DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dynamic home point in Mavic 3 and RC Pro

lomposlapos

Reactions
How do I set a dynamic home point with M3 and RC Pro?

For example, drone follows my moving car (with me inside the car) and the home point is always the remote (=the car). Now I can update the home point manually to the remote's position, but I am looking for an option where the remote's location is automatically and continuously regarded as a home point.

How do I set a dynamic home point with M3 and RC Pro?

For example, drone follows my moving car (with me inside the car) and the home point is always the remote (=the car). Now I can update the home point manually to the remote's position, but I am looking for an option where the remote's location is automatically and continuously regarded as a home point.
Resetting the homepoint to the controller only resets it to the current location of the controller.
You can't set a continuously updating home point.
But you really don't need one anyway.

Very unfortunate and shameful on DJI.
It's not shameful ... it's just the way it is.
Of course you need! When you are filming your own car, boat, bike, camel, whatever. Updating continuously instead of driving and shooting is very amateurish and distracting.
Are you intending to land your drone in a moving car?
All you need to do is manually update the homepoint every few minutes so that the drone doesn't try to return back to the launch point when it calculates the battery level is only just enough to get back there.
And bring the drone in manually wherever you want to.

Last edited:
The issue is if you lose signal and haven't yet updated your home point the drone will go to the last recorded one which may no longer be viable. I am new to DJI but can't believe their consumer level drones don't have this feature- their upper level (inspire) drones certainly do.

The issue is if you lose signal and haven't yet updated your home point the drone will go to the last recorded one which may no longer be viable. I am new to DJI but can't believe their consumer level drones don't have this feature- their upper level (inspire) drones certainly do.
Conversely, if you were using a dynamic home point feature, you would have no control over where the home point was set and it could be somewhere unsuitable for landing.
DJI removed this feature from consumer models without any explanation many years ago.

Very distracting, time consuming, and misleading in terms of remaining battery life.

Nice! A car that has been moved if that was a real Q.
So that if you drove into a parking garage or tunnel, beneath an overpass or tree canopy or into the middle of a dense urban area, the drone could go there in the event of a lost signal or low power situation? Instead of the probably safe takeoff location or other home point designated by the PIC?

We need to remember that the safety of other people and property is involved in drone programming design, not just our own considerations.

So that if you drove into a parking garage or tunnel, beneath an overpass or tree canopy or into the middle of a dense urban area, the drone could go there in the event of a lost signal or low power situation? Instead of the probably safe takeoff location or other home point designated by the PIC?

We need to remember that the safety of other people and property is involved in drone programming design, not just our own considerations.
That reply does have substance and certainly worth considering. I would posit however that since DJI does include it on higher end models and that there are other 3rd party apps and company's who enable this feature and that it has high demand there is merit there as well. A person could be just as irresponsible and fly recklessly or create a dangerous situation. There is nothing that will foolproof things. Although I was not fond of remote id and I have never been a fan of Geofencing with the increased drone population and all that comes with along it certainly has turned into the proper thing to do.

You would have all the control in the world.It's wherever your controller is.
You mean if you drop your remote controller in the water, the drone would go in the water right behind it?

I think we need to wait for AI before we go back to this feature. I can see the benefits but when it comes to safety (which seems to be 95% of the reason for a fixed manual homepoint in DJI's mind), they had little choices.

Smart homepoint powered by AI will change everything.

You would have all the control in the world.It's wherever your controller is.
That's the thing ... wherever your controller is when you might lose signal isn't necessarily where you'd want the drone to perform an automated landing.
Think middle of a busy road or coming through tree canopy etc.

I'm thinking if it were that big a safety issue it the ability / feature would have been removed from the developer SDK.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chrispmooney