DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

3 Fall in the Columbia River Gorge - Beacon Rock

AlanL

Premium Pilot
Reactions
This is a composition I first spotted while scouting for new vantage points in the Columbia River Gorge last September and noted where I was hovering at the time for future reference. That future came to pass when I was up in the Gorge earlier this month with peak fall colors. My drone is hovering over some of the wetland meadows in Rooster Rock State Park and positioned to 1) hide the I-84 freeway; 2) position the grove of trees on the far side of the freeway with the nice fall leaves just under the distant Beacon Rock; and 3) get a good balance of the surrounding Gorge walls while shooting with the 166mm lens.

DJI_M3P_166_CRG-RRSP-BeaconRock.jpg
Comments and critiques always welcome.

Awesome photo

Reactions: AlanL
Nice shot. Even blown up on my tiny phone screen the details are incredible.

This is a composition I first spotted while scouting for new vantage points in the Columbia River Gorge last September and noted where I was hovering at the time for future reference. That future came to pass when I was up in the Gorge earlier this month with peak fall colors. My drone is hovering over some of the wetland meadows in Rooster Rock State Park and positioned to 1) hide the I-84 freeway; 2) position the grove of trees on the far side of the freeway with the nice fall leaves just under the distant Beacon Rock; and 3) get a good balance of the surrounding Gorge walls while shooting with the 166mm lens.

View attachment 170568
Alan:

Again, A really fantastic and lovely picture but you already know my comments from the last time around.We have different sky tastes. I SO much want you to bring out those clouds in post.

Dale

Alan:

Again, A really fantastic and lovely picture but you already know my comments from the last time around.We have different sky tastes. I SO much want you to bring out those clouds in post.

Dale
Thanks Dale - I tend to be somewhat conservative over adding a lot of drama to stuff I post. I drive some of the folks who are on the photo forum I help moderate nuts for being such a stickler for accuracy over adding lots of contrast and color but I'm fine with that :)

I spent years working as an archaeologist taking photos of everything we encountered during excavations and faithful recording of everything with photography was an almost singular goal.

Thanks Dale - I tend to be somewhat conservative over adding a lot of drama to stuff I post. I drive some of the folks who are on the photo forum I help moderate nuts for being such a stickler for accuracy over adding lots of contrast and color but I'm fine with that :)

I spent years working as an archaeologist taking photos of everything we encountered during excavations and faithful recording of everything with photography was an almost singular goal.
I hear you loud and clear. I will not comment on any further editing issues. You are indeed fortunate to have that gorgeous country available.

I hear you loud and clear. I will not comment on any further editing issues. You are indeed fortunate to have that gorgeous country available.
Thanks - when my wife and I moved up here 25 years ago I had to pinch myself when I first saw the Gorge. This is just over a 1/2 hour drive from my house.

View attachment 170568
I love the Gorge and that is a beautiful shot. We had great fall colors this year didn't we? Thank you for capturing them!

I love the Gorge and that is a beautiful shot. We had great fall colors this year didn't we? Thank you for capturing them!
Thanks - the colors we got this fall were the most amazing I have seen up here. I have been going nuts this fall capturing them :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne