DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Few Likes / Few Dislikes

tcope

Reactions
Air arrived today and I wanted to give some first impressions about things I liked and disliked right away.

Things I liked:

I think DJi finally got the gimbal lock correct. That is, it appears that they did not go out of their way to make something very difficult to install and remove. It just takes a moment to make sure that the camera is straight (which it usually is) and the gimbal will snap right on. It's also _very_ easy to remove. Finally, I won't need to pay extra for a 3rd party lock that is far better.
20180130_204044.jpg

It's nice that the hub charger folds up. I'm not a big fan of charging one battery at a time and I will probably buy the 3 battery charged when it's release but I think DJI did a good job on their hub. It's nice that it folds up in order to take less room.
20180130_204109.jpg

Most people may not notice but it's nice that DJI included a case for the Air only and then a pack for everything. At first I questioned this as the case did not fit into the pack. But then I found out that you could remove the Air from the case and it fit perfectly into the pack. The case is for when you want to slim everything down. Perhaps just carry the Air in your pocket. The case protects the Air and is very minimal. Nice touch to be able to carry the Air 2 different ways.
20180130_203933.jpg

20180130_204024.jpg

Things I did not like:

No SD card included. I know DJI put 8GB on-board but still... they could not spend the extra $2 on an SD card with the Air? It's not like everyone won't need one. I think I need to shout out to @Aerial Media Pros for including a _fast_ 64GB card with my order (it's not cheap). Nice touch! I ordered for the first time from them and I'd order again. Very fast and _great_ service.

I ordered the Pro and 2 batteries, not the Fly More. I did not like the case and, as I mentioned above, I always buy the 3 battery charge. This time I bought the Air before DJI was selling extra batteries. So I spend the extra $40 and got the two cases, hub and (I think?) the charger adaptor to change a device from a low battery. I think this time is was an okay deal. I like the small case and the larger pack. I'd say that they are worth $25 or so.

I can't complain about this too much but the controller still sucks they way it holds a phone. It's awkward and just a down right pain to insert a phone into the controller. I think DJI could do better. They could also design it to hold a larger tablet. Inserting the USB plug into the phone can a little difficult. I'd say make the opening larger and in such a way that you insert the phone into the holder and then manually push the USB plug into the phone.

This weekend I'll be doing some real world testing of the Air's range vs the Pro and Phantom 4. Will be testing in wifi congested areas and a location with no wifi or anything else.

Reactions: kakao
Thanks for the info. I’m planning on getting a white one myself when I find a used one for sale on here. Price is too close to the Pro to justify the purchase for me.

Last edited:
I can agree with all these things however the gimbal cover for me is a bit annoying to get on. My camera always seems to tilt upwards a tad and it needs to be straight to get the cover on. With the limited space it's sometimes a bit of a fumble to get it on but not like the Mavic Pro at least.

One other thing is the props when it's folded. I'm tempted to take them off when I pack it away. It's mainly the props on the front legs need to be tight into the body when folding hte back legs or they stick out or are pushed up by the back feet.

I did find another dislike...

Before you could simply press the photo or the video button and it would either take a photo or a video. Now, you need to press the opposite button once to change to the correct photo or video setting but then press it again to perform that action.

For example, if you took a photo and now want to take a video, you need to press the video button once to move over to vide mode and then again to start the video. Not a big deal but something to note. I suspect this change will lead to a lot of people thinking a photo was taken or a video was started when really then just changed modes.

Air arrived today and I wanted to give some first impressions about things I liked and disliked right away.
I think DJi finally got the gimbal lock correct. That is, it appears that they did not go out of their way to make something very difficult to install and remove. It just takes a moment to make sure that the camera is straight (which it usually is) and the gimbal will snap right on. It's also _very_ easy to remove. Finally, I won't need to pay extra for a 3rd party lock that is far better.
View attachment 30056

Your picture of the drone inside the case shows what seems like a sticker "Remove Guard". Does the drone come with this, or did you make it yourself? I assume you mean the gimbal guard??

What happens if you start the drone up, with the gimbal guard in place? The manual doesn't say anything about this. I would expect that the drone would sense the resistance on all 3 axis, and would display an error message to remove the guard. At that point, it should stop trying to move the camera, until the guard is removed. I would NOT expect the gimbal to be damaged because the guard was still in place.

Your picture of the drone inside the case shows what seems like a sticker "Remove Guard". Does the drone come with this, or did you make it yourself? I assume you mean the gimbal guard??

What happens if you start the drone up, with the gimbal guard in place? The manual doesn't say anything about this. I would expect that the drone would sense the resistance on all 3 axis, and would display an error message to remove the guard. At that point, it should stop trying to move the camera, until the guard is removed. I would NOT expect the gimbal to be damaged because the guard was still in place.

Yes, I added that. I put it on as the guard is flush with the body and, I think, easy to forget. If you don't remove it when you turn the drone on, you will see a Gimbal Overload error on your screen.

Reactions: ThatCiceroGuy
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seacorope