DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

External battery or batteries effect on flight handling

Badtoro

Reactions
So, a little while ago I bought a battery clip from MaxxUAV EU. That's as far as I have got with that idea thus far. The idea being more minutes in the air rather than extra distance.

A possible issue presents itself for the type of flying I do, "nap of the earth" in military terms. Very low level flights herding sheep. I am quite sure I have cut vegetation with the props. Plenty of higher stuff for spotting them as well, but the low level ability to push them in directions is critical to why I bought my drone.

If I add an extra battery, or batteries, how will this affect handling at low level. Some times the sheep start to run and I must fly sideways at speed to both get ahead of them and keep them in view at the same time. Basically, will the added weight turn my agile M2 into a pig prone to crashing?

Thanks!

As far as I know, you can't add additional power supplies to the Mavic without modifying the drone. Regarding the additional weight: there's no problem. The Mavic does fine with some stuff loaded: Will it fly?

EDIT: I see, the clip solves the problem how to add additional batteries. I'd say up to 300g there shouldn't be an issue. But I don't know how battery life vs. more power consumption because of the additional weight acts.

You will get more flight time but more batteries is more weight to keep in the air. Do they say how much extra time is achieved?
The M2P is pretty rock solid in the air so I think it should handle ok. My main concern would be this statement from their site, "*** Please note, the adapter covers the top upward obstacle sensor. It's recommended to turn that off before using. "
That sensor can not be turned off at all. That one and the identical one on the bottom initialize upon power up and can not be disabled. I just hope that isn't a problem while flying. They do also state, "USE AT YOUR OWN RISK ".
I would give it some test runs before using it in the field to make sure it dosen't go crazy.

So, a little while ago I bought a battery clip from MaxxUAV EU. That's as far as I have got with that idea thus far. The idea being more minutes in the air rather than extra distance.

A possible issue presents itself for the type of flying I do, "nap of the earth" in military terms. Very low level flights herding sheep. I am quite sure I have cut vegetation with the props. Plenty of higher stuff for spotting them as well, but the low level ability to push them in directions is critical to why I bought my drone.

If I add an extra battery, or batteries, how will this affect handling at low level. Some times the sheep start to run and I must fly sideways at speed to both get ahead of them and keep them in view at the same time. Basically, will the added weight turn my agile M2 into a pig prone to crashing?

Thanks!

Turn all your gains up to 110 and you shouldn’t have an issue. You can go up to 120 if there’s still an issue.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RWShepard