DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

File numbering question

Filmarik

Reactions
I wonder why is D in front of the DNG files? The file numbers of my DNG photos are long and look like this
DJI_20231025123525_0013_D.DNG
I understand the first 14 digits mean year, month, day and time but why is the D dot DNG there??
Can I change the numbering somewhere in the FlyApp so I only get the consecutive numbers i.e. 0123.DNG??
Thanks

I wonder why is D in front of the DNG files? The file numbers of my DNG photos are long and look like this
DJI_20231025123525_0013_D.DNG
There's also a D in front of the jpg files.
i-ZW8vHph-M.jpg

Can I change the numbering somewhere in the FlyApp
Yes
i-GM6vVX4-M.jpg

so I only get the consecutive numbers i.e. 0123.DNG??
No .. the custom file naming function is useless.
It only allows you to add even more characters.

There's also a D in front of the jpg files.
i-ZW8vHph-M.jpg

Yes
i-GM6vVX4-M.jpg

No .. the custom file naming function is useless.
It only allows you to add even more characters.
Thank you. That is terrible! Who comes up at DJI with these stupid ideas naming files like this, I wonder...
The main problem with these long filenames is that the ascending counter number is at the very end of the long filename. The long filenames are starting with year and they look all the same at first glance. It makes navigating the files in LR pretty difficult

Last edited:
Reactions: GadgetGuy
Thank you. That is terrible! Who comes up at DJI with these stupid ideas naming files like this, I wonder...
The main problem with these long filenames is that the ascending counter number is at the very end of the long filename. The long filenames are starting with year and they look all the same at first glance. It makes navigating the files in LR pretty difficult
At least they are unique now! LOL!

Previously, the first file every shoot started with a DJI_0001 on a card freshly formatted in the drone, which was creating hundreds of duplicate file names over multiple flights, only separable by folder segregation by flight, or renaming upon import into LR!

At least they are unique now! LOL!

Previously, the first file every shoot started with a DJI_0001 on a card freshly formatted in the drone, which was creating hundreds of duplicate file names over multiple flights, only separable by folder segregation by flight, or renaming upon import into LR!
LOL. As a new M3p owner I should be greatful that things are now better than they were previously. That makes me eternally happy.

LOL. As a new M3p owner I should be greatful that things are now better than they were previously. That makes me eternally happy.
From one extreme to the other! Sure would be nice if the so called "custom file naming" capability was truly custom, rather than only allowing adding yet additional characters to the already too long new default file names, as @Meta4 pointed out above, making it essentially useless!

Lightroom will rename the files on import if you tell it to.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1