DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Filmora "Color Space"

jimlips

Reactions
Hello all, hope this is the right forum to post this question.

I use the Wondershare Filmora 11 video editor (paid version) and am very happy with it.

I noticed a setting (when you go to Export, or render the video) called "Export Color Space". I have no idea what this is, and can't find anything on the internet about it that seems to be related to this setting that I understand.

There are three settings I can choose: "SDR - Rec.709", "HDR - Rec.2100HLG", and "HDR - Rec-2100PQ".

Can anyone explain exactly what these are, and which one I should be exporting at?

The final file size does not appear to change, and I can't see any difference, mainly because I can't do a split-screen and put one version on the right and the other on the left to compare them.

Some of what I found on the internet talks about using HDR to see more details in the shadows than SDR supports.
1657420005065.png

Reactions: Mavic 3 by the Sea

I use the Wondershare Filmora 11 video editor (paid version) and am very happy with it.

I noticed a setting (when you go to Export, or render the video) called "Export Color Space". I have no idea what this is, and can't find anything on the internet about it that seems to be related to this setting that I understand.

There are three settings I can choose: "SDR - Rec.709", "HDR - Rec.2100HLG", and "HDR - Rec-2100PQ".

Can anyone explain exactly what these are, and which one I should be exporting at?

The final file size does not appear to change, and I can't see any difference, mainly because I can't do a split-screen and put one version on the right and the other on the left to compare them.

Some of what I found on the internet talks about using HDR to see more details in the shadows than SDR supports.
View attachment 151477
I too would appreciate if anyone could help out with this question. Many thanks!

View attachment 151477
Color space can get complicated quickly. Some of the key terms you're looking for are gamut and color space, but if you're just looking to understand your best choice, it's probably SDR Rec 709.
Unless you've been shooting, editing, grading, and presenting in HDR, those other options aren't going to be useful to you. HDR support for things like YouTube is a mess right now, so just exporting for SDR is your best bet, right now.

Reactions: Grandpa
Exporting for HDR presentation would require the use of an HDR color space to ensure the colors are accurately represented. REC 2100 is one such color space.
Unless you've shot, edited, graded, and are presenting in HDR, there's no need to choose an HDR color space. Instead, choose SDR.

Exporting for HDR presentation would require the use of an HDR color space to ensure the colors are accurately represented. REC 2100 is one such color space.
Unless you've shot, edited, graded, and are presenting in HDR, there's no need to choose an HDR color space. Instead, choose SDR.
Thanks a lot for your info and advice! Much appreciated.

Just to make sure, shooting in HLG is shooting in HDR?

HLG is Hybrid Log Gamma, the hybrid referring to it being compatible with SDR and HDR. Looks like Filmora's color spaces let you choose between exporting strictly for HDR color, or to preserve the HLG color space.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121