DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

File numbering question

Filmarik

Reactions
Every time I delete the photos from the sd card and power down the drone and then power up and start a new shoot the file numbering always starts with 001. Is there a way to change this in FlyApp to continuous numbering rather than starting from 001 every time?

Reactions: LoudThunder
Is there a way to change this in FlyApp to continuous numbering rather than starting from 001 every time?
You can't change the Fly App, it's the default numbering system. I would try leaving the file with the highest number on the SD Card and then for S&Gs, shoot a couple of photos and see if the new photo's numbers start after that file you left on the card… It's built into the firmware, you are just going to have to try to fool it…

Also, you do realize that if you dump all the photos into a temp directory on your PC (assuming that is what you are doing, you can highlight all those photos and do a Global Renaming.

For example, with the photos copied to that Temp Directory, highlight (CTRL A) all the photos that you took at the "XYZ Park" on 16 Nov 2023. With all the photos highlighted, Right Click and select RENAME, in the selected photo, type in "XYZ Park - 16 Nov 2023" or whatever naming convention you prefer. Then copy those renamed photos over the directory that you want to store them. Each photo will be renamed "XYZ Park - 16 Nov 2023 (1)" and the next one will be a "2" and the then a "3" and so forth…

Give it a try with any old files, whatever the file extension is, it will remain the same (JPG, MP3, RAW, whatever…).

IF you are not sure of what I wrote about renaming all the files in a directory, Google it…

You can't change the Fly App, it's the default numbering system. I would try leaving the file with the highest number on the SD Card and then for S&Gs, shoot a couple of photos and see if the new photo's numbers start after that file you left on the card… It's built into the firmware, you are just going to have to try to fool it…

Also, you do realize that if you dump all the photos into a temp directory on your PC (assuming that is what you are doing, you can highlight all those photos and do a Global Renaming.

For example, with the photos copied to that Temp Directory, highlight (CTRL A) all the photos that you took at the "XYZ Park" on 16 Nov 2023. With all the photos highlighted, Right Click and select RENAME, in the selected photo, type in "XYZ Park - 16 Nov 2023" or whatever naming convention you prefer. Then copy those renamed photos over the directory that you want to store them. Each photo will be renamed "XYZ Park - 16 Nov 2023 (1)" and the next one will be a "2" and the then a "3" and so forth…

Give it a try with any old files, whatever the file extension is, it will remain the same (JPG, MP3, RAW, whatever…).

IF you are not sure of what I wrote about renaming all the files in a directory, Google it…
Thank you. Good info there.

Every time I delete the photos from the sd card and power down the drone and then power up and start a new shoot the file numbering always starts with 001. Is there a way to change this in FlyApp to continuous numbering rather than starting from 001 every time?
The Mavic 3 Pro currently uses a unique super long file naming system where you can append additional character strings onto the end in a custom file naming system, but cannot eliminate the super long, unique file name in front.

If you merely want to keep from having duplicate file names, it already does that natively. If you are wanting to keep a cumulative track of the total files created, there are better ways of doing so.

Previously, we had the problem of duplicated file names, where the first file of every flight was DJI_0001.xxx. DJI's FLY solution was these crazy long file names.

Lightroom easily allows the renaming of any imported series of files in any way you choose, and that is probably the best solution. Import and simultaneously rename them with whatever text and sequence numbers you want to start and end with.

One of the good features of the enterprise drones, which would be super nice on the pros; starts a new folder each day. So all your shots of that day end up in the day named folder. Makes it shockingly easy to keep track of.

I was afraid of that. I have been doing just what you recomend, leaving files on the card so that the system picks up where I left off.

I'm on a Mac but I understand what you are saying. I have a great little renumbering tool utility that I have been using for years and it works it's just one more step that you have to take to get files processed.

I've been complaining to DJI for years to turn over the numbering convention to the user. I hate their system.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman