DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA testing for drone hobbyists?

We knew this was coming...it's just a matter of time before we're all relegated to a 100 yard x 100 yard field somewhere.

I have been flying radio controlled airplanes and helicopters for years. Most RC pilots are very careful and adhere to Academy of Model Aeronautics guidelines which are very concerned with safety.

Then quadcopters/drones become popular and all of a sudden you’ve got tons of new pilots who haven’t been brought up on AMA rules. Go out and buy a drone and go fly.

Go to YouTube and look at drone videos. A significant number of them shows the operators violating the rules about line of sight, not flying over people, altitude limitations, not staying out of the flight path of manned aircraft and other things endangering people. A large number of media stories appear about idiots doing really stupid things. This gives the public and legislators the impetus to impose more strict regulations. Once again a minority of idiots ruin things for everyone. I have my part 107 certificate. I may be wrong but it appears that the new FAA statute is going to require testing of basically all RC pilots, tens or hundreds of thousands of whom scrupulously follow the rules. Many are older and won’t get tested but may quit flying as a result. Perhaps testing and certficating of the new drone pilots will reduce the number of dangerous things many of them do and in that sense it is a good thing but it is punishing a lot of self-regulated RC pilots most of whom wouldn’t dream of doing the dangerous stuff many new drone pilots do.

Not sure this is a bad thing. We all took drivers ed and both written and driving exams to get a drivers license. Why not do the same for UAS? Seems reasonable.

I agree. I took the apt 107 not necessarily because I wanted to use my UAS for commercial reasons. The cost of that $150. I wonder what they are going to charge hobbyists. I can guarantee it will not be free.

Reactions: Drone_guy
I'd welcome the opportunity to to pay a reasonable amount for training and testing with a properly recognised (government and/or CAA) certificate at the end. The problem here in the UK is that most courses cost £1000+ and are aimed at those wanting to use their drones professionally.

Testing is fine, but they are either going to have to do it online, which would lead to a lot of cheating, or establish a hell of a lot more testing centers. The closest one to me is over 200 miles away.

Reactions: ReadyKilowatt
OR, they can make sure drones are MADE not to break the rules. (geofencing etc) Since THAT is the only thing they think testing is going to solve. I can assure you that even if they made it a 4 year college level education they want us to get, the same things will happen. Idiots will fly too far, too high, and where they should not fly at all. Look how many people are on this forum finding ways to circumvent the very few restrictions that come built into the software. roll backs, line editing, extra distance battery packs and antenna amplifiers..........

Even if they make all drones flying by the rules, there will be thousands hacking software, or flying home made drones.

I welcome mandatory aeronautical knowledge testing for ALL drone pilots. Even for some 10-year-old kid with a drone (that isn't a clearly just a toy that has an extremely limited range). The tougher the test the better. Let's educate as many careless people or weed out as many just plain stupid people as we can.

I would even favor that the test be mandatory BEFORE you can purchase a drone. But DJI and others probably have enough money invested in lobbyists that that isn't likely to happen.

Hopefully, the test will be costly enough that people think twice about buying a drone which they will likely only fly a few times before it gathers dust in a closet. And the drone registration fee should be a yearly registration to help raise money to cover the costs for policing efforts to find and fine and/or jail violators.

Mark

Reactions: TerKelDing
I welcome mandatory aeronautical knowledge testing for ALL drone pilots. Even for some 10-year-old kid with a drone (that isn't a clearly just a toy that has an extremely limited range). The tougher the test the better. Let's educate as many careless people or weed out as many just plain stupid people as we can.

I would even favor that the test be mandatory BEFORE you can purchase a drone. But DJI and others probably have enough money invested in lobbyists that that isn't likely to happen.

Hopefully, the test will be costly enough that people think twice about buying a drone which they will likely only fly a few times before it gathers dust in a closet. And the drone registration fee should be a yearly registration to help raise money to cover the costs for policing efforts to find and fine and/or jail violators.

Mark
I agree.

I would like to see a licence for operating a drone, after an IQ test.

As many said before, those who fly dangerously, recklessly and carelessly, are idiots, so they will never pass IQ test.

Mark

But god forbid the government tries to place a similar testing or restrictive methodology on GUNS! Cause guns aren’t dangerous, drones are.

Reactions: bushie
I have been flying radio controlled airplanes and helicopters for years. Most RC pilots are very careful and adhere to Academy of Model Aeronautics guidelines which are very concerned with safety.

Then quadcopters/drones become popular and all of a sudden you’ve got tons of new pilots who haven’t been brought up on AMA rules. Go out and buy a drone and go fly.

Go to YouTube and look at drone videos. A significant number of them shows the operators violating the rules about line of sight, not flying over people, altitude limitations, not staying out of the flight path of manned aircraft and other things endangering people. A large number of media stories appear about idiots doing really stupid things. This gives the public and legislators the impetus to impose more strict regulations. Once again a minority of idiots ruin things for everyone. I have my part 107 certificate. I may be wrong but it appears that the new FAA statute is going to require testing of basically all RC pilots, tens or hundreds of thousands of whom scrupulously follow the rules. Many are older and won’t get tested but may quit flying as a result. Perhaps testing and certficating of the new drone pilots will reduce the number of dangerous things many of them do and in that sense it is a good thing but it is punishing a lot of self-regulated RC pilots most of whom wouldn’t dream of doing the dangerous stuff many new drone pilots do.
Reminds me when CB went nuts. Everyone got one and oh crap. Now they are buying drones. Hope a different pattern develops

Reactions: Drone_guy
OMG...recreational pilots might actually have to learn about regulations and airspace...

As a certificated pilot of both manned and unmanned aircraft I welcome this change and will be very interested to see how it is implemented.

I predict three things:

1. It will be an online test most likely administered by one or more FAA-approved contractors and NOT be free.
2. There will be a feeding frenzy of companies selling online courses for candidates.
3. We will still have pilots that don’t register themselves, read instructions, know regulations...or take a test. They are some of the big reasons this change is being made.

I know a lot of ‘old-school’ RCers that fly fixed-wing, heli and quads...they are a great bunch of folks, are safety-conscious and good to deal with - but the industry has made it too easy to buy a drone and go flying.

The incorporation of GPS, dual-compass, vision systems and collision avoidance in flight controllers brought this type of flying to the masses without the learning curve the traditional RC crowd experienced.

The net result is you have ‘appliance operators’, not pilots. Many can’t even fly in atti mode without crashing.

This is the result.

Fly safe.

Last edited:
Reactions: TerKelDing
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman