DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fake bird attack?

The bird is showing normal raptor behavior for when another predatory bird comes into it's airspace. No initial reason to think it's faked.

ps: some views it looks like a rough legged hawk or red tail; but that face on shot looks falconish.

Last edited:
Not at all fake. Many birds absolutely hate drones. The most common of which are gulls which can be a huge problem. Gulls are incessant and can literally force you to abort a mission- especially over water or other higher risk areas. Crows can be bad too. I've also been chased by bald eagles, ospreys and red tail hawks. In my experience the larger the drone the worse the problem is. I think it's not only easier to see but the noise from a heavy lift is a much bigger factor than from a Mavic. In this particular video I think it's an osprey.

Not at all fake. Many birds absolutely hate drones. The most common of which are gulls which can be a huge problem. Gulls are incessant and can literally force you to abort a mission- especially over water or other higher risk areas. Crows can be bad too. I've also been chased by bald eagles, ospreys and red tail hawks. In my experience the larger the drone the worse the problem is. I think it's not only easier to see but the noise from a heavy lift is a much bigger factor than from a Mavic. In this particular video I think it's an osprey.
I am not questioning that birds can attack a Mini, but the bird too me looks digitally crafted. particularly the flight characteristics.

I am not questioning that birds can attack a Mini, but the bird too me looks digitally crafted. particularly the flight characteristics.
Just looks like a roughly edited video...which would explain it.

It is definitely a falcon. Looks like a Merlin falcon. I had one chase my drone but just gave it a quick look before departing. This one is a juvenile female. I know this because my friend ID it for me. He ran the Raptor center at the University of Minnesota, and was a professor with a specialty in raptors until his retirement.

Attachments

• Merlin Falcon Snapshot.jpg
    Merlin Falcon Snapshot.jpg
    528.6 KB · Views: 9
Peregrine and prairie falcons are common in Vancouver where the video was taken. And after looking closely, that's my guess.

Ospreys are also in the area, but ospreys have a horizontal racoon mask, where peregrines and their cousins have the vertical face strips that the video shows.

Merlins are pretty small, comparatively, and that bird in the video is the size of the drone or larger and doesn't have the same face markings.

But all this makes those stories of drones that fall out of the sky a lot more explainable. But I do wonder about injured birds. Birds are not immune to sharp blades spinning around.

Reactions: Smooth Rhythm
No reason to think it's fake. Happens all the time.

does not appear life like to me. The part where the bird swoons away from the camera from left to right of camera just seemed animated on not like a real live creature @ second 25 into the video.

anyways besides that I am an owner of a Pineapple conure. Birds can be incredibly curious and inquisitive so I do not doubt the predilection. Maybe I am wrong but the video struck me as animated.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xyggi