DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Everest from 39,000 feet.

Dale D

Reactions
Site
vimeo.com
In the year 2000, at age 62 I did the trek to Kala Pattar, 18,500ft and looked down at Everest Base camp (17,500 feet- 17 days on trail) and saw the Everest massif from Kala Pattar (18,500 feet marked on the map). I received this insert today in my NationalGeographic Magazine, featuring Mt Everest on the cover. The image was taken from a base camp, the drone was flown to 3900 feet away and 26 image panorama taken.The photographer had 15 minutes of battery life due to the extreme cold. I thought I would share it with the Forum. You might need to scroll to see entire image.Everest from 3,900 feet.jpg

In the year 2000, at age 62 I did the trek to Kala Pattar, 18,500ft and looked down at Everest Base camp (17,500 feet- 17 days on trail) and saw the Everest massif from Kala Pattar (18,500 feet marked on the map). I received this insert today in my NationalGeographic Magazine, featuring Mt Everest on the cover. The image was taken from a base camp, the drone was flown to 3900 feet away and 26 image panorama taken.The photographer had 15 minutes of battery life due to the extreme cold. I thought I would share it with the Forum. You might need to scroll to see entire image.View attachment 106288
WOW how cool is that. Great achievement on your part. How great would it be to have a drone with you, if you could concentrate enough, on Everest. 8700 meters!. The Po2 is like 50.(150 at sea level). Did you need O2? Very cool submission.

Reactions: Hauptmann
Yes- it was indeed on my bucket list. We flew from Kathmandu to an airport (Lukla) at 9,000 feet (2743 meters) and started hiking from there with a sherpa and 14 staff (cooks, porters, aides to set up camp , dishwashers, etc). The staff dwindled to about 5 as we used up food. We camped every night for 17 day round trip. We did not go to base camp because you cannot see the top of the mountain for photos from base camp, so we hiked 1000 feet (304 meters higher than base camp (Kala Pattar) to photograph the mountain. Not a technical climb (e.g.: no pitons, ropes, etc). Just a very hard hike. Our gear was carried by porters. The altitude was difficult (the oxygen was 30% less than sea level). No Oxygen was carried or used or needed. If I had the drone then, I would have had some really great shots and videos. Attached are some photos from my trip.

Attachments

• Khumbu Glacier-looking south-April 16,2000 -.jpg
    Khumbu Glacier-looking south-April 16,2000 -.jpg
    791.8 KB · Views: 103
  • Looking back at Everest-leaving.jpg
    Looking back at Everest-leaving.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 104
  • Mt Everest and Khumbu.PS.-April 16,2000 -.jpg
    Mt Everest and Khumbu.PS.-April 16,2000 -.jpg
    600.9 KB · Views: 99
  • Mt Everest-Nuptse, Lhotse-April 16,2000 -3.jpg
    Mt Everest-Nuptse, Lhotse-April 16,2000 -3.jpg
    738.9 KB · Views: 96
Yes- it was indeed on my bucket list. We flew from Kathmandu to an airport (Lukla) at 9,000 feet (2743 meters) and started hiking from there with a sherpa and 14 staff (cooks, porters, aides to set up camp , dishwashers, etc). The staff dwindled to about 5 as we used up food. We camped every night for 17 day round trip. We did not go to base camp because you cannot see the top of the mountain for photos from base camp, so we hiked 1000 feet (304 meters higher than base camp (Kala Pattar) to photograph the mountain. Not a technical climb (e.g.: no pitons, ropes, etc). Just a very hard hike. Our gear was carried by porters. The altitude was difficult (the oxygen was 30% less than sea level). No Oxygen was carried or used or needed. If I had the drone then, I would have had some really great shots and videos. Attached are some photos from my trip.

Wow! @Dale D thise shots are so cool. What an amazing experience! Thanks for sharing them with us!

Hi Dale, All I can say about those photographs is WOW! One question, though. The title of your post is "Everest from 39,000 Feet". I didn't get that issue of NG magazine yet, so I don't know what they said. Are you saying that they sent their drone 10,000 feet higher than Everest?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjd54