DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

External app photo syncing at low resolution

kona

Reactions
One thing that is far suboptimal about the Mavic is that there's no way to transmit the videos and photos at higher quality directly to the phone/tablet as that would take care of uploading it to the cloud without the multiple hassles of having to take out the SD card, plug it into the computer, filling up the computer, uploading it through a browser, etc. That's so last decade! I really hope DJI will enable direct streaming of the entire content of the card, or at least for selected movies/photos, to mobile devices attached to the RC -- the bandwidth required would surely be tiny compared to all the stuff that streams during flight, and would take almost no time and battery to transmit. DJI, if you're listening, please do this!!

But now to my question: videos transmitted to the RC during flight in 720p actually are exported to my phone and therefore Google Photos automatically, so I can immediately see some of my results in the cloud, and gauge whether I need to retake, etc. However for some reason the (much less data intensive) photos only export from the DJI app in ULTRA LOW RESOLUTION, like a tiny thumbnail that's completely useless. What would have motivated this choice, and is there a way to change it?

The photos are visible in high resolution in the DJI app, but from there there's only really stupid ways to export them, i.e., no way to export them straight to the phones memory as the DJI app does for videos automatically. Again, this makes no sense whatsoever so I wonder if there's a setting I can't find to make it also export photos at full resolution, like the videos. Thanks for reading.

I think you are underestimating the amount of data that a 4k file contains. To stream 4k would take a huge amount of bandwidth much more than the data being used to control the aircraft. It takes approx 8X the data to transmit 4k over 1080.

It is amazing in itself that they are able to stream 1080 (usually) without disruption. Think about how long it takes to upload a 4k video to youtube, and you begin to get some idea just how much data is involved here.

Robert, don't you think that if the drone can transmit 1080p whIle it is a mile away it should be able to transmit 4k when it's sitting a foot from the controller?

But my question was about the app not exporting photos at full res to the memory of the phone. Clearly that is not a hardware limitation.

The Hangar360 app does transfer full format pics wireless from the Mavic, so that is definitely possible. Should be no problem with video either. Maybe not while flying but as an option after landing would be good.

Kona, you are looking only in the cache folder on your phone if you are seeing the tiny thumbnail pics. Look a little harder on your phone and there is is another folder that DJI stores a higher resolution photo straight from drone as you take each pic same as video.

I have a similar question. I am using a Samsung Galaxy S7 with the DJI GO4 app. I get the following results: With "Sync HD photos" option on, I sometimes get full resolution photos downloaded to my phone and sometimes only get the 960x540 resolution versions. Anyone know why it may change? I also see the tiny thumbnails that often come in much delayed. It also seems like if I don't get the high resolution photos then the 960x540 versions and thumbnails don't come in until later. Seems like entering the editor in GO4 app sometimes causes photos to come into camera gallery. Anyone else see this and have any solution? I understand I can get the full resolution photos from SD card but I would like to get higher res photos to my phone easier. Seems odd that video resolution to phone is sometimes higher than photo resolution. I could make a new thread but it seemed related.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonrva89