DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Edit: DroneVR - Too cool! [Long first blush review]

I tried and actually bought these https://www.dicksmith.com.au/da/buy...r-augmented-virtual-reality-platinum-ks04610/ same full screen resolution but managed through mirrors, they actually work quite well BUT lot of light comes in round the sides, would be fine with a black cloth over your head but who wants to be "that" drone pilot :) I also tried the cheap twin lens 3D goggles, no comparison to the Magimask or Ximmerse Visor-X in terms of quality and made me feel real woosy very quick. I have also made the attached out of that plastic tube card board you can buy at Warehouse Stationery and if I can't be bothered with the Magimask I use this. That velcro strap you can see just wraps around the front and holds it real snug. Really light and quick to attach and perfect vision even in bright sunlight.
20201214_201000.jpg

Reactions: EyesWideShut
I have also made the attached out of that plastic tube card board you can buy at Warehouse Stationery and if I can't be bothered with the Magimask I use this. That velcro strap you can see just wraps around the front and holds it real snug. Really light and quick to attach and perfect vision even in bright sunlight.
Using a tall hood design like yours not only blocks the sun from shining on the screen but also as important, blocks reflections of your face and the sky behind your face. Being so tall you can go from VLOS and just tilt your head and look down to clearly see the screen and back up to look around.

I have used similar designs with tablets for years. Mine usually have the height split in two telescoping pieces that I can extend to full height when needed and slide back down and then fold flat for easier transportation/storage. If I need to tap the screen, I usually just tilt the hood back slightly to get my fingers to the touch screen or have some small cutouts where needed.

Reactions: Bussty
I tried and actually bought these https://www.dicksmith.com.au/da/buy...r-augmented-virtual-reality-platinum-ks04610/ same full screen resolution but managed through mirrors, they actually work quite well BUT lot of light comes in round the sides, would be fine with a black cloth over your head but who wants to be "that" drone pilot :)
Your Ximmerse Visor X are similar to the Fitt AR-X. (using mirrors). I'm playing around with designing side shields to shade the mirrors that could be easily detachable. If I have any success, I'll post some photos. Might be a week or two.......

Reactions: Bussty
Ahhhh! Still on the treasure hunt for the ideal drone mask other than the DJI standard issue. As stated earlier (May 28) the latest aquisition was the Fitt AR-X which enables any DJI drone using the phone app to view the screen close to the eyes using a mirror system. When you are using it from a shady spot it works quite well, but standing in bright sunshine the mirrors get washed out. I've played around making some perspex clip-ons which cut down the glare. I inherited a heap of perspex, but any not too bendable material should do the same thing. The attached pdf is drawn to scale and the jpg shows how they are attached using velcro which enables the mask able still to be folded compactly for storage. I've tried using just one and both at the same time. The results are a bit mixed depending on the weather conditions and I'm not totally convinced this is the one for me. Being able to use the DJI app I think is better than using 3rd party ones, but that's a personal preference.
My final chip thrown on to the roulette wheel is going for the mask recommended by Bussty, The MagiMask. I managed to get a deal similar to Bustys which I'm sworn to secrecy. It's apparently on the Aramex courier van as we speak, though the driver obviously doesn't know his/her way round Christchurch. Aramex is not high on my list of recommended couriers, but that's another story.
Once I've had a play with the Magimask, I'll do a sum up of the three I've tried and which one is the preferred option for me.IMG_20210611_104654.jpgIMG_20210611_104805.jpg

Attachments

• side_screen.pdf
    63.2 KB · Views: 1
Look forward to your review. You won't be sorry with Magimask just make sure you get a Bluetooth Mouse I use a Logitech M557. You can stare into the sun with that setup and have 100% clear vision. Good luck!!
Yes, I already have a BT mouse that works with the phone. I guess that presupposes you have a flat surface to use it on. (something else to carry with you...) :) . One thing I've noticed with all these masks, is that fitting the phone into the mask is difficult to achieve without changing stuff on the screen (hence the mouse I guess). With the mirror system, I carry a touch stylus pen as the phone screen is still accessible from inside the mask.
[EDIT]
Just had a brainstorm! I've got an 8" tablet holder for the controller. All one needs to operate the BT mouse is to create a mouse pad to fit to the holder.

Last edited:
Well, the final chapter in my search for the ideal AR mask deals with my experience with the MagiMask. The major plus for this piece of kit is that it allows you to fly using the official DJI app , something which I feel more comfortable with and for anyone wanting to claim recompense from DJI for loss or damage to their drone, is possibly essential??
Unpacking it, one major problem became quickly apparent. My phone is an android Xiaomi Redmi Note 7. The on/off button is just off centre at the side with volume controls above. I suspect designers of this mask assume everyone uses Apple Iphones where that button is near the top of the phone. MagiMask uses a pair of clips attached to elastic to fasten the phone in place and of course, one of them is in exactly the wrong place!
My solution was firstly to purchase for a few dollars a cheap fake leather case for the phone. The cases come with a rubber insert the phone sits in which I separated from the leather outer. I then removed the two clips from the MagiMask. The mask interior has a material lining which velcro attaches quite well to. I already had some adhesive velcro strips in my junk box which I attached to the bottom of the new rubber phone holder. The phone now sits exactly where I want it and in no danger of switching off! I had to pack under the velcro , so that the phone cleared the clip holders which I didn't want to remove and also to allow the USB cable clear access.
There is adjustment for lens distance and I found I needed to have it at the maximum, which definitely adds to the weight factor on the face. When flying one tends to have the head looking downward anyway which helps counter the discomfort. I am using small size pharmacy reading glasses (x2 magnification) and get a very clear picture. The younger, healthier Mavic Pilots possibly won't strike either of those two problems!
Would I recommend this mask? A qualified yes, but it is not inexpensive especially if you are converting US dollars to currencies that have a less favourable exchange rate. I've received an email indicating several manufacturing runs over the next few months, so specials may be on the horizon? who knows. They were selling for US$89 a while ago. If you are using a phone with control buttons near the centre you could have a problem. Doing what I've done will have ripped up any warranty. I don't regret the purchase, but I think there are a few flaws. This whole exercise for me has shown that nothing out of the box has been a perfect fit and having a good workshop and lots of junky bits has been very useful!!
I'll probably use all three masks from time to time depending on the situation. They all have a unique difference which keeps the hobby interesting.

ps. The wireless mouse using the upper leg works just fine!

Attachments

• IMG_20210624_210747.jpg
    IMG_20210624_210747.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20210624_210804.jpg
    IMG_20210624_210804.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20210624_211006.jpg
    IMG_20210624_211006.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20210624_210850.jpg
    IMG_20210624_210850.jpg