DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First Crash

Ruggy

Reactions
So today I had my first crash. Flew for maybe 5 minutes and lost RC connection. RTH kicked in and it came back but was landing maybe 10 feet from where it took off and was by a tree so I canceled RTH. It was hovering maybe 12 feet off the ground and I could not get RC connection still. My RC was completely dead no matter what I did. Even tried to reboot the RC. The only thing I could do was wait till the battery died. When it did it hit some leaves in the tree and came crashing down. I caught it with my hands but it slipped out and crashed. One of the rear feet came off but I was able to snap it back in. The only visible permanent damage was a few scratches on the bottom skids by the bottom sensors. I did a test flight and seems to work ok although I did not do a thorough flight. My question is what should I do in a case like this. How do you regain RC connection. Was totally locked up. Even the camera has no signal.

Reactions: Flynz
I did a test flight and seems to work ok although I did not do a thorough flight. My question is what should I do in a case like this. How do you regain RC connection. Was totally locked up. Even the camera has no signal.

You say that you did a test flight and it seems to work ok. Can you explain what you meant? Were you connected to a device to monitor video or flying just by the controller?

Next time it sounds like you should grab a blanket or a big net to catch mavic in the way down!

This is unusual. I have not read many stories of the rc disconnecting mid flight without the ability to reconnect.

You sure the rc was disconnected and not just your smart device?

You say that you did a test flight and it seems to work ok. Can you explain what you meant? Were you connected to a device to monitor video or flying just by the controller?
I am using a iphone 6s plus with the controller. I flew it again after the crash to make sure it still worked.

Next time it sounds like you should grab a blanket or a big net to catch mavic in the way down!

This is unusual. I have not read many stories of the rc disconnecting mid flight without the ability to reconnect.

You sure the rc was disconnected and not just your smart device?
Yes a blanket would have been helpful. The top left corner of the screen was red during the problem. The red X was shown to cancel RTH. When I hit it, it asked am I sure I want to cancel RTH. When canceled the controls were still dead. Why didn't it continue to land? It just stopped 12 feet off the ground.
The only thing I can think of is the plug that goes into the smartphone. Although a clean design, It's hard to tell if it is completely plugged in. You have to listen for the signal tone when turning on the RC and plugging in the phone. I was flying in sport mode at first then switched to satellite when this all happened. I have flown about 30 times without a problem. I really think it was the plug not in all the way. Not a great design. I am always paranoid with the way the factory has that plug. I think I am going to switch to a phone mount with external cord.

Yes a blanket would have been helpful. The top left corner of the screen was red during the problem. The red X was shown to cancel RTH. When I hit it, it asked am I sure I want to cancel RTH. When canceled the controls were still dead. Why didn't it continue to land? It just stopped 12 feet off the ground.
The only thing I can think of is the plug that goes into the smartphone. Although a clean design, It's hard to tell if it is completely plugged in. You have to listen for the signal tone when turning on the RC and plugging in the phone. I was flying in sport mode at first then switched to satellite when this all happened. I have flown about 30 times without a problem. I really think it was the plug not in all the way. Not a great design. I am always paranoid with the way the factory has that plug. I think I am going to switch to a phone mount with external cord.
I got a phone mount at best buy for I think like 20 bucks. Works great and I use the long usb c cable that came with the mavic to connect to it.

My first crash today too.

Came low to get a cool video approaching a large tree lit by the sun. Backed up to get a slow run in and passed behind a tree. Turned out to be larger than I thought and I backed into the tip of the tree is was passing. My new Mavic Pro got trapped in the leaves 4m off the ground. The tree was down a steep grassy bank. And I was on crutches with a leg in plaster. I scrambled down the bank, but could not climb.
A passer by came down the bank, climbed the tree and shook the branch for me. The Mavic fell into soft grass on a steep bank.
No damage apart from chips in a prop. Flies like a charm with a new prop. Phew! lesson learned. Fly forwards into a set up position!!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada