DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DroneUp acquires AirMap

Vic Moss

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Big news today in the UAS world.

DroneUp announced that they have acquired AirMap. For years AirMap has had a deserved bad rap from the industry. Now that DroneUp owns them, there won't be any monetization of the NAS for drone owners.

Excellent news!! Hopefully they continue with the DroneUp philosophy and totally abandon any and all of AM's.

Interesting - It does seem like they aren't planning to change the APP name. At least, not right away. Ya never know with some industries. I've seen aquisitions get absorbed into the purchaing company, I've sometime where the aquisition becomes a subsidiary and retains its name.

Think its a little too late for many of us. Once they lost LANC for a bit I switched over to aloft and haven't looked back.
While Aloft is good for the area you are currently at, you cannot explore airspace in a distant area other than to look a the map. With AirMap all I have to do is go to the area and it will give me all information just like I am physically there.

If there is a way to do that in the Aloft mobile app, I am very open to learning how it is accomplished.

While Aloft is good for the area you are currently at, you cannot explore airspace in a distant area other than to look a the map. With AirMap all I have to do is go to the area and it will give me all information just like I am physically there.

If there is a way to do that in the Aloft mobile app, I am very open to learning how it is accomplished.
In Aloft, at the bottom it says "Flight Deck" tap on Maps and it allows you to move your indicator around to wherever you want to get LAANC. I like it much more than Airmap. But I do have both on my android S21ultra and carry an Apple IPad in my bag because nothing worse than not being able to get permission to fly after arriving at a location and finding your apps not working for whatever reason.

Reactions: BigAl07
Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for sharing!

So what is the concesus then? Airmap now owned and managed by people not attacking the industry? I intentionally stoped using because of what I learned here.

AirMap is easier (for me) as well. I like Aloft fine but for a quick request it feels a bit too much. Happy to read AirMap seems back in play. I too was trying to avoid it.

So what is the concesus then? Airmap now owned and managed by people not attacking the industry? I intentionally stoped using because of what I learned here.
I wholeheartedly recommend AirMap now.

Reactions: TonyPHX
I wholeheartedly recommend AirMap now.
Thank you Vic! I will be giving it a try then again and appreciate your opinion seeing your credentials. I am trusting that the new owners and path forward will not include things that are not in the best interests of UAV pilots.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent