DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Editing 4K/30 on iPad Pro 10.5

itimjim

Reactions
Hi first post, be gentle please. I’ve recently purchased a Mavic Air, and I’m trying to get a workflow where I can edit on my iPad Pro 10.5 2018.

I’ve done quite a bit of testing, so bare with me, I’ll list what I’ve done.

- Transferred 4K/30 mp4 from camera via i-FlashDevice SD reader with lightning port to Photos
- Play file but it badly smears/tears the footage, or in some cases had a horrendous bright green washout
- Played the file on a Surface Pro directly from the Micro SD card in the slot and it plays flawlessly
- Transferred the video from Surface Pro to Huawei P20 Pro via USB to C cable, plays on that device flawlessly also
- Recorded a short clip into MOV format (instead of MP4), copied to iPad, same result.
- Installed DJI GO 4 on iPad, connected to drone, tried to copy file over to iPad - app stated only jpg and h.264 video can be imported (ironically, the video is h.264!!)
- Installed LumaFusion, loaded video, playback and same smearing.
- Tried exporting the video to various settings (4k/30 100mbps, 4K/30 50mbps, 1080P/24mbps) - all same results.
- Installed MediaInfo for iPad (just in case the i-FlashDevice was doing some conversion on copy), and can confirm the videos are AVC High Profile 5.1 at 100mbps (as it should be)
- Done some Googling, and can see that iPad Pro (even the latest version) only supports playback of h.264 up to AVC High Profile 4.2
- Googling which brought me to this forum shows some users saying they have no problems editing Mavic 4K on iPad Pro, some users reporting they can’t! Admittedly some Mavic users (Pro) might be using HVEC 4K which iPad might work well with. Also one test I’ve not made is shooting 4K/25 instead...maybe successful users are using this?

Currently installing iMovie to see if it does anything different.

Frustrating as I want to use LumaFusion on iPad Pro. Any opinions, advice, experience you can share...much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

iMovie yielded the same results.

However, I’ve just tried importing a clip off the SD card via OneDrive and the footage on the iPad looked flawless. Maybe my i-FlashDrive is doing something weird to the files?

I’m on really poor bandwidth on holiday so going to be difficult to test in detail. I can’t get the network drive share thing to work over win10, so may need to wait until I get home. Odd stuff :)

..... I want to use LumaFusion on iPad Pro. Any opinions, advice, experience you can share...much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Try 'Optimize and Consolidate' on your project before exporting

Wow! Yeah, there are a bunch of us that edit on iPad Pro here on this forum. It should work fine for you. I'd bet something is happening to your videos as you import them to Photos.

Thanks man. What's your worfklow for editing on ipad? Are you using the official apple micro SD converter, or the camera kit with a reader?

Thanks man. What's your worfklow for editing on ipad? Are you using the official apple micro SD converter, or the camera kit with a reader?

So I have a 3rd party MicroSD card reader that plugs into my iPad. I've just brought photos and videos from my SD cards into Photos where I can view them when I'm out on the road. But videos have always played smoothly for me when I follow that process. Maybe try a different adapter and see if that helps.

I have the 10.5” iPad Pro and consider it a workhorse. I also use LumaFusion, and I’ve had no issues at all editing and/or viewing 4K video. I do have the Apple SD card reader, and the main reason I went with it was because it does not require its own app to use.

If you have never done a full backup with iTunes and a full factory reset of the latest iOS, you may want to. Just like Windows computers, an iPad’s configuration can get buggy over time, and a nice fresh software install can remedy most issues.

I used my iPad Pro 10.5" and LumaFusion to edit many videos from my Air with no problems before I moved to the 11".

This is indeed unusual, however LumaFusion's support team is absolutely outstanding - just open a ticket with them and you'll be looked after. You get to talk to actual engineers instead of generic staff, they will help.

Hi all, thanks for all the responses ?

I made a 60 mile round trip today to pick up an Apple Lightning Camera Kit Cable USB 3.0. I plugged a USB-C cable into the back of the MA, and the USB end into the Apple cable. Download speeds were very quick.

AND!... I'm happy to report flawless footage imported into Photos on the iPad. Hurrah!

I suppose the only minor concern I now have, is that the file sizes are massive. 256GB model is though, so should be ok really. Thanks again all.

Reactions: IShouldBeWorking
Hi all, thanks for all the responses ?

I made a 60 mile round trip today to pick up an Apple Lightning Camera Kit Cable USB 3.0. I plugged a USB-C cable into the back of the MA, and the USB end into the Apple cable. Download speeds were very quick.

AND!... I'm happy to report flawless footage imported into Photos on the iPad. Hurrah!

I suppose the only minor concern I now have, is that the file sizes are massive. 256GB model is though, so should be ok really. Thanks again all.
Glad to hear it worked out well for you. Be sure to post some of your work here for us to enjoy. Fly safe.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1