DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fireworks questions for the OG / Pro pilots of MavicPilots

TonyPHX

Chuck Norris's drones don't crash.
Premium Pilot
Reactions
I was hoping to use the Mini 3 Pro or Mini 4 Pro tonight to fly near some amateur fireworks that get shot off in my community. Just wondered if anyone has any general guidance about how to get some great epic video whether it be camera settings, or ideas for a shot list, etc. Any input appreciated. Naturally I am also wondering about how well the Mini may do if it encounters some leftovers from the fireworks in the air. : )

1. Do not fly over people/crowds
2. Keep a safe distance from the fireworks themselves.

I would use zoom features.

1. Do not fly over people/crowds
2. Keep a safe distance from the fireworks themselves.

I would use zoom features.
Sound advice, and yes, I never fly over people. Too much open space to take that risk. I intend to keep a safe distance. Zoom is a good idea!!! I had not that of that for the fireworks capture. Good call!

Reactions: rjwmorrell
Stay high - the mortars that predominate in my neighborhood seem to be around 200-250' AGL. I went up to 400' last year and didn't see anything up level with my drone. These are all legal in my area so there is no useful concept of staying at a distance horizontally with 360º worth of fireworks going off.

Reactions: Cafguy and TonyPHX
Makes sense. I think the ones in my neighborhood are around the same height or less. Thank you @AlanL !
You can fire mortar type aerial fireworks in Phoenix these days? When I was a kid growing up down there in the 1950's and 60's just about all fireworks were illegal. We used to buy firecrackers in Nogales but big overhead displays like these would get you busted in a heartbeat.

DJI_M3P_24_Boom070423.jpg

Here is an example from last year that went off below me (I was at 390' AGL):

DJI_M3P_24_FWunderneath.jpg

You can fire mortar type aerial fireworks in Phoenix these days? When I was a kid growing up down there in the 1950's and 60's just about all fireworks were illegal. We used to buy firecrackers in Nogales but big overhead displays like these would get you busted in a heartbeat.

View attachment 176045

View attachment 176044
I think they get away with just about anything these days. Yes, they are blowing up the neighborhood even as I type this. I decided to just stay in since the dogs are upset. My neighbors are all crazy.

Reactions: jimlips

View attachment 176045

View attachment 176044
Nice clear shots. See you using the M3. Are these photos or video captures? What settings did you use?

Nice clear shots. See you using the M3. Are these photos or video captures? What settings did you use?

These were photos. Both were shot using the 24mm lens on my Mavic 3 Pro with 2 second exposures at f/5.6 with ISO set to auto (I show ISO 130 for the first image and 240 for the second).

My own feeling after shooting these was that this wasn't the most productive approach and led to far too much frantic panning around trying to catch the next burst. I shot entirely video last night which was a more relaxed way to go about the task. I haven't really processed any of the video yet.

Reactions: HoozierDroneDaddy
These were photos. Both were shot using the 24mm lens on my Mavic 3 Pro with 2 second exposures at f/5.6 with ISO set to auto (I show ISO 130 for the first image and 240 for the second).

My own feeling after shooting these was that this wasn't the most productive approach and led to far too much frantic panning around trying to catch the next burst. I shot entirely video last night which was a more relaxed way to go about the task. I haven't really processed any of the video yet.
Thanks. Looking forward to see the video!

I saw some spectacular Drone footage where the guy flew the drone straight threw released exploding fireworks and got away with it
As stated spectacular footage at high risk to his drone .
Bit like guys who fly over volcanic lava !
Saw one lost doing that in a lava explosion fragments hitting the drone !
Safest place for uninvolved people in the sterile launch area.
Another danger is hitting a firework and sending the firework off course so safer to keep a good distance away

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Through firework display

Reactions: SWTSU
I have flown twice in new year's celebration. The first one I used the Mavic2 with "auto" setup. My last movie was with Mavic3 Pro with "night mode". My perseption is that the result was good.
See the last video.

Reactions: SWTSU
I was hoping to use the Mini 3 Pro or Mini 4 Pro tonight to fly near some amateur fireworks that get shot off in my community. Just wondered if anyone has any general guidance about how to get some great epic video whether it be camera settings, or ideas for a shot list, etc. Any input appreciated. Naturally I am also wondering about how well the Mini may do if it encounters some leftovers from the fireworks in the air. : )
I have used Mini 4 Pro - Night mode for New Year. 60m (allowed max near my home)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aleeab