DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 Fatlips Castle, Minto, Scotland Border's

AlbionDrones

Reactions
Site
www.youtube.com
Another flying visit - this time to the improbably named 'Fatlips' Castle, on Minto Crags in the borders!
Our second video from our recent longish daytrip, an opportunity grasped and a detour taken when we spotted the Castle high above the valley.
I have to say I am really pleased with the footage form this Castle, flying up and staying within 400ft of the ground to stay within the Drone Code and to maintain Visual Line of Sight was interesting, we were right at the limit of visibility, but the footage was worth it...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Superb! Are you flying all manually?
Thanks... The flight up was all manual, as was the return backing away, but the spin around was using the spotlight function, so the camera centers on the castle and I then flew manually around it. I have to say it is an amazing feature and makes capturing great footage much easier - almost feels like cheating!

Thanks... The flight up was all manual, as was the return backing away, but the spin around was using the spotlight function, so the camera centers on the castle and I then flew manually around it. I have to say it is an amazing feature and makes capturing great footage much easier - almost feels like cheating!
I see. So all you have to do is fly around the target and the camera stays centered on it? Even when you decrease the range? Wow. That is incredibly useful. Something I found very difficult with my Mini 2.

Whatever, that's a great bit of aerial photography. It looks like that structure was some kind of observation post.

Reactions: AlbionDrones
I see. So all you have to do is fly around the target and the camera stays centered on it? Even when you decrease the range? Wow. That is incredibly useful. Something I found very difficult with my Mini 2.

Whatever, that's a great bit of aerial photography. It looks like that structure was some kind of observation post.
Yup, it certainly makes it much easier, I have tried doing it manually, but it is often hit and miss, using the spotlight makes it much easier - not idiot proof as when you circle it you can end up with the spotlight at one end of the structure, which can offset the picture, but it works...
Thanks... There is a brief history - and a link to more about it - on the Youtube description... It was both lookout and castle / peel tower and later hunting lodge... There are no floors inside now, but it would be an amazing place to live were it fully restored...

Great footage of a nifty castle.
Thanks, we hadnt planned to visit, but saw it from the road and had the time, so took the opportunity... Think its my best footage yet...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair