DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dynamic RTH - Boating?

westwind77

Reactions
Those who use their drove from boats, do you use Dynamic RTH? I noticed a lot of people suggesting 'Hover' but as it was pointed out it will just 'Hover' and you have to chase it down if you lose contact with it.

How well does Dynamic work? Not looking for the drone to land perfectly on the deck, but basically get the drone back to a few hundred feet of my current location should something odd happen. I can cancel and take over manually for the land/grab.

Those who use their drove from boats, do you use Dynamic RTH? I noticed a lot of people suggesting 'Hover' but as it was pointed out it will just 'Hover' and you have to chase it down if you lose contact with it.

How well does Dynamic work? Not looking for the drone to land perfectly on the deck, but basically get the drone back to a few hundred feet of my current location should something odd happen. I can cancel and take over manually for the land/grab.

This is a feature that most people don't understand how it works. The term "Dynamic RTH" does not mean auto updating. It is indeed a manual function. That being you have to constantly use the app and reset your home point to controller. I am not sure if this can be assigned to a programmable button on third party software or not, but believe I read somewhere you can.

DJI's premier (Prosumer) aircraft have a true auto updating home point, their consumer class aircraft do not. So be very aware while boating, if craft (Boat) in in motion then you will want to update quite often. If your just adrift then less so to get you back to a flyable intercept.

Personally if I want to capture some boating action and am within range of shore. I will fly the aircraft over land and update home point to aircraft location, then bring it out over water again and "Film" what I have to. That way your much more guaranteed to not have a water landing had things go whacky. You can easily update and switch from one to another home point if you wish to land on boat vice shore.

Again most people aren't aware that you can update home point while in flight, be that aircraft or remote location. Best of luck ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Happy Hope and ff22
This is a feature that most people don't understand how it works. The term "Dynamic RTH" does not mean auto updating. It is indeed a manual function. That being you have to constantly use the app and reset your home point to controller. I am not sure if this can be assigned to a programmable button on third party software or not, but believe I read somewhere you can.

This goes against everything I have read on-line....on this forum, other forums, and youtube videos. I specifically make sure when searching and reading that it mentions the mavic and not any higher line of drones.

This goes against everything I have read on-line....on this forum, other forums, and youtube videos. I specifically make sure when searching and reading that it mentions the mavic and not any higher line of drones.
That you saw something mentioned on youtube or in forums, doesn't mean the information is accurate.
DJI drones haven't had a dynamic homepoint feature since the Phantom 2 days.
You can reset your home point to the current location of the drone or the controller, but there's no dynamic homepoint feature that will continue to update the homepoint as you move.

I would like second and third opinion on this statement, anyone pls?
That you saw something mentioned on youtube or in forums, doesn't mean the information is accurate.
DJI drones haven't had a dynamic homepoint feature since the Phantom 2 days.
You can reset your home point to the current location of the drone or the controller, but there's no dynamic homepoint feature that will continue to update the homepoint as you move.

You can always dynamically move the boat to the drone's position in case landing is needed.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka