DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Failure to Connect DJI Air 2

dryadsdad

Reactions
After a bit of a struggle to set this thing up, I took it in the backyard for a small trial. Things performed well during my small 10 minute flight. I live in a treed area so wanted to go to an open area to learn how to fly before daring trees.

I set up at the open area finding a message that a firmware update was needed. It did not say the firmware was critical. I d/l the firmware to the phone but I could not install it because the error msg said an aircraft connection was needed.

So I went home to try again at a place where it did once connect and fly ok. However, back at home I had the same non-result. I managed to find the 'Connect to Aircraft' entry in the menu system under Control. Pressing that instantly gives an error message that linking failed.

The drone's battery is fully charged and it's lit up as if ready for flight. The controller's four on lights are lit implying, I suppose, a fully charged battery there. I did charge both before leaving for the open area. Phone is an iPhone 12 SE.

I won't go into all the problems I had to get to this point. I'm at the end of my patience with this thing. Let me know if I should just send it back as a bad deal.

• Wow
Reactions: tlswift58
There is a learning curve to updates, Firmware updates, Software Updates and how each one has it own set of rules .
So to simply all of it, you need to use the Assistant 2 for your specific drone . dont download the wrong one.

Connect the controller , than the drone separately to get up to speed to the Assistant 2 on your computer.
Yes some updates can be drone thru the drone but learning now to use the Assistant 2 will provide better overall results.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Air 2 in the Rain. Land on the Water.

another way to do firmware updates is to have the drone RC and device all connected ,as if you were going to fly make sure the batteries in them have a good charge and that you have a good internet connection ,leave the props off for safety and have a desk type fan blowing over the drone and RC to keep them cool,then in the app follow the instructions for doing the update

Reactions: Old Dog- New Tricks
Thanks, guys, but I can't get a connection between the controller and the drone. Until I can get the connection, updates aren't the issue. I feel confident that I can do the firmware update if I could connect to the drone.

I've never used DJI Assistant - can't figure out which is correct for the Air 2 ... lol. But I do all updates via the controller. So far, no issues.

When you power up the drone and the controller, and there is no connection, you must link the drone to the controller manually.

I forget the exact procedure, but it is in the DJI Mavic Air 2 User Guide v1.6. Page 35.

Thanks. I did try to link manually by selecting the Link Aircraft (sic) button on the controller. I have no idea what the Assistant 2 is. I can't even figure out how to turn the drone on. It's some sequence of button pushes and holds, I suppose. I've been managing by pressing the button randomly until it makes its noise and lights those running lights.

The drone button has four LEDs that light randomly also conveying zero information. I have no idea why there isn't a simple sliding on/off switch on it and the controller.

@dryadsdad ,i really wish i lived close by to you ,then i could help you to get into the air,
for turning on the RC or drone its a quick press release and then press and hold till the lights come on, just practice with one of the batteries till you get the hang of it ,i really hope you can get some help from someone in your area ,to give you the thrill of flying your drone that you will get take care my friend
yours OMM

Reactions: RobertR
After a bit of a struggle to set this thing up, I took it in the backyard for a small trial. Things performed well during my small 10 minute flight. I live in a treed area so wanted to go to an open area to learn how to fly before daring trees.

I set up at the open area finding a message that a firmware update was needed. It did not say the firmware was critical. I d/l the firmware to the phone but I could not install it because the error msg said an aircraft connection was needed.

So I went home to try again at a place where it did once connect and fly ok. However, back at home I had the same non-result. I managed to find the 'Connect to Aircraft' entry in the menu system under Control. Pressing that instantly gives an error message that linking failed.

The drone's battery is fully charged and it's lit up as if ready for flight. The controller's four on lights are lit implying, I suppose, a fully charged battery there. I did charge both before leaving for the open area. Phone is an iPhone 12 SE.

I won't go into all the problems I had to get to this point. I'm at the end of my patience with this thing. Let me know if I should just send it back as a bad deal.
Make no sense to get an error if you were flying and CONNECTED to the drone.

I never do any updates in the field, simply because it's very slow via phone (if I was using one) and stops me from flying. I check for updates on my home wi-fi as it is much faster and less likely to have issues on download across the Internet. Never had an issue, so diagnosing what you may be doing wrong will be hard at this point.

There is a correct way to CONNECT your RC to the drone. Many YouTube videos' on the basic functions to watch and LEARN before trying to fly without knowing. So, highly suggest watching a few good basic drone videos on the Air2 to learn its functions to have a more enjoyable experience. Once you get the basics down, then watch more of the video's on the many camera and other functions so you have some knowledge of what they do. Some may apply and some won't. I use few of the many features as I prefer to FLY my drone myself and some like "boomerang" don't look good to me and won't probably ever use them.

Drones are no different than most any other tech device. There is a learning curve and the videos are good to get you going. Hopefully in the right direction as there are some out there that are not applicable for flying within the rules in the US (yes, there are many). Such things as VLOS and not expecting the drone to fly 3 miles out one way (even if DJI says it can).

If you do not have a phone app like Aloft, B4UFly, UAVForecast, etc - highly recommend one to make sure you fly LEGALLY and not in restricted or no fly zones. That's a quick way to get into deep longhorn poop.

Watch, learn, then ENJOY the fun of drone flying.

Reactions: dryadsdad
Thanks,

I can't account for it. It may have been, as you say, my attempt to update the firmware in the field or something else. I deleted the app from the iPhone, stopped and started the phone, installed the app fresh and the problem went away. I've taken two rewarding flights subsequently with no errors or issues of any kind. I also read the manual 1.6. I had no idea it was there given the dearth of info that came with the drone. I now understand the arcane startup and shutdown procedures.

I note from the manual three modes of control. I'm in the default mode 2. It works well for me but I'd find it natural to change the elevation stick to pull back for Up and push down for DOWN. The manual implies that custom modes are possible but doesn't supply the link or other info.

If this is possible, I'd like to program the controller now so I can get used to flying with these controls. Can you or anybody supply a link as to how to reprogram the controller? Thanks.

Thanks,

I can't account for it. It may have been, as you say, my attempt to update the firmware in the field or something else. I deleted the app from the iPhone, stopped and started the phone, installed the app fresh and the problem went away. I've taken two rewarding flights subsequently with no errors or issues of any kind. I also read the manual 1.6. I had no idea it was there given the dearth of info that came with the drone. I now understand the arcane startup and shutdown procedures.

I note from the manual three modes of control. I'm in the default mode 2. It works well for me but I'd find it natural to change the elevation stick to pull back for Up and push down for DOWN. The manual implies that custom modes are possible but doesn't supply the link or other info.

If this is possible, I'd like to program the controller now so I can get used to flying with these controls. Can you or anybody supply a link as to how to reprogram the controller? Thanks.
unfortunately it is not possible to change the sticks to what you are asking,in an aircraft pulling back on the stick uses the elevators to make the aircraft climb ,but with a drone this is achieved by increasing the speed of the motors ,therefor pushing the stick up makes it climb, and to descend then the stick is moved down you will be surprised how quickly you will get used to it ,it just takes time to master

Reactions: dryadsdad
You have three modes to choose from (Air 2 Manual pg,32). Most are flying with mode 2. The changes are made in the controller . The more videos you watch the more information will be received but they also create more questions. Enjoy the ride .......... I mean flight.

So far so good. This is a surprisingly enjoyable way to spend some time. I got this to photograph a specific event from the air. Now it may turn into a new hobby.

Reactions: JDerrick
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kesiganes