DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dronie mode near disaster!

mike150

Reactions
New owner of my MINI and to drones in general so HI ?...………..BTW, I don't know much!

I used Dronie mode for the first today and on my 3rd attempt I was at my in laws hovering about 3M away from a small fir tree and at 2M altitude, I used Dronie and off it went......…….and then it returned as it should...……….to promptly go right past its start point by 3M forward and down 1M. Now you can guess where it was, TRIMMING THE FIR TREE! I got it reversed back and breathed, few tiny scuffs on the front props but no more.

Why did it do this? I just don't trust it sometimes!

Post the flight logs for someone to review

Reactions: mike150
There's a whole post on how to do it .. I'd link it here but am on my phone so go search the forum for it.. Will take you all of 2 minutes

At a rough guess it didn't have a good enough idea of where it was - perhaps not enough GPS satellites locked?

But anyway - when it's doing Quickshots you can always stop it dead by pressing the RTH button on the controller briefly. Remember you should be in control at all times, even when it's doing a pre-programmed manoeuvre.

Sussed...…………..have to say the amount and detail of the data recorded is unbelievable! Doesn't mean much to me though.

From what I can see on General and notifications at point E I set it to quick shot and it headed south until it was 40M out then it came back but over shot the start point of the quick shot by 5ft and went to -2.3ft altitude.

Reactions: deltamike
At 153sec into the flight the Dronie stops ... the heading speed at that time was 1,12m/s (dark green graph) with a descend speed of 0,3m/s (purple graph). Which feels like a bit on the slow braking side even for a Mini. But what made it a bit worse was that you there just in the end of the Dronie applied negative throttle (negative for descend, red graph) which leveled the pitch ... from +14 degrees up (for braking) to -12 degrees down during your stick input ... this made the Mini's ability to continue to brake equal to zero & made it possible to drift away even further.

Just plotting out the GPS coordinates from Dronie start & end gives approx 2,2m difference ... with the end point laying closer to the bushes.

Also checked the complete flight after signs of "Uncommanded descents" ... as this could have made the Mini continue further back, but couldn't find any height instability at all.

I believe that the conclusion of all this is that you made this maneuver in a much to tight space ... & then made it worse by applying negative throttle, blocking the Mini's braking possibility. (And for the record ... the GPS hadn't anything to do with this, between 15-19 sats was locked with an overall navhealth of maximum 5)

1587641544523.png

1587641562886.png

HMMM...………..

I possibly feared the MM wouldn't stop in time and pulled down on the left stick slightly, let me explain...……………….

I am still struggling with the controls as I raced RC cars 30 years ago and was extremely good at it but the muscle memory won't go away...………...I still apply the left stick for forward and back and the right for steering on occasion. Mode 1 would probably be better but I want to be 'normal' and stay with the standard mode 2.

HMMM...………..

I possibly feared the MM wouldn't stop in time and pulled down on the left stick slightly, let me explain...……………….

I am still struggling with the controls as I raced RC cars 30 years ago and was extremely good at it but the muscle memory won't go away...………...I still apply the left stick for forward and back and the right for steering on occasion. Mode 1 would probably be better but I want to be 'normal' and stay with the standard mode 2.
✋ Hi from Florida ?
I feel for ya. Unlearning a routine is hard to do. I still fight it. The controls are all wrong compared to real flight. But it does get much easier with repetition. I almost switched to mode 1 myself but glad I didn’

✋ Hi from Florida ?
I feel for ya. Unlearning a routine is hard to do. I still fight it. The controls are all wrong compared to real flight. But it does get much easier with repetition. I almost switched to mode 1 myself but glad I didn’
I bought my daughter an Eachine E010 to play with in the house and it's so good I ordered another one and I try to practice with it.

I tried it outside just an hour ago but it almost needed full throttle just to resist a light breeze ........... A good fart would blow it about

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arm1