DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Finally hand launched and caught from kayak

kayakhipster

Reactions

I've been using the Mavic a lot on our paddles, but always from land. So I'd catch times when we were starting or stopping. For a long time I wanted to attempt to launch in one spot, have it track us for a bit, and land somewhere else. Worked great. Took a long time for me to build up the courage, but I'm glad I tried.

One thing to note, I need to make sure to land way earlier than I'm used to. It reached a low battery time and started to return to home (where I had launched, far from my location at that point). I was able to cancel that quickly and make it land rather than having to paddle after it... just something to remember next time. Continue updating the return to home every so often during the flight, and make the flight a little shorter just in case.

Cheers!

And here I am too nervous to launch from my 4.4m fishing boat in the calm waters of the river!

Nice work :)

Haha, thanks. I'm just glad I was able to catch it. I think I'd have been just as nervous from a small boat as well.

Reactions: SeaComms
Great video as always. Really enjoy my subscription of your YT-channel aswell, intresting stuff! Just got a new 5L Big River Dry Bag, that will fit the RC and Drone when out kayaking. Will test out the whole "workflow" in calm conditions first before going out to sea. Thanks for showing us this!

Great to hear, please let me know if there's anything you'd like to see more of. That sounds great, let me know how it goes for sure.

I've been using the Mavic a lot on our paddles, but always from land. So I'd catch times when we were starting or stopping. For a long time I wanted to attempt to launch in one spot, have it track us for a bit, and land somewhere else. Worked great. Took a long time for me to build up the courage, but I'm glad I tried.

One thing to note, I need to make sure to land way earlier than I'm used to. It reached a low battery time and started to return to home (where I had launched, far from my location at that point). I was able to cancel that quickly and make it land rather than having to paddle after it... just something to remember next time. Continue updating the return to home every so often during the flight, and make the flight a little shorter just in case.

Cheers!
That's great. I do a lot of kayaking, sea and rivers and am slowly working up the courage to do this.

I would turn off smart return to home if you fly over water and move. That way it will not go back to the home point and land on water... Just keep an eye on the battery and keep it close.
Also change lost connection RTH to hover. If your home point is over water you don't want the drone to go there automatically and land,ever.

Looks great, if you get some sun these shots are gonna be awesome!

Ah, that's the way to do it. Change it to just hover. Yes, I'll do that next time. And keeping an eye on battery life more than usual will be crucial. Thanks for the input.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rui S