DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA rec license question

Max L

Reactions
Recreational flyer: So i went online too FAAdronezone. Filled out the jargon, paid the $5, got a FAxxxxxxxx. I realize i need to label my drones with this number on "permanent labels" whick i can do. My question is: thats it? I read something about taking a saftey course.. how do i go about that? And do i just take that and im legal? Im sure this has been covered I'm just awful at navigating forums... hopefully better at navigating a drone ?

Reactions: Jet skier
Recreational flyer: So i went online too FAAdronezone. Filled out the jargon, paid the $5, got a FAxxxxxxxx. I realize i need to label my drones with this number on "permanent labels" whick i can do. My question is: thats it? I read something about taking a saftey course.. how do i go about that? And do i just take that and im legal? Im sure this has been covered I'm just awful at navigating forums... hopefully better at navigating a drone ?
I have a friend who is an FAA investigator. I emailed her the same question. She hit a dead end as well. It appears the FAA is moving toward having recreational flyers take a knowledge review sort of exam but not there yet. I first registered my drone as a rec flyer and then took the remote pilot exam and had to re-register as a commercial use drone. No big deal. I do recommend all sUAS pilots do a study course even if they are only flying recreationally. I learned so very much that is helping me be a better pilot.

I have a friend who is an FAA investigator. I emailed her the same question. She hit a dead end as well. It appears the FAA is moving toward having recreational flyers take a knowledge review sort of exam but not there yet. I first registered my drone as a rec flyer and then took the remote pilot exam and had to re-register as a commercial use drone. No big deal. I do recommend all sUAS pilots do a study course even if they are only flying recreationally. I learned so very much that is helping me be a better pilot.
Ill look into that thanks!

Keep in mind, no matter if your drone is registered, you are registered, you paid $5 or paid $160 every 2 years, it changes nothing in terms of liability. Somehow Congress got the idea that if we make titles, and charge people, it increases safety and makes it all ok.
The thugs that might use drones to do illegal things will no matter what. The honest people will follow rules, but the accidents will not be prevented as it will be in class G airspace where someone is flying low. Of course, don't forget drone pilots cannot talk on the radio to mention their location. You can't make this stuff up, its the fakest system I could imagine, and our poor manned pilots are not any safer than before.
So study because you are personally liable for causing an accident. The only good thing to come out of this part 107 is the study programs like remotepilot101.com and others, many good ones. I'd do it no matter what the government tells you is good for you.

Reactions: w0ger and Simone L
Keep in mind, no matter if your drone is registered, you are registered, you paid $5 or paid $160 every 2 years, it changes nothing in terms of liability. Somehow Congress got the idea that if we make titles, and charge people, it increases safety and makes it all ok.
The thugs that might use drones to do illegal things will no matter what. The honest people will follow rules, but the accidents will not be prevented as it will be in class G airspace where someone is flying low. Of course, don't forget drone pilots cannot talk on the radio to mention their location. You can't make this stuff up, its the fakest system I could imagine, and our poor manned pilots are not any safer than before.
So study because you are personally liable for causing an accident. The only good thing to come out of this part 107 is the study programs like remotepilot101.com and others, many good ones. I'd do it no matter what the government tells you is good for you.
I definitely am going to do a course for my own personal bettering. If there was a specific course to be able to fly legally, I would certainly be looking at that. I just wanna have a good time, not lose the dam thing, and be legal (?for the most part).

Reactions: Simone L
They just can't decide on the price since $160 would be arbitrary, and no one would pay it unless told it was a "commercial fee", meaning "extra tax".

The $160 is Part107 test, if you are flying "commercially".
Its a complete mess. There is no reason to distinguish between commercial or not, just like driving a car for fun or money.
The fact is, there is minimal ongoing actions by the FAA involving drone flying.
They are trying to regulate the heck out of it, meanwhile if you drone can fly in an area, people just do.
Not saying I like it, but people fly all the time in crowded places where I live and nothing is ever done.
Just respect privacy, don't bother people, and don't do risky stuff. Learn what airspace you are flying in too.

