DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Features of Mavic Air 2 available for the Mavic 2 Pro?

AroundTheWorld

Reactions
Hello,

I was wondering if there was any chance to see some of the features of the Mavic Air 2 being available for the Mavic 2 Pro (4K at 60 FPS, ActiveTrack 3.0, APAS 3.0, HDR, Quickshot modes, Hyperlapse in 8K, Extended Range)?

Thanks in advance

Reactions: PS01
Thanks for your answer. So there is a 800 dollars difference between both models just for better obstacles avoidance capabilities and a one inch sensor that is from what I have seen, way better in picture mode but less sharper in video mode than the New Mavic Air? It's becoming less and less interesting to invest in a Mavic 2 Pro actually.

Last edited:
Thanks for your answer. So there is a 650 dollars difference between both models just for better obstacles avoidance capabilities and a one inch sensor that is from what I have seen, way better in picture mode but less sharper in video mode than the New Mavic Air? It's becoming less and less interesting to invest in a Mavic 2 Pro actually.
The M2Pro has a 4 times larger sensor. If the 1/2.3 sensor on the M2 Zoom wasn’t gonna do it for you the 1/2” sensor on the MA2 isn’t gonna do it either. M2Pro also has 10 bit D-Log and 10 bit HLG color which is a real HDR colorspace and adjustable aperture.

If none of things matter to you then great you don’t need to pay for the Pro. But then you have to ask yourself if Active track 3.0 is better then having an optical zoom on the M2Zoom which btw has the side OA sensorsChances are you will use that zoom much more often then active track.

I’ve had my Mavic Pro for two years and have used the active track feature a total of one time other than just trying it out. It worked perfectly for what I wanted it to do. I wonder what active track 3.0 would have really done for me in that situation.

I think the more you use a drone the less you use the intelligent features to be honest. You get good enough at flying that you can do what you want to do manually much better than what the computer can do if for no other reason than you don’t have to take the time to tell the computer what you want it to do.

Have to agree. Smaller sensor is a no. The extra autonomous features are just something to “play” with.

I also worry about the weight to distance ratio. Anticipate a lot of fly away (blow away) complaints coming.

Reactions: jonthecourier
I already own a Mavic 2 Pro and I agree with you. I didn't use most of the features included in this drone because I was flying manually anyway. But I still want more bang for the buck.

Okay the Mavic 2 Pro has a better sensor and will probably deliver far better pictures than the Air 2, but from what I have seen, when it comes to videos, the difference is quite small between both drone despite the bigger sensor on the Mavic 2 Pro and I will even say that the new Mavic Air outperforms the Pro in terms of sharpness judging from the first samples that were uploaded online.

The Mavic 2 Pro still has the possibility to record videos in 10 Bits but does it really worth the extra 800 dollars?

Compared to the Mavic 2 Pro, The Mavic Air 2 at 799 dollars is:

+ Lighter
+ Smaller
+ Has a better battery life
+ Can Record videos in 4K at 48, 50 and 60 FPS
+ Can Record videos in FHD at 120 and 240 FPS
+ Can record Hyperlapse in 8K
+ Can shoot stills at 48 Megapixels
+ Has Active Track 3.0
+ Has APAS 3.0
+ Has Spotlight 2.0
+ Has POI 3.0

- Has only a 1/2 Inches sensor
- Doesn't have side and top sensors

Compared to the Mavic Air, The Mavic 2 Pro at 1599 dollars is:

- Bigger
- Heavier
- Has a smaller battery life
- Doesn't have those features or only the previous versions

+ Has a 1 inches sensor
+ Has sensors for obstacles avoidance all around

Does it really worth the extra 800 dollars?

So you got it all laid out. What you are asking about is how do individuals place value on various features. There is no one answer, it's all subjective.

No one is going to be able to convince you of anything. You seem to just be trying to rationalize through your decision process. If you are fighting this hard to justify one over the other then bite the bullet and move forward. You will feel better once you just move forward.

So you got it all laid out. What you are asking about is how do individuals place value on various features. There is no one answer, it's all subjective.

No one is going to be able to convince you of anything. You seem to just be trying to rationalize through your decision process. If you are fighting this hard to justify one over the other then bite the bullet and move forward. You will feel better once you just move forward.

Thanks for your concern. Actually I'm just trying to guess if I should sell my Mavic 2 Pro in order to buy the New Air. Hard question haha. I just hoped that DJI would release the new features to the most expensive models as well. But they probably won't unfortunately.

I gotcha. When the things you are weighing are based on subjective valuation the decision is always tough because people are either going to agree with you or not and there is no real facts to weigh.

I am happy with my m2p and can see anything with the ma2 that would warrant the switch. The sensor, the size and weight, and the proven reliability are more then worth the money I would loose by selling my drone used or even the 800 in the retail price. But it's all my opinion based on what I find value in.

Reactions: wesleydk and JoeBoy
I gotcha. When the things you are weighing are based on subjective valuation the decision is always tough because people are either going to agree with you or not and there is no real facts to weigh.

