DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Finally got mine in! Some impressions

mcsenerd

Reactions
Yeah, yeah, yeah… All you early movers have been playing around for weeks with this thing, but my finances dictated the lateness for me. In any case, my only other two drones have been the old school Mavic Pro and the Mavic 2 Pro (non-zoom), so this is a big size/weight change for me. My first impressions are almost all entirely positive. I did get the RC version and while I’ve only given the combo one brief maiden flight here in the Texas blast furnace, I’m pretty happy with it. I was able to control glare on it pretty well and while I didn’t push this flight on distance or anything, I certainly didn’t have any signal issues here in this heavily urban area. I just echo everyone else’s impressions on most everything. The noise difference between this and my other drones is palpable. It handled just like I’d expect any DJI drone to handle, and that means like butter…smooth and easy. I didn’t monkey around with any advanced video or photo settings on this quick test flight but for the size, weight, and performance of this thing, I’m sure it’ll exceed my needs by far. To be honest, I already thought that the quality I got of the MP2 was pretty much awesome, so maybe I’m just not too “demanding”. Some of my first thoughts with this thing are:

1.) I really need a new “small” landing pad for this thing. It was tough trying to find some grass short enough to prevent prop jamming and I typically avoid concrete due to interference reasons if I can. I’ll have to hunt around for something that fits my desires.

2.) The old Mavic 2 fly more kit bag is absolutely WAY too big for this thing. My main goal for this thing is run and gun. I don’t want to have huge setup to get up in the air, take some footage/photos, and get back down and outta there.

3.) It was kind of a pain getting the RC to connect to my iPhone 13 Pro’s hotspot. I had to actually enable the “Maximize Compatibility” setting to get it to connect.

In any case, the other thing I kept thinking is about the impressive amount of engineering in this thing. Maybe I’m just an old fart, but I’m always amazed by how all this stuff can be crammed into something this small and light.

"3.) It was kind of a pain getting the RC to connect to my iPhone 13 Pro’s hotspot."

Look at the planned flight area before you leave home and the wifi signal. The maps and satellite imagery will be cached in your mobile device. You don't need an internet connection to fly. You don't really even need the maps and sat imagery, either.

I'm aware of the potential for problems with rebar and iron piping in concrete slabs and I always confirm the compass orientation immediately after takeoff. But I've never seen a problem with compass function over concrete..

Reactions: Len750
1.) I really need a new “small” landing pad for this thing.
Hover it shoulder height facing forward and kinda push your hand in as if to pinch the battery tabs then a little further to catch it while the left stick is down for landing.
You'll find this the easiest drone ever to pick out of the air.

Hover it shoulder height facing forward and kinda push your hand in as if to pinch the battery tabs then a little further to catch it while the left stick is down for landing.
You'll find this the easiest drone ever to pick out of the air.
Oh, I hand caught it alright, but at the end of the day, I just like to have a nice pad to both takeoff and land from. I’ve got a nice one that I use for Mavic Pro 2 from flathead, but I think I’d want something smaller and more portable for the Mini 3 Pro.

Reactions: Torque
I cringe every time I see this happening due to the pointless extra time and effort it takes. Like sitting in a traffic jam.

Yeah, yeah, yeah… All you early movers have been playing around for weeks with this thing, but my finances dictated the lateness for me. In any case, my only other two drones have been the old school Mavic Pro and the Mavic 2 Pro (non-zoom), so this is a big size/weight change for me. My first impressions are almost all entirely positive. I did get the RC version and while I’ve only given the combo one brief maiden flight here in the Texas blast furnace, I’m pretty happy with it. I was able to control glare on it pretty well and while I didn’t push this flight on distance or anything, I certainly didn’t have any signal issues here in this heavily urban area. I just echo everyone else’s impressions on most everything. The noise difference between this and my other drones is palpable. It handled just like I’d expect any DJI drone to handle, and that means like butter…smooth and easy. I didn’t monkey around with any advanced video or photo settings on this quick test flight but for the size, weight, and performance of this thing, I’m sure it’ll exceed my needs by far. To be honest, I already thought that the quality I got of the MP2 was pretty much awesome, so maybe I’m just not too “demanding”. Some of my first thoughts with this thing are:

1.) I really need a new “small” landing pad for this thing. It was tough trying to find some grass short enough to prevent prop jamming and I typically avoid concrete due to interference reasons if I can. I’ll have to hunt around for something that fits my desires.

2.) The old Mavic 2 fly more kit bag is absolutely WAY too big for this thing. My main goal for this thing is run and gun. I don’t want to have huge setup to get up in the air, take some footage/photos, and get back down and outta there.

3.) It was kind of a pain getting the RC to connect to my iPhone 13 Pro’s hotspot. I had to actually enable the “Maximize Compatibility” setting to get it to connect.

In any case, the other thing I kept thinking is about the impressive amount of engineering in this thing. Maybe I’m just an old fart, but I’m always amazed by how all this stuff can be crammed into something this small and light.
I have just got the Mini 3.How do you link the RC to my iPhones Pro hotspot?Having trouble doing this

I have just got the Mini 3.How do you link the RC to my iPhones Pro hotspot?Having trouble doing this
I had to go into my hotspot settings and enable the “Maximize Compatibility” setting in order to allow the RC to connect to my iPhone 13 Pro. You can find it in Settings…Personal Hotspot0E267251-5D5B-4667-A8B5-49761F3BD1C4.jpeg

Just a little update…

Still haven’t had a ton of flight time with this bird, but I ran through the one battery I’ve got right now yesterday and I’ve got to say that so far this is the happiest I’ve ever been with any of my DJI birds. I’ve always wanted the pinnacle in portability but I always chaffed at the huge trade offs required in prior gens of the mini line. Well, those gaps, while still there somewhat, are closer than they’ve ever been with this thing and it’s close enough to make just a hack like me, extremely satisfied. Is it a Matrix with a honkin DSLR-type rig on it? No…but I can also get this thing up in the air on a moments notice without carrying a international sized suitcase for the bird and all its accoutrements. I’m really loving this little thing so far.

Yeah, yeah, yeah… All you early movers have been playing around for weeks with this thing, but my finances dictated the lateness for me. In any case, my only other two drones have been the old school Mavic Pro and the Mavic 2 Pro (non-zoom), so this is a big size/weight change for me. My first impressions are almost all entirely positive. I did get the RC version and while I’ve only given the combo one brief maiden flight here in the Texas blast furnace,

I hear ya man - I'm loathe to just go outside it's so oppressive.
I think it's the humidity.
Look for a small photography reflector. They make them that are only about 12-14" diameter and fold very small.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98