area database or app please let me know.
If you know of any "Drone Clubs" in Japan, please let me know.

I'm grounded like a BOEING right now and it hurts. Why me? My software is up to date.

Information online shows its perfectly legal to fly drones in Japan. But there are a lot of restrictions in the vicinity of cities/towns, airports, government installations, private properties, public parks, picnic spots, tourist attractions, anywhere that is going to attract people (cause that means prefectural or government restrictions). A possible strategy could be to find a spot in the wild, somewhere uninhabited.

The link below might have some useful information.

I have been on and off the phone all day. First, I contacted the Ministry of Land and Transporation. They transferred me to Civil Aviation Bureau. Then I finally got the number to the Drone Assistance Center ( Real Thing ) 0345886457 noted here for safe keeping. I called them and then they told me to go back to the website to find safe zone maps on M.I.L.T's website....again. I dug a little deeper and I found some maps ( that would not load ).

I started my search for information from ground zero after that. Facebook has some groups I applied too. Keyword search "Drone Japan". One group even welcomes international visitors.

Then I found a website called Seranova. That's a TRUE dedicated to drones website. Maybe the best I've found so far.

Then I found a website ( GOLD? ) where I can register my flight plan in Japan electronically?!?!?!?! If this is correct then this is the website that anybody who is traveling to Japan would want to use. It may be the fast track to flying where you would normally be unable to fly.

I want to get a license too. I found something called JUIDA UAV License. Although a license is not needed in Japan it is recommended to do things with your drone one might not normally be able to do.

Still learning guys but trying to share information

Reactions: LazyBird
Discovered DIPS.MILT today. Registered my drone with them. This is the website you should use if you want to do any drone flights in restricted areas.

Reactions: CJH92474

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biggej