DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Filter Recommendation

Riftvalley84

Reactions
Any advice on Polar Pro filters for my Mavic 2 Pro? I am thinking of buying the Cinema series. If I buy the set of 3, is the Vivid Collection (ND4-PL, ND8-PL & ND16-PL) or the Shutter Collection (ND8, ND16 & ND32) better?

Any advice on Polar Pro filters for my Mavic 2 Pro? I am thinking of buying the Cinema series. If I buy the set of 3, is the Vivid Collection (ND4-PL, ND8-PL & ND16-PL) or the Shutter Collection (ND8, ND16 & ND32) better?

Personally, I like the DJI filter kit the best. I also own almost all of the Polar Pro filters. If you decide to go with PP, I'd get the "custom" kit because you get 4 filters for $100. Then I'd pick the ND8, ND16, ND32 and ND16PL (or ND32PL depending on your environment). If you're not doing a lot of shooting over water/ reflective surfaces, but it's really sunny (ie Arizona, New Mexico, etc), I'd get the ND64 instead of a polarized filter.

The reasons that I like the DJI filters better is because they fit the best and I like the case better. It's thinner than the PP, holds 4 filters and you can see the filter value/ numbers with them in the case and they are printed in the case as well.. Seems silly, but you can't read the filters when they are in the PP case.

Last edited:
Reactions: mereflyer
Thank you. I will look into the DJI filters as well. I'm in Canada and not all the options are available to me. What filter is the best over water/reflective surfaces? We are scuba divers and I am hoping that I can fly my drones in some locations we travel for our shark diving.

Thank you. I will look into the DJI filters as well. I'm in Canada and not all the options are available to me. What filter is the best over water/reflective surfaces? We are scuba divers and I am hoping that I can fly my drones in some locations we travel for our shark diving.
For the purpose of seeing into water get polarized filters to cut/eliminate surface reflection. This is about the only purpose I use a polarized filter for.

Do you need ND filters if you have aperture control? Can you not set the aperture to a smaller diameter (eg F8, F11, higher?) and omit the ND filters?

Do you need ND filters if you have aperture control?

Drone On: First, you need to be aware of the fact that generally speaking, most if not all camera lenses have a "sweet spot" for focus and it has been determined that on the M2P, that is f4. However, you have a LITTLE flexibility as the lens doesn't start to suffer from defraction until f5.6. But above that, defraction ramps up fairly quickly and you get softer images. So to answer your question, if you want the sharpest stills, keep your aperture in that range and adjust shutter speed to 0ev.

For video however, things get slightly more complicated. Obviously, the same aperture range should be used for the best possible clarity BUT, you may or may not like how the video looks to the eye when using the sweet spot aperture and a very high shutter speed on a bright day. Some believe in the "video golden rule" of using twice your frame rate as the denominator for your shutter speed. (24 fps use 1/50th, 30 fps use 1/60th, etc.) Others say they can't tell the difference regardless of shutter speed. Personally, I do see a difference and prefer to shoot at 24fps which some say yields the most "cinematic--ness." :) The folks who like to use real slow-mo in their clips were immediately upset when they learned that the M2P would not shoot 4k at 60 fps because they like to use a 30fps frame rate for their sequences to get half speed footage but it can only be done via video editing software (because the M2P can't shoot 4k at 60 fps,) and the result is visibly not as smooth and silky as it would be if a 60 fps clip was slowed to 30. Clear as mud? Believe me, I had to take some time to wrap my head around this concept but once you get it, it's a no brainer.

In conclusion, for me, ND filters are an essential part of my "kit."

Drone On: First, you need to be aware of the fact that generally speaking, most if not all camera lenses have a "sweet spot" for focus and it has been determined that on the M2P, that is f4. However, you have a LITTLE flexibility as the lens doesn't start to suffer from defraction until f5.6. But above that, defraction ramps up fairly quickly and you get softer images. So to answer your question, if you want the sharpest stills, keep your aperture in that range and adjust shutter speed to 0ev.

For video however, things get slightly more complicated. Obviously, the same aperture range should be used for the best possible clarity BUT, you may or may not like how the video looks to the eye when using the sweet spot aperture and a very high shutter speed on a bright day. Some believe in the "video golden rule" of using twice your frame rate as the denominator for your shutter speed. (24 fps use 1/50th, 30 fps use 1/60th, etc.) Others say they can't tell the difference regardless of shutter speed. Personally, I do see a difference and prefer to shoot at 24fps which some say yields the most "cinematic--ness." :) The folks who like to use real slow-mo in their clips were immediately upset when they learned that the M2P would not shoot 4k at 60 fps because they like to use a 30fps frame rate for their sequences to get half speed footage but it can only be done via video editing software (because the M2P can't shoot 4k at 60 fps,) and the result is visibly not as smooth and silky as it would be if a 60 fps clip was slowed to 30. Clear as mud? Believe me, I had to take some time to wrap my head around this concept but once you get it, it's a no brainer.

In conclusion, for me, ND filters are an essential part of my "kit."
This is clear to me.

I appreciate your thought through answer

As others have stated, polarizing filters are designed specifically for your use case. With the M2P you could get a circular polarizing filter without any ND aspects. If the lighting conditions are right and you can keep your aperture below 6.... Well, we're getting into the weeds here a bit but you might consider gradient filters as well. I'm trying to convince Polar Pro to make a gradient polarizing filter but I don't think it'll happen.

Last edited:
At this point, I only want to buy 3 filters to keep the cost down and I want to stay with the polarizing filters as I plan to film over water. Am I better to choose ND8/PL, ND16/PL & ND32/PL or should I choose ND64/PL over one of the others? Is ND4/PL best for sunrise/sunset? Perhaps, to get the widest range I should look into initially buying ND4/PL, ND16/PL & ND64/PL and then add the other filters if needed. Just trying to get the most bang for my buck.

Last edited:
At this point, I only want to buy 3 filters to keep the cost down and I want to stay with the polarizing filters as I plan to film over water. Am I better to choose ND8/PL, ND16/PL & ND32/PL or should I choose ND64/PL over one of the others? Just trying to get the most bang for my buck :)
Likely the 16 and 32 will be most useful to you. I don’t use my 64 or 4 much. I only own 4, 8, 16, 32, and 64 and all in both PL and plain ND. Look at some YouTube videos, then role the dice, but stay with a major brand. I prefer PolarPro having owned others.

Likely the 16 and 32 will be most useful to you. I don’t use my 64 or 4 much. I only own 4, 8, 16, 32, and 64 and all in both PL and plain ND. Look at some YouTube videos, then role the dice, but stay with a major brand. I prefer PolarPro having owned others.

I agree! The only thing I'll add is again to counsel buying the custom 4 pack from Polar Pro. It's $100 and you can pick whichever filters you want. Probably 8, 16, 32, & 64. Individual filters are $30 so you get the last one for $10.

Hello Everyone, I just wanted to share a quick panning video test with a PolarPro ND/PL filter. The PL filter was adjusted with the mark up at 12 o'clock position for horizontal polarization as per PolarPro's "Pro Tip" included in the instructions that came with the filters. I tried to keep the panning speed slow enough to prevent seizures........

MP2 with PolarPro ND32/PL
Shot at 1/60 shutter speed in Dlog-M and applied DJI Dlog to Rec.709 LUT with free Davinci Resolve 16. No other color corrections applied.

Reactions: MGVision
Evnbehr: I can just barely see the slight gradient and unlike me, you read the doc from PP on where to set the PL. I didn't and my first attempt was upside down but it actually looked pretty good with the foreground slightly darker. <laughing> Yeah, I'm an idiot most of the time.

Anyway...I'm wondering if you know what aperture you used for that clip? I ask because focus isn't as sharp as it could be and I'm reasonably sure you focused before recording. Wherever possible, I try to stick to f4 or f5.6 and if I can't have the lens open that far, I change to a darker ND.

Evnbehr: I can just barely see the slight gradient and unlike me, you read the doc from PP on where to set the PL. I didn't and my first attempt was upside down but it actually looked pretty good with the foreground slightly darker. <laughing> Yeah, I'm an idiot most of the time.

Anyway...I'm wondering if you know what aperture you used for that clip? I ask because focus isn't as sharp as it could be and I'm reasonably sure you focused before recording. Wherever possible, I try to stick to f4 or f5.6 and if I can't have the lens open that far, I change to a darker ND.

So, I'm new at this and just enjoying and learning everything with a MP2. I was just playing around and testing using the ND/PL filters and wanted to see how Dlog with Rec.709 LUT applied looked using Davinci Resolve which is also a new thing for me to use. I probably didn't pay attention to the focus adjustment before I recorded. Since I was using a ND32/PL, I was using a wider aperture around F2.8 - F4 or so I believe. I agree with keeping the aperture in the sweet spot. The video compression upload to YouTube probably didn't help when I posted. Thanks for the input.

Hello Everyone, I just wanted to share a quick panning video test with a PolarPro ND/PL filter. The PL filter was adjusted with the mark up at 12 o'clock position for horizontal polarization as per PolarPro's "Pro Tip" included in the instructions that came with the filters. I tried to keep the panning speed slow enough to prevent seizures........

MP2 with PolarPro ND32/PL
Shot at 1/60 shutter speed in Dlog-M and applied DJI Dlog to Rec.709 LUT with free Davinci Resolve 16. No other color corrections applied.

Great video bro. Can I know what pc components do you have for working with davinci resolve?

Great video bro. Can I know what pc components do you have for working with davinci resolve?

Thanks, My computer setup is not the greatest for this type of video work, but I'm just learning Davinci Resolve right now because its free and for fun I wanted to see if my computer can work with 4K H.265 files.

Dell XPS 8910
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
CPU Intel i7-6700
Memory 16 GB (1 stick)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVME 500GB (C: System Drive for Window and All Programs)
1 TB Hard Disk Drive (D: Drive for General file Storage)
Dell U2515H Monitor

My computer so far seems to work with these files, but again I'm just learning for fun and do not work with large lengthy video files to perform advanced video editing/color corrections. I just wanted to try and take a simple video in 4K H.265, apply a single Dlog to Rec. 709 LUT and then just render it out in 4K. You can only render out in H.264 as one of the available options though in Davinci Resolve. This video at 1 minute and 44 seconds in length took around 6 minutes on my computer in Davinci Resolve to render out in 4K.

Reactions: MGVision
Thanks, My computer setup is not the greatest for this type of video work, but I'm just learning Davinci Resolve right now because its free and for fun I wanted to see if my computer can work with 4K H.265 files.

Dell XPS 8910
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
CPU Intel i7-6700
Memory 16 GB (1 stick)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVME 500GB (C: System Drive for Window and All Programs)
1 TB Hard Disk Drive (D: Drive for General file Storage)
Dell U2515H Monitor

My computer so far seems to work with these files, but again I'm just learning for fun and do not work with large lengthy video files to perform advanced video editing/color corrections. I just wanted to try and take a simple video in 4K H.265, apply a single Dlog to Rec. 709 LUT and then just render it out in 4K. You can only render out in H.264 as one of the available options though in Davinci Resolve. This video at 1 minute and 44 seconds in length took around 6 minutes on my computer in Davinci Resolve to render out in 4K.

Yea that's what is keeping me using Premier Pro. Although, I rendered a 4 minute clip in 2 minutes the other day using DR. Premiere Pro has been killing me after the last update. I might drop the $300 to get the updated program...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sound