DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Exposure Composition Dial or Camera Dial on Rightside of Controller and Histogram Question

Dopper

Reactions
Can someone help me understand what the dial does on the right side of my controller and how it changes the histogram? At first I thought it was a way to change my shutter speed without going into setting but now, I'm not sure.
I am not knowledgable in camera settings so I am watching a lot of videos hoping to educate myself. Frankly, it's all very confusing to me so I apologize if this is a nuisance question.
Does the dial affect my shutter speeds or is it simply a brightness dial for LCD screen that has little/no effect on my actual recorded video?
I have watched some video's explaining histogram. If you change your shutter speed to correctly get the exposure correct on your screen then as you fly around (the exposure is always changing) so how can you possibly manually set that to compensate for sun, water, clouds reflections, etc?
I would really appreciate any help or something I could watch or read to try to understand how I can get a correct balance exposure on a moving and ever changing light conditions on my MP.
Thank you so much!

Can someone help me understand what the dial does on the right side of my controller and how it changes the histogram? At first I thought it was a way to change my shutter speed without going into setting but now, I'm not sure.
I am not knowledgable in camera settings so I am watching a lot of videos hoping to educate myself. Frankly, it's all very confusing to me so I apologize if this is a nuisance question.
Does the dial affect my shutter speeds or is it simply a brightness dial for LCD screen that has little/no effect on my actual recorded video?
I have watched some video's explaining histogram. If you change your shutter speed to correctly get the exposure correct on your screen then as you fly around (the exposure is always changing) so how can you possibly manually set that to compensate for sun, water, clouds reflections, etc?
I would really appreciate any help or something I could watch or read to try to understand how I can get a correct balance exposure on a moving and ever changing light conditions on my MP.

The manual refers to it as the Aperture/Shutter Adjustment Dial
It does different things in different camera exposure modes.
Here's what the manual says:
Turn the dial to adjust the exposure compensation (when in Program mode), aperture (when in Aperture Priority and Manual mode), or shutter (when in Shutter Priority Mode).

If you are unsure of what you are doing with camera settings and want some clues for how to start out:
Try putting the camera in Aperture Priority mode, set your aperture (4 might be a good aperture setting to use), set your ISO to 100, and the camera's metering will set an appropriate shutter speed for you.

Reactions: SpitFire and JS1600
Yes, your exposure will vary tremendously, depending on the scene.

You can deal with this two ways. Easiest, and the one most beginners use, is automatic exposure, Acceptable, but not ideal from an artistic standpoint.

Professionals will plan their scenes, obtain the correct exposure and lock it in place. This provides a clean steady scene which can be edited into the overall project.

There is an icon on the main screen, upper right, to lock the exposure.

To Meta4- Thank you for trying to help! I appreciate it very much!
To Robert Mitchell- Thank you, as well. When I change the camera dial on the right of my controller does that change the exposure on my video or just the brightness of my Go4 app screen?
Can I use that dial to change the exposure during flight to try to compensate for the ever changing conditions? I know not perfect but better then "not changing it" at all, right?

When I change the camera dial on the right of my controller does that change the exposure on my video or just the brightness of my Go4 app screen?
It's changing camera settiings, not screen brightness of your tablet/phone.
It still works much teh same as the M2 pro except there is no control for aperture.
The description from the manual says:
Camera Settings Dial
Turn the dial to adjust camera settings such as ISO, shutter speed, without letting go of the remote controller
You are able to select which parameter you wish to change and then change it
Can I use that dial to change the exposure during flight to try to compensate for the ever changing conditions? I know not perfect but better then "not changing it" at all, right?
You could if you want to be doing full manual control or you can let the camera's metering system take care of that for you.

If you’re using auto exposure the camera automatically adjusts for the changing conditions.

To answer your question simply, the wheel basically allows you to over/underexpose your footage.

Since you are new to photography, trying to talk you through camera settings and theory, would be way beyond the scope of this forum.

For now, auto exposure will adjust your image adequately, for most situations. Learn everything you can about how the three essential controls affect your video: 1. shutter speed. 2.ISO, and 3. Aperture (ND filters).

Once you are comfortable with the concepts, you can start using manual control s, or a combination of auto and setting your own preferences.

Then remember the following basics, because these will be essential towards truly exceptional footage. Write it down, book mark it, it’s that important on the Mavic Pro.

1.Use the lowest ISO possible to reduce noise.
2.Try to get your shutter speed down around 1/60 using ND filters.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpitFire
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54