DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Find my drone previous coordinates

19Prizma88

Reactions
Hello, I managed to lose my drone Mavic mini. I do not know the exact position, but while trying to find it, the RC brieffly connected to the drone and I could also see the video feed for a second. This happened three times while the battery died. Problem is, that the GPS coordinates in find my drone ahow a location that is hundreds of km from me...ia there a way how to get coordinates from the app, that are not tha last, but the coordinates before? Maybe the last time, it connected, the coordinates were corrupt or something. The teraain is really hard and with dense vegetation so it is not possible to search the whole area. Thanks for help.

Also, check out this thread -

...is there a way... to get coordinates
The flight log you can see in the DJI Fly app comes from a file that is stored in the mobile device you flew with.

You find the flight log files here if you have an

Android device:
Device internal memory/Android/data/dji.go.v5/files/FlightRecord

iOS device:
DJI Fly/FlightRecords

The log naming is based on the date and time of the start of the flight: DJIFlightRecord_YYYY_MM_DD_[hr-min-sec].txt

Start with copying over the most recent log to your computer & then attach it in a new post here.

Hello, I managed to lose my drone Mavic mini. I do not know the exact position, but while trying to find it, the RC brieffly connected to the drone and I could also see the video feed for a second. This happened three times while the battery died. Problem is, that the GPS coordinates in find my drone ahow a location that is hundreds of km from me...ia there a way how to get coordinates from the app, that are not tha last, but the coordinates before? Maybe the last time, it connected, the coordinates were corrupt or something. The teraain is really hard and with dense vegetation so it is not possible to search the whole area. Thanks for help.
The only way to do that is to access the logs. You can post them here if you want, using DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help or if you have Airdata, even easier: Post the link here.

Thanks
You made the mistake to fly behind a ridge higher than your drone was when you lost the connection ... there it would have initiated the failsafe action which was RTH. Pretty soon after it had started to fly towards the home point (at a height of 334,3ft above the HP) your drone crashed into that ridge.

It wasn't any problems with the GPS reception in the end of the log ... it had 10 satellites locked & the quality was 4 of max 5.

You have both the HP coordinates & the last recorded in the picture below ... you need to search along the red RTH path, somewhere around the red cross your drone hit the trees.

1652723307175.png

You guys that do the analysis on these flight logs are amazing!

Reactions: slup
You made the mistake to fly behind a ridge higher than your drone was when you lost the connection ... there it would have initiated the failsafe action which was RTH. Pretty soon after it had started to fly towards the home point (at a height of 334,3ft above the HP) your drone crashed into that ridge.

It wasn't any problems with the GPS reception in the end of the log ... it had 10 satellites locked & the quality was 4 of max 5.

You have both the HP coordinates & the last recorded in the picture below ... you need to search along the red RTH path, somewhere around the red cross your drone hit the trees.

View attachment 148420
Thanks a lot, i do not think it is retreivable anymore due to the cliff and dense vegetation....why did the drone send me coordinates of a place 150km to the north in find my drone app, when i got a brief connection while i was looking for him?

...why did the drone send me coordinates of a place 150km to the north in find my drone app, when i got a brief connection while i was looking for him?
The last position that is in the mobile device .txt log you shared, came when the drone still had a strong GPS reception ... your drone had there 10 satellites locked.

Shortly after the RC-AC connection was lost your drone started the RTH flight... nothing of the return exists in the log as the RC didn't have a connection anymore.

Eventually the drone crashed into that ridge & during that event the motors must have stopped & the drone ended up in an unfavorable position for a good GPS receptions with a correct position... later when your RC shortly connected, that false position was received by your RC(+app) & updated the "Find my drone" position.

That false position didn't end up in the mobile device .txt log during that short connect as that log only gets recorded if the motors are running, instead it ended up in the mobile device .dat log which records if the drone is powered on. The .dat log is stored in the same place as where you found the .txt log, but in a sub folder there named MCDatFlightRecords.

So if we would take a look into the mobile device .dat log, I'm sure we will see that false position together with a very low number of satellites locked resulting in a very low positional accuracy.

Last edited:
The last position that is in the mobile device .txt log you shared, came when the drone still had a strong GPS reception ... your drone had there 10 satellites locked.

Shortly after the RC-AC connection was lost your drone started the RTH flight... nothing of the return exists in the log as the RC didn't have a connection anymore.

Eventually the drone crashed into that ridge & during that event the motors must have stopped & the drone ended up in an unfavorable position for a good GPS receptions with a correct position... later when your RC shortly connected, that false position was received by your RC(+app) & updated the "Find my drone" position.

That false position didn't end up in the mobile device .txt log during that short connect as that log only gets recorded if the motors are running, instead it ended up in the mobile device .dat log which records if the drone is powered on. The .dat log is stored in the same place as where you found the .txt log, but in a sub folder there named MCDatFlightRecords.

So if we would take a look into the mobile device .dat log, I'm sure we will see that false position together with a very low number of satellites locked resulting in a very low positional accuracy.
The subfolder u mentioned is empty in my device..thanks for the complete description btw. U obviously are a pro.

The subfolder u mentioned is empty in my device..thanks for the complete description btw. U obviously are a pro.
If you let the flights to be synced to the DJI cloud service the DJI Fly app deletes the mobile device .dat log ... if you still have the auto sync enabled that's probably the reason.

1652736898775.png

Last edited:
Yes, I have it enabled...is there any way how to get that *. dat file?
In general, no... have in years only heard of on guy that mailed DJI for it & they sent it to him.

Why do you want it ..? If you saw false coordinates during that short connect those will not help. The .dat log also needs a connection with your RC(+app) in ordered to be saved ... so nothing in there will tell us what the drone did during the disconnect.

Reactions: Yaros
In general, no... have in years only heard of on guy that mailed DJI for it & they sent it to him.

Why do you want it ..? If you saw false coordinates during that short connect those will not help. The .dat log also needs a connection with your RC(+app) in ordered to be saved ... so nothing in there will tell us what the drone did during the disconnect

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54