DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DVR and the Dlog colour glitches

AeroJ

Reactions
Hey people...

I am just trying to sort the workflow out for editing footage from the Mini4Pro in DVR, and have run into an interesting problem I can't be alone in experiencing.

This project was recorded in H.265 D-LOG M, 1080P 30 FPS, MP4 container.

If you have a look at the short attached extract from a video I was trying to make, the problem becomes evident almost immediately. Watch what the main camera does in the first 30 secs or so, most prominently just after launch, and then again when we first turn to face the sun, where it becomes highly prominent for about 20 secs before diminishing again, and ultimately disappearing.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Once the first minute is done, there is 3 mins after that where the footage is consistently fine (same clip!), and then it starts doing it again, for no appreciable reason.

So, for comparison reasons, and to show that there was, theoretically, nothing wrong with the actual footage produced by the drone, I have included the screen recording too, which, confusingly, shows perfect color all the way through. So do the clips from other (DJI) cameras, like the headcam view also shown. And once transferred off the drone, VLC is able to play back the drone clip perfectly, with no color errors, so it can't be the footage itself right ?

Yet as soon as that M4P clip makes into DaVinci Reoslve 18.6.6 we get these horrible colour shift artefacts that look sort of like compression errors, but probably aren't.

I tested it even with no grading applied, and the problem is still present.

Anybody ever seen that before, have an idea what might be going wrong, or just flat-out knows the answer ?!

Thank you.

Last edited:
Since you posted the screen recording showing there isn't an issue, you can rule out the drone's sensor. So that's not the issue.

Which means it's either the card, or the computer/software.

I don't use DaVinci, but if this was happening with one of the titles I used, and not with another, I'd delete and reload the title that wasn't working correctly.

Try that, and/or reach out to DaVinci and see if they have any annswers.

Reactions: AeroJ
Which means it's either the card, or the computer/software.
And I would probably eliminate the card as well, given that VLC can play it back without the problem. I guess further tests over time will corroborate that or not...

Was hoping it might be a vital tick-box I was missing in DVR Project settings or something. I will try and contact Black Magic, and see if they even answer tech support stuff for freebie version users !

I know it hasn't been up here long, but I kinda can't believe nobody else here has run into that before...

Are you using the free version? It does not support H.265 10 bit. After I upgraded to Studio, the problem went away.

Reactions: AeroJ
Yep, confirmed - I have had time to try it with some other H.265 10-bit clips, and the problem persists.
What fascinates me though is the artefacting seems so utterly random when it turns up - in a 9 minute video I reviewed earlier it only did the error briefly, once, and the rest of it seemed perfect. It sure is a very weird way to show that something isn't supported ! You'd think a message on import would be the way to go right ?!

Reactions: smbishop

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
efe