DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Elevation level?

ziceman

Reactions
I done all the setting to flying rules, I live in countryside in northern ireland and like flying around here but my Elevation already is 488 ft and law here is 400ft and also in my line of sight have wind turbines that are another 400ft from ground to tip of blade.

I flew near it and realised the drone was at it maximum height and definitely would not clear it [emoji45]

Would the drone if coming back on RTH avoid the wind turbines when blades are going at fall speed, could I set for return to home a wee bit higher just in my area and change on different locations.

Thanks in advance.

It should be 400 ft above you current elevation. Personally, I would set my max height to be comfortably over the highest obstacle you'll be flying near, just in case you need to clear it. Your RTH should ALWAYS be higher than the obstacles you have any chance of getting behind. To not do so can be dangerous as a loss of signal could initiate a RTH and crash and fall if it hit a building / tree / turbine! Personally I never use the RTH, it's there as an emergency, so if it kicks in I want it up high enough!

Another good thing to do is have a pre-flight list that starts with taking your gimbal lock off, and ends with checking your RTH height. Some firmware updates will reset this!

Cheers!

Reactions: ziceman
I live at 5280'. So yes, it's 400 ft from your take off elevation. I doubt there are any wind turbines that are anywhere near that height. Just make sure you RTH is higher than the highest thing from your take off point.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom