DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Filming Murmurations with Drones

restyler

Reactions
In the UK around this time of year {Nov-Feb}, its Starling Murmuration season & in the past, I normally ventured out to the local wetland areas to try & get a few shots / videos with the dslr.
So I'm wondering if anyone has tried to film the murmurations with a drone, & perhaps more importantly, if there's a chance the noise would scare them off?
I'm thinking they make that much noise anyway, that a drone from 300 metres away probably wouldn't make any difference - but if someone's already tried it then any tips would be much appreciated.
One of the best shapes I captured a few years back - The Dancer
The dancer.JPG

So that goes on near you?? that is very cool!!!
I'd assumed it occurred in the USA as well, but now perhaps not - apparently looks like its a mostly European phenomena.
Sorry you didn't like the cover track - Unfortunately I find that when I use Original Artist soundtracks, Youtube often go & ban/ limit audience / or put ads against the videos

I'd assumed it occurred in the USA as well, but now perhaps not - apparently looks like its a mostly European phenomena.
Sorry you didn't like the cover track - Unfortunately I find that when I use Original Artist soundtracks, Youtube often go & ban/ limit audience / or put ads against the videos
If it happens here I do not know when or where, I've seen it on tv before though. No big deal on the sound thing.

VERY cool video! Go fly your drone in the middle of the flock...

Reactions: restyler
If it happens here I do not know when or where, I've seen it on tv before though. No big deal on the sound thing.

Super cool photo/video get these at home all the time during Autumn/Winter but
haven't thought to film them before. As far as i know it's only Starlings that do this.....so if you don't get Starlings in your country you won't see one.

Mesmerizing!........they almost seem computer generated. Like Roadhawg, I couldn't stop watching.
And I enjoyed the Steve Miller cover!

Why would you try and fly it in the middle of the flock?? You would get nothing on video. You need to be farther away to be able to see these huge spectacles in the sky.

Why would you try and fly it in the middle of the flock?? You would get nothing on video. You need to be farther away to be able to see these huge spectacles in the sky.
I can vouch for that - A couple of years ago, I was trying to film them in the next field, (where they had been all week), but this evening they decided to perform right above me - Impossible to see any shapeshifting - just thousands of birds all seemingly flying random - and here's something they don't tell you in "murmuration 101" - there is bird **** falling everywhere - just dropping out of the sky - EVERYWHERE - 200,000 Happy chirpers all expressing their art & having a final poo of the evening on the only target in the field ?
too close.JPG

Last edited:
This comes to mind....

I can vouch for that - A couple of years ago, I was trying to film them in the next field, (where they had been all week), but this evening they decided to perform right above me - Impossible to see any shapeshifting - just thousands of birds all seemingly flying random - and here's something they don't tell you in "murmuration 101" - there is bird **** falling everywhere - just dropping out of the sky - EVERYWHERE - 200,000 Happy chirpers all expressing their art & having a final poo of the evening on the only target in the field ?
View attachment 120269
Perhaps take an umbrella ☂️ or a few wet wipes ???

• Haha
Reactions: restyler and A.O.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada