DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Eagle strike and survival

Jeffdj

Reactions
On recent flight with the Air2S to document a landslip, the drone was attacked by a pair of Wedge Tailed eagles. At one stage the drone was nearly upside down. As soon as I realized what was happening, I headed for home base but was struck a few times again. As I returned, the pair of eagles cruised by underneath me. The damage to the propellers was incredible, I don't know how the drone managed to keep flying. Here is a clip from the incident.

When I see raptors forming, I make a quick retreat to Home. They will quickly move on once you've landed. The real problem is that you may have injured the bird preventing it from hunting with its eventual demise.

Is that your property at the bottom of the landslip?

Reactions: Droniac
On recent flight with the Air2S to document a landslip, the drone was attacked by a pair of Wedge Tailed eagles. At one stage the drone was nearly upside down. As soon as I realized what was happening, I headed for home base but was struck a few times again. As I returned, the pair of eagles cruised by underneath me. The damage to the propellers was incredible, I don't know how the drone managed to keep flying. Here is a clip from the incident.
As others point out, the sky is a raptors domain. I make it a point to land when I see any hawks or especially eagles. He just had to be injured but to what degree we don’t know. Nothing can get close to those spinning props without at least a severe cutting injury…..I really hope that there injuries are such that they cannot hunt or they get a bacterial infection leading to a potentially long and struggling death…..This incidence should be in every drone manual of what not to do….

I always run faxctory guards on my Mavic's and Inspires . They make the drone look larger and offer
more protection. Yes you may have to leave on however, worth it. No creature should be hit by these high
speed knives (especilly the Inspire) . I was hit 7 years ago with Phatom clone which caused severe cuts on 7 fingers.

I have a lot of Red Tails were I live and for the most part they are curious however, no attacks yet.

I do not put guards on the Mini since there is more risk to the drone then the bird.

I always run faxctory guards on my Mavic's and Inspires . They make the drone look larger and offer
more protection. Yes you may have to leave on however, worth it. No creature should be hit by these high
speed knives (especilly the Inspire) . I was hit 7 years ago with Phatom clone which caused severe cuts on 7 fingers.

I have a lot of Red Tails were I live and for the most part they are curious however, no attacks yet.

I do not put guards on the Mini since there is more risk to the drone then the bird.
Thank you sir for your comments….They are deeply appreciated. Drone operators must be cognizant of the fact that these are flying knives no matter how you look at it……

• Love
I have flown near bald eagles and redtails, and falcons; not intentionally. Typically they are curious, but once they determine it is not another bird, they ignore it. I feel bad for the eagles, as they most certainly had injuries.
That is an amazing drone to make it home with those props.
I wonder if a strobe on top of the drone would help ward the eagles off?

Please, they are magnificent birds, but they made the choice to attack. Let’s not fall all over selves crying for the poor birdies! But it’s not good for either party to get in a dust up!

I’m wondering how those eagles are walking! Severe prop damage, dang.i find ascending straight up cures their interest and attempting to decend makes them see me as more interesting prey. Although I could be totally wrong but on the infrequent occurrences I’ve had it holds proof positive. Although not always eagles per se. Of course it’s not the pilots fault unless you’re aware of a familiar nesting area. And of course the prop guards maybe make a difference. Prolly not as it’s talons first. Your position is well understood by many though. 🦅

Last edited:
Reactions: benni
Btw AWESOME FOOTAGE tunes excellent

As others point out, the sky is a raptors domain. I make it a point to land when I see any hawks or especially eagles. He just had to be injured but to what degree we don’t know. Nothing can get close to those spinning props without at least a severe cutting injury…..I really hope that there injuries are such that they cannot hunt or they get a bacterial infection leading to a potentially long and struggling death…..This incidence should be in every drone manual of what not to do….
There should be instructions on this web site not to make dumb comments like blaming the drone operator for a bird attack. So high on your pompous horse that you fail to realize he didn't see the eagles, he thought the drone was malfunctioning at first. Once he saw them he tried to get the hell out of there asap. Only thing missing in your post was an accusation of violating VLOS rules lol.

Reactions: Ex Coelis
When I see raptors forming, I make a quick retreat to Home. They will quickly move on once you've landed. The real problem is that you may have injured the bird preventing it from hunting with its eventual demise.
I’m pretty sure they weren’t damaged, you can see them fly away below me.

Please, they are magnificent birds, but they made the choice to attack. Let’s not fall all over selves crying for the poor birdies! But it’s not good for either party to get in a dust up!
“they made the choice to attack.” I’m not certain “choice” is accurate. But again… I can be completely wrong. 😉

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnny760