DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Filters

Anthonyk

Reactions
I am currently waiting on my Mavic to be delivered. I'm am curious to know what brand of polar filters you guys recommend. I would like to have some that don't effect start up.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I've ordered the ones from Taco. Should be here by Tuesday. They are supposed to work on startup

I've ordered the ones from Taco. Should be here by Tuesday. They are supposed to work on startup

Well, what's the verdict on the TACO RC filters, mate? Just got my Mavic pro (after eyeing lustfully for about the last six months). It appears that the TACO RC and PGY brand get decent reviews. Related, how does one go about adjusting the polarity of a CPL filter (i.e. twisting) for this highly fragile gimbal? I mean, presumably the gimbal/camera needs to be powered ON in order to adjust. (Wondering the same about one or two variable ND filters out there, which currently have bad ratings, btw...)

Last edited:
Well, what's the verdict on the TACO RC filters, mate? Just got my Mavic pro (after eyeing lustfully for about the last six months). It appears that the TACO RC and PGY brand get decent reviews. Related, how does one go about adjusting the polarity of a CPL filter (i.e. twisting) for this highly fragile gimbal? I mean, presumably the gimbal/camera needs to be powered ON in order to adjust. (Wondering the same about one or two variable ND filters out there, which currently have bad ratings, btw...)

No problem on startup. Pretty easy to install. Get some green lens flair at some angles. Probably inherent to all ND filters I guess. Also didn't cure yaw video jitter but more testing needed.

No problem on startup. Pretty easy to install. Get some green lens flair at some angles. Probably inherent to all ND filters I guess. Also didn't cure yaw video jitter but more testing needed.
Thanks for replying. Guess I will give them a try.

PolarPro filters are a definite performer. Make sure you get the newer version that does not interfere with the gimbal initialization.

I started with the early PolarPro set and now have the Cinema Series. Produces great results. Outstanding customer service even after the sale.
As for adjusting a circular polariser. You have to plan the shot then aim the filter at that angle whilst looking through by eye and rotate until you achieve the desired polarisation. Then install onto camera without rotating. It will only give you the correct polarisation for that one angle. As soon as you yaw the aircraft, you lose the effect.

I got the filters from DJI and have already cracked one getting it off the camera . if you have Tradie hands like me they are very easy to break . would not recommend these.

I had eggpoints from Newegg from when I originally purchase my mavic. Went to see what filters they had and took a chance on the freewell multicoated set with 6 filters, including a couple of PL/ND combos. The filters were $60 less than the top brands and they said in their ad the filters passed the gimble test, so I took a shot. I did have to wait 8 days for shipping from overseas, but I wasn't in a big hurry, so not a big deal. Also, because I already had $64 worth of egg-points, this filter set ended up costing me $53, so that's a win too.

They arrived today and I sadly only had time to throw one on and check it before I headed out for a trip. It was a sunny day and I used the ND16/CP. It slid on easily enough and had a snug set into the home position so it became clear the filter was seated well. I fired up the mavic and it went through the gimbal test without issue. I only had a couple minutes for a test flight and found it was nice to finally get to drop the shutter speed down to a more cinematic level, all the while having more saturation in the sky and the broadleaf tress that are close by. I have seen in the past how much a PL can deepen the sky but the trees were surprising. I hadn't realized how much more green the leaves are without the reflection off of them. After flight, removing the filter was easy enough...just a gentle tug and it came loose...but still, it felt strong enough of a fit that I doubt it'll come loose on its own.

FYI, I installed and removed the filter while I had the gimble lock in place as it'll hold the camera more secure than I will...I think.

The kit did come with the 6 filters, all multicoat, a carrying case that actually seems a bit overkill and takes up more room than it could, and also a cleaning pen.

For now, I am NOT endorsing the product...I only tested one filter and in the few minutes I had, it really was not thorough at all. However, if others are considering the less expensive multi coated set from free well, I am sure you'll be happy to see that my experience has started out positive. I will come back to the forum with more updates when I return from my trip and have time to test.

And as there are a bunch of different filters out there, these are the ones I purchased: Freewell Lens Filter 6Pack for DJI MAVIC PRO-Newegg.com

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aodgizmo