I am happy with my m2p and can see anything with the ma2 that would warrant the switch. The sensor, the size and weight, and the proven reliability are more then worth the money I would loose by selling my drone used or even the 800 in the retail price. But it's all my opinion based on what I find value in.

I'm more than happy with my Mavic 2 Pro too, it's a fantastic drone. It's just that I purchased it recently so I'm wondering if I should have waited more and save some bucks.

I'm also surprised with DJI price tag of the Mavic Air 2 considering the specs of the drone. They are probably giving more features for the money in an attempt to compete the Autel Evo 2 and Skydio Drones while waiting for the Mavic Pro 3.

Have to agree. Smaller sensor is a no. The extra autonomous features are just something to “play” with.

I also worry about the weight to distance ratio. Anticipate a lot of fly away (blow away) complaints coming.

I think the Mavic 2 air weight at 570 grams will be fine in high winds, have several bebop 2 models with booster mods and they are 500 grams apiece. No problem flying in high wind with these, and they are 70 grams lighter.

Reception, I feel Mavic 2 Air OcuSync 2 will clobber Autel Evo 2 and Skydio in areas with inference. Mavic Air 2 should be a nice quad, probably the best deal out there for a long time.

Paul

I'll add my opinion... i went from the mavic pro to the mavic 2 pro mainly because the larger sensor compliments my dslr (nikon d850) photos better, i was finding the quality and colour difference too noticeable. The sensor can only absorb as much light as its size allows regardless of resolution, framerate etc, so in optimal/bright light the cameras will look the same (especially video), but as the light drops you'll see a huge difference in quality between larger and smaller sensors (in terms of physical area). It's probably more noticable with photos but you'll see reduced frame rates/higher iso in video too which destroys quality pretty quickly. BUT... the upgrades between the mavic pro and mavic 2 pro made a huuuge difference in terms of stability/software features, i don't use active track much but the difference in 2.0 is huge, if 3.0 is much better it should be amazing.

Reactions: Spartan Drones
Thanks for your concern. Actually I'm just trying to guess if I should sell my Mavic 2 Pro in order to buy the New Air. Hard question haha. I just hoped that DJI would release the new features to the most expensive models as well. But they probably won't unfortunately.
You never know. They added Occusyc 2.0 to the Phantom 4 Pro V2 well after launch. If you told me that before hand I would have said you were nuts.

Reactions: Waldo Pepper
I am understanding your concern but selling m2p in order to buy ma2 is just irrational. You will lose money at this case and it will be not so smart.
Reaserch dji history of releasing their drones and you will see that they are consistent with new generations delivers after two years period. It is the year for mavic 3 series.
There is also autel evo 2 series competition. Mavic air 2 cant compete with autel 2 series. You think that dji will let autel take leader tag in drone indurstry? No way!
Just wait and enjoy your m2p for now it is really great drone. When m3p rumors will be on horizon there will be time to sell your m2p.

I already own a Mavic 2 Pro and I agree with you. I didn't use most of the features included in this drone because I was flying manually anyway. But I still want more bang for the buck.

Okay the Mavic 2 Pro has a better sensor and will probably deliver far better pictures than the Air 2, but from what I have seen, when it comes to videos, the difference is quite small between both drone despite the bigger sensor on the Mavic 2 Pro and I will even say that the new Mavic Air outperforms the Pro in terms of sharpness judging from the first samples that were uploaded online.

The Mavic 2 Pro still has the possibility to record videos in 10 Bits but does it really worth the extra 800 dollars?

Compared to the Mavic 2 Pro, The Mavic Air 2 at 799 dollars is:

+ Lighter
+ Smaller
+ Has a better battery life
+ Can Record videos in 4K at 48, 50 and 60 FPS
+ Can Record videos in FHD at 120 and 240 FPS
+ Can record Hyperlapse in 8K
+ Can shoot stills at 48 Megapixels
+ Has Active Track 3.0
+ Has APAS 3.0
+ Has Spotlight 2.0
+ Has POI 3.0

- Has only a 1/2 Inches sensor
- Doesn't have side and top sensors

Compared to the Mavic Air, The Mavic 2 Pro at 1599 dollars is:

- Bigger
- Heavier
- Has a smaller battery life
- Doesn't have those features or only the previous versions

+ Has a 1 inches sensor
+ Has sensors for obstacles avoidance all around

Does it really worth the extra 800 dollars?
One Big feature for M2 pro is adjustable aperture that the air 2 doesn’t have

Thanks for your answer. So there is a 800 dollars difference between both models just for better obstacles avoidance capabilities and a one inch sensor that is from what I have seen, way better in picture mode but less sharper in video mode than the New Mavic Air? It's becoming less and less interesting to invest in a Mavic 2 Pro actually.
DJI has a way of luring drone owners into a false sense of security with a model then adding continuous improvements in small increments. Before you know it, you'll own a garage full of DJI drones. Exercise caution.

Reactions: TeomanDemirhan
I don't see heavier for MP2 as a minus. I am getting the Air 2 to probably replace my Mini. I need something small for travel (if we ever get back to traveling again) and I like the upgrade in video features. But will keep the MP2 for regional use and in tougher conditions like strong wind.

Last edited:
Reactions: brett8883
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AR9925