Reactions: Max L
The $160 is Part107 test, if you are flying "commercially".
Its a complete mess. There is no reason to distinguish between commercial or not, just like driving a car for fun or money.
The fact is, there is minimal ongoing actions by the FAA involving drone flying.
They are trying to regulate the heck out of it, meanwhile if you drone can fly in an area, people just do.
Not saying I like it, but people fly all the time in crowded places where I live and nothing is ever done.
Just respect privacy, don't bother people, and don't do risky stuff. Learn what airspace you are flying in too.

@jmaeding you're wrong on so many levels.

A) There are ACTIONS going on at every level of UAS you just don't know about it. We have tons if educational/enforcement actions but they aren't publicized unless there is some type in INCIDENT.

B) The "possible" $160 is IF the test is administered like all the other FAA In-Person tests. This fee does not go to the FAA but pays the testing facility. Someone has to pay and I'd rather it be a per-use fee rather than jacking up taxes but that's just my 2-cents. It's possible that if the test/exam is ONLINE ONLY it will be just like our Part 61 pilots who take Part 107 and be totally FREE!

C) But there IS a distinction between driving a car/truck for FUN and For Hire. CDL .....

hmm, hope those hidden, after the fact actions make real pilots feel better.
Thanks for enforcing my argument.

hmm, hope those hidden, after the fact actions make real pilots feel better.
Thanks for enforcing my argument.

Hidden?

Do you get a news crew every time you get a speeding ticket or run a red light?

They aren't HIDDEN they are not publicized (like any other crime) unless it's news worthy.

That's pretty much the end of your null & void argument.

Why the dig on "Real Pilots"? Some of us carry credentials for both sides of this coin so not sure where your tone is going with that one.

It's in the law, but FAA is very late in the implementation.
It sure is, but it won't be required until required by the FAA.

Reactions: dawgpilot
I’m a Mavic Mini owner and will soon also have a Mavic Air 2, so I went ahead and completed the $5 FAA recreational flyer registration and have my FAA registration number.

My question is regarding placement of the FAA registration number on my drones.

Where do you recommend placing the number? What size should the digits be? Do you use a label maker or just write the numbers with a marker?

I’m a Mavic Mini owner and will soon also have a Mavic Air 2, so I went ahead and completed the $5 FAA recreational flyer registration and have my FAA registration number.

My question is regarding placement of the FAA registration number on my drones.

Where do you recommend placing the number? What size should the digits be? Do you use a label maker or just write the numbers with a marker?

It just needs to be on an external surface of the drone. Digits should be large enough so they are readable by a person without using special equipment. (don't get cute and print using microscopic type, etc)

I printed my labels myself and then covered them with clear plastic shipping tape to better protect them, and I placed my label on the side of the drone behind one of the front arms. Seems like some people like placing them on the top of the drone though.

It just needs to be on an external surface of the drone. Digits should be large enough so they are readable by a person without using special equipment. (don't get cute and print using microscopic type, etc)

I printed my labels myself and then covered them with clear plastic shipping tape to better protect them, and I placed my label on the side of the drone behind one of the front arms. Seems like some people like placing them on the top of the drone though.

Thanks, I did the same. Printed labels and used clear packaging tape to place it on the side of my new MA2. Guess I’m legal now.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Part 107 does more for part 61/91 who already know what they are doing, just different craft.

Recreational fliers have absolutely no idea what's going on, and they're going to get everyone in trouble. But the FAA says, just do whatever.

Apparently the story was that FAA did the drone registration thing. But they didn't have CONgress approval to do that, so they got sued (the facts were that the FAA was doing it illegally). The drone registration thing doesn't even make any sense. I'm legal just because I signed up, not because I know what the hell I'm doing. The FAA is really disconnected on this thing in more ways than one. But we're not even registering real drones (that's when you have to register an N number), we're registering 4 propeller jobs. The weight thing doesn't make any sense either. But even if it is less than 1/2 a pound, if it's used for part 107, it still has to be registered. So since the registration racket isn't bad enough, (if it's anything like automotive registration, the government decides that they actually own your car, thanks for letting them know, they'll let you park their car in your driveway, up until the point that they have to make good on some debt...), now they're going to implement another failed idea known as Remote ID instead of ADS-B.

So what's the problem with just "If found, please call..." be so much simpler and less redtape and nobody can read it anyway. But I'm sure the FAA would want to investigate why the quad ended up in a tree...it just happens...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronecc