DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Extra battery? A powerbank? or Both?

SecureHttp

Reactions
I like to fly my drone for fun and for shooting videos/pictures, I like to stay in the air and fly for as long as possible. I live near the sea side, so the wind is often strong which drains batteries quickly.

I have a mini 2 fly more combo, and I was wondering, should I buy another extra battery or a powerbank? Or, should I buy both the powerbank and an extra battery? Which option is the best value for money.

Buy the extra battery. To maintain battery health you want to wait for the battery to cool down before you try to recharge it. But can get a battery bank or car charger to charge on the way home. But best to wait about an hour after use before charging

Reactions: Thomas B
Purchasing an entire bank without enough batteries to fill it up would pointless. Why not purchase one more battery to completely fill your current power bank and have one in the drone? Or purchase another power bank and 4 batteries.

Always have and take with you more fully charged batteries than you think you’ll need...

If you going to be out for more than a day get a car charger... like the Hanatora... love mine.

I carry 4 batteries with my Mini as well as my M2P with its batteries way more than I need.
But in my kit I also have a battery bank. Not to recharge my drone batteries but just to have . Have never used it except when our power went out to keep my phone/tablets charged up. Really no
need to carry it but just a habit.
Is small,not high and I think everyone should have several just in
case . Never know if you get out and your vehicle battery dies
then your phone battery does . Or a storm hits and kills your power.
at home.
Well it happens?‍♂️

Reactions: Tony McDrone
When I’m hiking and off grid for a few days I take a 26800mAh powerbank, with the Mini flight time I seldom fly two batteries back to back so no worries about charging hot batteries (Normally charge up at night while in the tent). I’m becoming a fan of the larger controller now also, as it’s large capacity battery is a vast improvement it also allows some level of phone charge backup if powerback lets you down.

I have a powerbank that's 20000mAh. It charges a battery in under and hour, and has sufficient capacity for about 3.5 charges. For the fast charging, it has to support usb-c pd. (charges at about 28W.

If airtime is your priority, get powerbank first, if you find sufficient with 3 batteries, then stay with that, otherwise purchase the 4th battery (perhaps even a Mini 1 battery if you can find a good deal on one). If you're near power then get yourself a parallel charger. Those will keep you in the air pretty very long.

I was in the market for a 4th battery but with parallel charger and spare Mini 1 batteries Im not in such a rush to buy one (esp with limited supply/scalpers etc). Flight time between the two batteries seems closely comparable.

If airtime is your priority, get powerbank first, if you find sufficient with 3 batteries, then stay with that, otherwise purchase the 4th battery (perhaps even a Mini 1 battery if you can find a good deal on one). If you're near power then get yourself a parallel charger. Those will keep you in the air pretty very long.

I was in the market for a 4th battery but with parallel charger and spare Mini 1 batteries Im not in such a rush to buy one (esp with limited supply/scalpers etc). Flight time between the two batteries seems closely comparable.
Careful with third party chargers. The MM1 and MM2 batteries have different voltages and so you need a charger specific to one, other, or both.
An MM1 charger will undercharge an MM2 battery. An MM2 charger will overcharge an MM1 battery.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929