DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ever see a drone flying while traveling around?

Colorado_scott

Reactions
Disclaimer: I have decided NOT to buy a drone for many reasons, but mainly the lack of realistic places to fly. Some will argue this, some will agree. But driving around today I thought to myself, I have NEVER see a drone flying around Colorado, in the areas I go - and I travel within 100 miles of my home on a regular basis. What does this tell me? There are so many answers to that question I could not list them all here - but I wonder how many users actually see other drones flying around. Perhaps it's good I (we) don't see many as people would complain and 'there goes another flying site'. I wonder how many people have drones - as if I read, and watch YouTube, I would think many people have them for hobby purposes. Yet, I see none. I'm wondering of the people reading this actually see drones flying around or are pilots actually taking care not to fly in public? I actually see more remote control foam planes at the park, than I do drones (none). Just an observation.

ive never seen any myself but i know a few that has em in my town.

Its hard for me to believe you can't find tons of fantastic places to fly in Colorado within reasonable distances. Colorado has some of the most beautiful scenery in all of the U.S. & from a brief glance at a Air Space Map the available airspace looks wide open.

getting ready to launch mine, I hear the coveted beep sequence, look to the source and not 1 but 2 MP's hovering 50' from my position.

this was at Shoreline Village, Long Beach, CA last weekend.

Reactions: buzzbuggy1970
getting ready to launch mine, I hear the coveted beep sequence, look to the source and not 1 but 2 MP's hovering 50' from my position.

I’m going to LOng beach to fly. I’m tired of flying up the hill. I was going to fly this weekend in the canon pass but the weather does look good.

I never see anyone when I fly. I like it like that

Reactions: Johnnyaibo
I’m going to LOng beach to fly. I’m tired of flying up the hill. I was going to fly this weekend in the canon pass but the weather does look good.

I never see anyone when I fly. I like it like that
shoreline village is so awesome to fly at night!

watch out for the cable at 1:43! I didn't see it during my daytime recon.

The Parsippany, NJ Kiwanis club hosts an annual event called "Touch a Truck", in which they charge a small admission fee and children can climb into anything on display and sit behind the wheel, blow the horn, etc. of any vehicle the town displays. In 2016 Tech Toys, the local hobby shop was asked to put up a display of RC ground pounders and drones. I flew their Yuneec Typhoon Q500+. Since the location was within 5 miles of Morristown Airport I called their tower and operations manager and informed them of time, height, location a week in advance, and they appreciated the info. I flew about 6 batteries and stayed above the buildings. If you follow the link, watch at 8:43 underneath me in the grass next to the building wall a quad started up. I don't know who this was, but it wasn't authorized by the club or Tech Toys.
So I have seen a few small quads in my neighborhood that the kids use, but at least this one is documented while I was flying.

Jake

I cant see my own Mavic Pro when it is out 2000 feet and 400 feet up and you expect that when one is just driving around and looking at the sky you will see a ton of drones? LOL!

Last year I was out at Sharkfin Cove near Santa Cruz CA. It was golden hour and I was out flying the Mavic Pro . It was epic conditions. Low wind , great light and waves. Then I heard the all too familar buzz of a Phantom Series Drone. Think it was the Phantom 3 Pro or the 4.

Since I was one of the early adopters of the Mavic Pro and very few were released to the public the Phantom drone operator whizzed overhead and stopped dead over me with the camera looking down. It was great as I flew back to my spot and then trailed around behind him for a bit . Then Kicked in Sport Mode and flew over the top of him. It was a thumbs up moment all the way.

Here is a snap from that video that shows him flying. You can click the image to expand.

I was at a week long event in 2016 in the Fort Davis, Texas area. There, they had a couple of other Phantom fliers and one of those gas helicopter guys who can fly inhumanly with it. Also, I was a home was flying and was coming in when another Phantom screamed over head about 200' up. It eventually turned back our way a couple of minutes later so I went up to meet it. I never saw it in the air again.

I've been flying since April 2016, and those are the only ones I've seen even though I've been to areas where you'd think they would have been buzzing everywhere. I guess it is good that it isn't that way in reality.

Only seen another drone flying three times here in the UK. Once near to Frome, it was a Mavic but at the very edge of LOS from me. Another time, a Phantom flying at Charterhouse on the Mendips. On the beach at Berrow on the North Somerset coast.

Only seen other drones twice and both times on holiday. First a phantom in Dominican Republic over an amazing beach, second at a ski resort in Italy, also a phantom, coincidentally it was flying the same route my MP was flying the day before.

Disclaimer: I have decided NOT to buy a drone for many reasons, but mainly the lack of realistic places to fly. Some will argue this, some will agree. But driving around today I thought to myself, I have NEVER see a drone flying around Colorado, in the areas I go - and I travel within 100 miles of my home on a regular basis. What does this tell me? There are so many answers to that question I could not list them all here - but I wonder how many users actually see other drones flying around. Perhaps it's good I (we) don't see many as people would complain and 'there goes another flying site'. I wonder how many people have drones - as if I read, and watch YouTube, I would think many people have them for hobby purposes. Yet, I see none. I'm wondering of the people reading this actually see drones flying around or are pilots actually taking care not to fly in public? I actually see more remote control foam planes at the park, than I do drones (none). Just an observation.
Where are you in Colorado? I'm down in the 4 corners area and have flown all over the place and seen several Phantoms and Inspires flying around in my area too. As James_mav said, there are tons of amazing and beautiful places in CO just waiting to be visited. I just need to get out and start exploring more locations (and stop crashing:D).-CF

Is it ok to fly there as far as rules, etc? I get hesitant because of the crowd of people around.

I was flying from my driveway last weekend and after taking off looking around in the sky noticed another drone pass by in the distance.

Reactions: JSKCKNIT

That's very interesting. I'm a totally newbie to drones, but to be honest, I've only ever once seen one flying around in my town.

I'm on the West Slope in the North Fork valley, which is very beautiful, and I've only ever seen one drone. I hate the idea of bothering people with it, and I think the are a lot of paranoid people out here, which wouldn't help. But the Mavic is so quite and small, its been easy for me to enjoy flying and filming without bothering people.

Where in Colorado are you?

I was leaving work one day, and saw a guy with a Mavic Pro in the Parking lot, getting ready to Fly. Stopped to talk to him, he had been hired to take photos of my work place. Which I though was pretty cool. He was getting paid about $100 to take three photos of each side of the building at three different elevations and distance away from the building. So left him alone to do it. Except it was a very windy day, so hope he didn't have a problem.

I've seen drones flying on the Coast of California when we were at an RV park. Also in Stockton, CA during a fireworks display. Pretty cool. I live in the country so have plenty of places to fly. I also plan to fly around the California Delta on the Sacramento River, etc. Lots of places there.

Reactions: Banned
I've seen the occasional drone here but it's rare although it's a reasonably rural area. I think for a lot of people, drones are still very expensive and the cheap ones are not great but I think when you can get a Spark level drone for around £100-£200, that's when they'll start to be about in larger numbers.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure