DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 File Name Reset to 001 with every card formating - How to avoid ?

thwcologne

Reactions
I am flying a Mavic3 classic,
newest firmware including waypoints.

With every sd card formating file numbers restart from 001.

Is there any possibility to set the drone to ongoing file numbers like in the mavic 2 pro zoom ?

Is there any possibility to set the drone to ongoing file numbers like in the mavic 2 pro zoom ?
Don't format, just delete the files on the card and the numbering will continue. That is the way. Formatting does exactly what should be expected.

Reactions: Capt_KAOS

One suggestion that appears to work well as a workaround, format the card on your PC rather than in the aircraft then the file numbering should be continuous on a card by card basis.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Or..... leave the last photo/video on the card i.e. copy it rather than move it to external storage.
Or put a small photo/ video on the card with the EXACT name of the last last photo / video.

Reactions: Kilrah
One suggestion that appears to work well as a workaround, format the card on your PC rather than in the aircraft then the file numbering should be continuous on a card by card basis.
Interesting... might have to see if that works.

Or..... leave the last photo/video on the card i.e. copy it rather than move it to external storage.
Or put a small photo/ video on the card with the EXACT name of the last last photo / video.
Too complicated
Interesting... might have to see if that works.
No need to see ... it works just fine.
Copy your image files to your computer .. format the card in the computer ... file numbering continues where it left off.
If you format in the drone the numbering reverts to 001.

Reactions: @Rip and GadgetGuy
In the world of cameras it's considered best practice to format the card in the device you will be using it in since there can be slight differences between the devices that can potentially impact data recording reliability. I formatted all of my cards in my M3 and after each session I copy the SD contents into Adobe Lightroom. Once I have the files moved I delete the images from the SD card in the computer. That keeps my file numbering for the images intact. You do not need to leave a file on the card for the numbers to continue.

The catch is that DJI has limited the file numbers to 3 digits so 999 is as high as the count goes and then it resets the counter to 0001. Yes there are 4 places in that number but DJI only counts to 0999 before rolling the counter over. When you take the next image beyond 0999 the drone will create a new folder and start with 0001 in that folder.

Too complicated

No need to see ... it works just fine.
Copy your image files to your computer .. format the card in the computer ... file numbering continues where it left off.
If you format in the drone the numbering reverts to 001.
I'll determine if there's a need, not you. Thank you very much.

Everyone does things differently. I only format the SD card once (when it's first used) then from there on, I simply cut the files from the SD card (PC windows explorer) and paste them to a folder that I have named that matches the job. If you want to completely remove all data, format the SD card on the PC as mentioned in Post #3. I have been using the same SD cards in my fleet (each of course having its own) and have not reformated once. The numbering isn't that important to me as I renumber them once on the PC anyway.

Good luck as you discover what best works for you.

Reactions: Torque
Well, you are as entitled to your opinion as I am and I think it's remarkable simple.
It's not at all simple if you are using multiple cards during a day's flying.
You'd have no way to know what number you want to put on each card.

You'd have no way to know what number you want to put on each card.
Get bigger cards.

You'd have no way to know WA weewhat number you want to put on each card.
In that case you may be correct but for most users I would guess one card will more than cover one day's flying.
Besides if push comes to shove, one could always put a card in a reader attached to a phone and either rename the photo / video or place the appropriatly image on the card.
I don't doubt you will find fault with that as well but I have just done it for the first time and it took all of oh 15 seconds to figure out how to do it on an Android phone. I didn't try an iPhone.
I would say that where someone is stuck with a drone that resets the numbering then those 15 seconds would be preferable to how ever long it takes to sort and rename photos using a bulk renamer.

Last edited:
Get bigger cards.
That's the perfect solution ...... as long as you never shoot anything you care about.
There are flyers who consider how much of their work they are prepared to lose in one incident or card failure.
In that case you may be correct but for most users I would guess one card will more than cover one day's flying.
I don't know about "most users".
I'm on and will probably use 6 batteries today and was answering the query about how to solve the issue, so I gave the simplest and quickest solution.

In the world of cameras it's considered best practice to format the card in the device you will be using it in since there can be slight differences between the devices that can potentially impact data recording reliability. I formatted all of my cards in my M3 and after each session I copy the SD contents into Adobe Lightroom. Once I have the files moved I delete the images from the SD card in the computer. That keeps my file numbering for the images intact. You do not need to leave a file on the card for the numbers to continue.
Seems like you may have found another workaround, prior to the latest FW update which now properly maintains the file incrementing after formatting in the drone before flight each time, while allows using the card as an additional backup, until it is actually needed for next use.

Seems like you may have found another workaround, prior to the latest FW update which now properly maintains the file incrementing after formatting in the drone before flight each time, while allows using the card as an additional backup, until it is actually needed for next use.
Correct - I have been using this technique for the past year with various firmware levels. I have been juggling flavors of Compact Flash and SD cards for over 20 years with DSLRs and simply treated my drone images the same way. I didn't know that the numbers were being reset with a device level card reformat until I read about it on Mavic Pilots.

Last edited:
That's the perfect solution ...... as long as you never shoot anything you care about.
There are flyers who consider how much of their work they are prepared to lose in one incident or card failure.
I don't live in fear of things I can't prevent...

I actually prefer the numbering to reset since I store my media by location and date and bin accordingly. The smallest card I use is 128GB (RC Pro, RC and goggles) everything else is at least 256GB. Copy everything to my desktop at the end of the day. Works for me.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan