DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA Investigating Drone Crash at Celtics Party.

Every accident is unfortunate, but it appears that everything was done legally. We'll know more when (if) the FAA report is provided.

Derrick said, " I could have had my fingers chopped off if I was holding my hand the other way".

Chopped OFF? 🤔

"However, this incident has unfortunately left many unnerved and disappointed. The city must implement stricter regulations and oversight to prevent future occurrences.”

I'm sure a lot of the details are exaggerated but one thing is for sure: Here comes the military district of Boston excuse for new drone rules for everybody anywhere in the entire city.

My understanding is that the Mavic 3 does not fall under any categorgy 1-4 so either the CNN pilot applied for a waiver (which likely means the drone was equipped with additional safety equipment) or flew the drone illegally. Is that what we are waiting to learn from the FAA report?

Reactions: The Droning Company
My understanding is that the Mavic 3 does not fall under any categorgy 1-4 so either the CNN pilot applied for a waiver (which likely means the drone was equipped with additional safety equipment) or flew the drone illegally. Is that what we are waiting to learn from the FAA report?
I believe the claim was something along the lines of "we were not flying over people."

That is going to be a hard claim to support, as it fell out of the sky and landed on two people it was not flying over 🤣
Check here for more commentary on the incident:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

At this point, there is a lot of speculation, and speculation and facts are two separate things. The FAA is investigating the incident, and I say wait until their report is made public to find the facts about the case.

I believe the claim was something along the lines of "we were not flying over people."
As @MARK (LI) has mentioned, it's going to be hard to claim "not over people" since several people were indeed struck by the UAS. Even if they weren't directly "OVER" their flight path (even if unintended) intersected the people on the ground. I'm pretty sure that any Governing Body is going to easily make the connection of "striking a person" with the flightpath intersecting people. Lack of Risk Mitigation does not relieve full responsibility for EVERY aspect of the flight/incident.

I saw a video of a Celtics game....the crowd arriving...that sure seemed like it was shot by a drone:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

this seemed pretty dangerous to me, even with a prop guard, because it sure appears the drone was flying at a fast speed. I'm assuming it's an Avata although I suppose it might be a Mini with prop guards

I saw a video of a Celtics game....the crowd arriving...that sure seemed like it was shot by a drone:

this seemed pretty dangerous to me, even with a prop guard, because it sure appears the drone was flying at a fast speed. I'm assuming it's an Avata although I suppose it might be a Mini with prop guards
Does the FAA have control over what a drone does inside the building?

Does the FAA have control over what a drone does inside the building?

Oh this was INSIDE? Like not an Open Air Arena? If that is the case, the FAA shouldn't have any jurisdiction over the event/incident but I somehow believe they will get "inserted" somehow or another.

Oh this was INSIDE? Like not an Open Air Arena? If that is the case, the FAA shouldn't have any jurisdiction over the event/incident but I somehow believe they will get "inserted" somehow or another.
No I think the Mavic 3 Cine was outside when it crashed, they talked about a lamp post, etc. I was replying to the video @moldorf posted of an FPV flying overhead of thousands of people calling it pretty dangerous. Honestly I don't think it is dangerous to fly the FPV overhead at all but my definition of dangerous has more to do with risk to severe injury or death, not so much as an accident. In the short video (which I don't think the FAA rules over) should be proof enough that flying a small drone over uninvolved crowds isn't that bad regardless if there is a roof over your head or not. And crowds don't have to panic and run when they see a drone, just waive and smile and have fun. If there is an accident, it's likely just that...an accident and should be treated like any other small accident that happens at the large indoor gatherings.

I agree we should wait for the FAA report for the outdoor accident with the CNN drone. Personally, I don't think the definition of "flying over people" should solely rely on if someone below get hits by a falling drone. Otherwise....it works both ways. ;)

The article states that the drone hit a tree and light pole....that doesn't sound like inside a building...but who knows?.....let's wait and hear the FAA's findings
I saw it somewhere else but don't remember where but it sounds like the CNN drone that hit the light post was outdoors; they were on the fringe and doing laps outside the venue when they going thru the trees. Yes, let's wait for the FAA findings for a better conclusion.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wforakerjr