DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 photo numbering never resets when I format an SD card

RickMC

Reactions
I’m seeing posts where people are saying every time they format a card the numbering goes back 1 but I’m having the opposite issue. Every time I format a card the next picture I take will be the number after the last numbered file on the card before I formatted. I’d like to have it reset to 1 every time I format a card. How do I do that? I am formatting it in the drone, by the way and it never resets. And I don’t understand how several others are having the exact opposite issue as me?

Well just keep shooting and once you hit the shot after #999 it will reset to 001 again. 😁

If the current software versions have been set up to continue the sequence after the last shot number prior to the reformat I would consider that an upgrade to be honest since that's what my DSLRs have always done. I wish the numbers would go a lot higher as my counter has rolled over 5 times now in less than a year and will likely do that many times over in the next one. My major concern is having unique image numbering and 3 digits isn't nearly enough.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I’m seeing posts where people are saying every time they format a card the numbering goes back 1 but I’m having the opposite issue. Every time I format a card the next picture I take will be the number after the last numbered file on the card before I formatted. I’d like to have it reset to 1 every time I format a card. How do I do that? I am formatting it in the drone, by the way and it never resets. And I don’t understand how several others are having the exact opposite issue as me?
This was changed in the last Mavic 3 firmware update. It SHOULD be an option, not set one way or the other.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
sorry but, and excluding the "should be an option", "they are damned if they do and damned if they don't" lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Torque
Well just keep shooting and once you hit the shot after #999 it will reset to 001 again. 😁

If the current software versions have been set up to continue the sequence after the last shot number prior to the reformat I would consider that an upgrade to be honest since that's what my DSLRs have always done. I wish the numbers would go a lot higher as my counter has rolled over 5 times now in less than a year and will likely do that many times over in the next one. My major concern is having unique image numbering and 3 digits isn't nearly enough.

I had this happen with my first DSLR and it rolled to 9999 to 0001. I started using a tool called Bulk Rename Tool. It will read the EXIF of the file and can pull out the date. I have it automatically add the date (YYYMMDD) to the beginning of the file name and a add couple of zeros to the front of the file number so I have more digits when the 0000s roll over. That way I always have unique numbers.

Reactions: DougMcC and AlanL
New FW update fixed the issue.

My mirrorless resets to 1 after formatting.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer