DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA Part 107 Training

Watash48

Reactions
This is for any pilots that have trained for and passed the FAA Part 107 test.

I respect those who have been able to pass the test simply by doing self study via on line research, however I am one of those that need more guidance and am looking for class training recommendations.

Please let me know what company you used to prep you for the test and the percentage of your final score.

Thank you,

I plan on following the rules of flight safety.

This is for any pilots that have trained for and passed the FAA Part 107 test.

I respect those who have been able to pass the test simply by doing self study via on line research, however I am one of those that need more guidance and am looking for class training recommendations.

Please let me know what company you used to prep you for the test and the percentage of your final score.

Thank you,

I plan on following the rules of flight safety.
I just passed my FAA Part 107 last month. I think the best place to start is watching Tony Northrups You Tube video FAA part 107. Its about 1hr 45 min as I recall. It gives you a really good idea on what is required to pass the test. Watch it a couple of times to get the basic requirements of the test.
The test has very little to do with actual drone flight, it focuses more on operating in the National Air Space. There are a lot of questions about VFR aeronautical charts, weather and air space classifications.
There are a lot of free sites that have actual test questions on them and you can self test your self to see how you are doing as you progress along.
The FAA also has a section that will give you 40 questions to answer as a quiz. The actual test has 60 questions that they pull from a pool of around 200 questions so no 2 tests are the same.
I bought a VFR aeronautical chart for my area from Amazon for $10 because as you get into studying the chart and learning to use it having it laid out before you is a great help.
Also for another $25 from Amazon buy the Remote Pilot FAA Knowledge Test Prep book from Gleim Aviation. In my opinion it is the best study guide out there. It will give you all the information you need and how to study for the test. It has actual FAA test questions that you may see on your test along with the correct answer and why it is the correct answer. The key to passing the test is actually know how the NAS works not just memorizing answers to the quetions.
There is a lot to the test and some of the questions are tricky but if you study you should have no problem.
So to actually answer you question. I did not use a on line class, I self taught myself and passed with a score of 88. If I had known about the Gleim manual before I took the test I would have done better.
Good luck

I just passed my FAA Part 107 last month. I think the best place to start is watching Tony Northrups You Tube video FAA part 107. Its about 1hr 45 min as I recall. It gives you a really good idea on what is required to pass the test. Watch it a couple of times to get the basic requirements of the test.
The test has very little to do with actual drone flight, it focuses more on operating in the National Air Space. There are a lot of questions about VFR aeronautical charts, weather and air space classifications.
There are a lot of free sites that have actual test questions on them and you can self test your self to see how you are doing as you progress along.
The FAA also has a section that will give you 40 questions to answer as a quiz. The actual test has 60 questions that they pull from a pool of around 200 questions so no 2 tests are the same.
I bought a VFR aeronautical chart for my area from Amazon for $10 because as you get into studying the chart and learning to use it having it laid out before you is a great help.
Also for another $25 from Amazon buy the Remote Pilot FAA Knowledge Test Prep book from Gleim Aviation. In my opinion it is the best study guide out there. It will give you all the information you need and how to study for the test. It has actual FAA test questions that you may see on your test along with the correct answer and why it is the correct answer. The key to passing the test is actually know how the NAS works not just memorizing answers to the quetions.
There is a lot to the test and some of the questions are tricky but if you study you should have no problem.
So to actually answer you question. I did not use a on line class, I self taught myself and passed with a score of 88. If I had known about the Gleim manual before I took the test I would have done better.
Good luck
Valuable information, thank you Terradriller.

I just passed the test on the 19 of November

I got a 90% a little over a week ago. Used King Schools. Took me probably 6-8 hours going through the material over two days (sat,sun) and took the test the following Tuesday.

King Schools

I got a 90% a little over a week ago. Used King Schools. Took me probably 6-8 hours going through the material over two days (sat,sun) and took the test the following Tuesday.

King Schools
Did you have any prior experience or knowledge of the sectional charts prior to training with King Schools?

I also used kings school

I also used udemy online course for my sectional charts and weather training, and I also used Drone School online course.

Last edited:
I am also a software and network engineer. I got a lot of my computer training in the military(U.S.M.C). Master of Science in Computers and Electronics. i did some map reading and sectional charts on active duty, so I was kind of similar with them, meaning that I have seem them before. i learn a lot from the online courses that took prior to taking my Part 107 test.

I took all of theses course. I studied after work, for about 6 weeks. I self taught myself. The reason that I took so many and different course, because I wanted to get different people views on what the test is like, because I also had no prior knowledge of charts and weather forecasting. I learned a lot about Airports also.

I worked as a computer tech in the Marines and was around helicopters and fighter jets 24 seven for 16 years, but I never really needed to know the airstrip layout. That was not my job.

I hope you can see these links, in this forum:

1. https://www.udemy.com/aviation-weather-for-part-107-uas-drone-remote-pilots/learn/v4/overview

2. https://www.udemy.com/airspace-and-charts-for-part-107-uas-drone-remote-pilots/learn/v4/overview

3. https://www.udemy.com/remote-pilot-certificate-test-prep-for-part-107-exam/learn/v4/overview

4. Curriculum | Drone Pilot Ground School

This site has lots of test:
5. https://3dr.com/faa/study-guides/

6. also do not forget about Kings School, I did not pay for this one, because by the time that I found out about it, I had also paid for the above courses and taken them. Lots of studying for me. My wife said that I was acting like I was studying for a bar exam.

good luck.

Reactions: Watash48
sorry...I see you have already pass your Part 107

Welcome
Good luck
I think you will do fine

Reactions: Watash48
I used RemotePilot101 video course... I see it's on 1/2 price sale right now for $149, I got it way back when it first started for $99 on special, so still pretty affordable.

The nice thing is you pay ONCE and you are a "member" for life. This is great for me because I'm coming up on my 107 renewal and I've got to start studying again!

I liked the course and the quiz's after every chapter really helped. They also update constantly based on feedback and new questions from their test takers.

I got a 92% last time.... I hope to do at least as well again after studying again!

Cheers

Also the course that I paid for, also are for life.

I took all of theses course. I studied after work, for about 6 weeks. I self taught myself. The reason that I took so many and different course, because I wanted to get different people views on what the test is like, because I also had no prior knowledge of charts and weather forecasting. I learned a lot about Airports also.

I worked as a computer tech in the Marines and was around helicopters and fighter jets 24 seven for 16 years, but I never really needed to know the airstrip layout. That was not my job.

I hope you can see these links, in this forum:

1. https://www.udemy.com/aviation-weather-for-part-107-uas-drone-remote-pilots/learn/v4/overview

2. https://www.udemy.com/airspace-and-charts-for-part-107-uas-drone-remote-pilots/learn/v4/overview

3. https://www.udemy.com/remote-pilot-certificate-test-prep-for-part-107-exam/learn/v4/overview

4. Curriculum | Drone Pilot Ground School

This site has lots of test:
5. FAA Study Guides | 3DR

6. also do not forget about Kings School, I did not pay for this one, because by the time that I found out about it, I had also paid for the above courses and taken them. Lots of studying for me. My wife said that I was acting like I was studying for a bar exam.

good luck.
For anyone looking I just checked out the Udemy courses and apparently they have ridiculous sale at like 93% off for the course so it's 11.99

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143