DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Emergency Stop Mode??

All nice hypothetical scenarios which happen how often?
And last for how long?
In over five years on these forums, I've heard the suggestion many times but never seen a report of anyone using CSC to stop one of those situations.
A compass error doesn't cause the drone to hurtle away, out of control.
Hands off and it hovers there doing slow, lazy spirals.
Thrown a prop? .. That drone is already on its way down toward the ground. CSC isn't going to do much to help.
IMU issues? I had that once myself. The drone could climb or descend - just not fly straight.
There was no need to CSC to get it to the ground quickly.
Unexpected Atti mode? That could happen (rarely) but hands off and the drone slows and you've always got the ability to climb or descend.

Unexpected emergencies are rare and usually don't last very long.
The flyer initially uses their time trying to sort out the problem and by the time they work out there is no other way but to pull the CSC pin, its too late anyway. The drone is already on the ground or a wall or a tree.

The emergency CSC to prevent a catastrophic tragedy is an exciting hypothetical but rarely (if ever) happens.

Sorry, I'm not following.
If you have the RC connection, you can steer or climb away from trouble.
If you have lost connection, you can't CSC anyway.
It's hypothetical that the brakes fail on a car .....but it does happen.

Emergency shut down is just that - you need to do it quickly and immediately.
CSC gives you that ability..... whatever the reason.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Emergency shut down is just that - you need to do it quickly and immediately.
CSC gives you that ability..... whatever the reason.
Used at least 20X more after a crash rather than before one.

Lots of hypotheticals here, but I CsCd the other day ( or tried to, long story for another day) because quite frankly I preferred taking my drone back for repair than wait for several days or weeks to have it drop out of a very tall tree (Magic mini, no oa). It didn’t work out and, as I said, long story.

First time and hopefully last. Things (mod edit ) can sometimes happen very quickly and in tight circumstances. CsC’s is a last resort and I guess one DJI thought they had to put in to comply.

Also, everyone is a newbie at some point and made mistakes that can be dangerous. Reading the manuals doesn’t cover every scenario and there can be OS nuances for the various fly apps (Litchi, DJI fly, Dronelink etc);that are very easy to miss. Better a dead drone than an accident. Just my thoughts on the subject.

Didn’t matter as drone got busted up anyway.

Low flying aircraft Coming toward me. It happened to me on a much bigger hex drone. I saw a plain coming but didn’t know how high they were. I made the decision to cut motors and let it fall from sky. I have video of this somewhere. The drone headed towards the ground upside down. Started props about 100 ft over the ground and it flipped back right side up and stopped in the air about 40 ft over ground. Yes it was before faa altitude restrictions. That heavy drone needed about 60 ft to slow and stop. Whew.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jridout