DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First Edit - Mavic Mini

CircusBoy

Reactions
Hi MavicPilots, I am looking for feedback on how I can improve my drone shooting and video editing skills. I am flying a mavic mini 1 and working with DaVinci Resolve 16.
I am new to both flying and editing, but recently drove cross country and captured lots of footage. I hope that I can start with little 15 second clips like this, to learn and develop my editing skills. Then stich them all together into a cohesive film/video.

The shaky segment at the 18 second mark, was intentional. It is an attempt to break up a long continuous shot. I feel like it is lacking a little something, maybe it needs some color distortion or grain added to that clip?

I am also unhappy with coloring at the 6-8 second mark, the transition at the 8 second mark.

Finally, I am not in love with the title text. Any thoughts or suggestion?

Reactions: iamcostas
first of all , watching this video clip I was scared twice ?.
I wouldn't dare to be so close to cars at a busy highway. It is supposed to keep a distance generally 30m from people or cars ( tell me if I am wrong) but the most scary thought I don't want to imagine what will happen if for some reasons the drone fly straight into a car.
How did you manage to avoid the road sign? Unbelievable ?.
Either you are born to be a unbeatable professional Mavic pilot or you have a tremendous luck and fearlness ?.

Last edited:
Nice footage
Enjoyed the scenery and nice touch with the roadsign but there is room for improvement.
I'm by no means an expert but try not to be too jerky with your movements. I've been learning this the hard way and have had to discard loads of my own clips that were promising because of yawing at the last minute or in the middle of a shot.
I've found that if you edit the shot to change to another clip just before the change in direction it looks much better. If the clip is not log enough then alter the time by slowing it down.
I hope this helps and look forward to your work.

I've found that if you edit the shot to change to another clip just before the change in direction it looks much better. If the clip is not log enough then alter the time by slowing it down.
I hope this helps and look forward to your work.
Whitefalcon, Thank your for the feedback! I agree the flying could be more stable, I will work on that.
I am not sure I understand the what you mean in the quote above. Are you saying that is better to transition between clips when the drone if flying straight then in the middle of a turn?

What type of transitions do you like to use? Cross Fade, Cross Dissolve, Swipe etc?

Thanks again!

Hi MavicPilots, I am looking for feedback on how I can improve my drone shooting and video editing skills. I am flying a mavic mini 1 and working with DaVinci Resolve 16.
I am new to both flying and editing, but recently drove cross country and captured lots of footage. I hope that I can start with little 15 second clips like this, to learn and develop my editing skills. Then stich them all together into a cohesive film/video.

The shaky segment at the 18 second mark, was intentional. It is an attempt to break up a long continuous shot. I feel like it is lacking a little something, maybe it needs some color distortion or grain added to that clip?

I am also unhappy with coloring at the 6-8 second mark, the transition at the 8 second mark.

Finally, I am not in love with the title text. Any thoughts or suggestion?
Look at the gimbal settings and adjust the yaw controls so that when you release them it comes to smooth stop and easier on the eye...If I remember correctly it was somewhere in the 27-30 range.

There are a several nice videos you'll find if you Google "Cinematic Drone Shots". Reveal, Crane, etc.. I've tried to recreate some of these in my video from Cancun. Watching those tips definitely gave me a better idea of what shots I should be looking to film, and also almost as important is your shot list. Have an idea of how you want to tell the story and what shots you need to do that.

Quick example...take say a Mission Impossible movie, one in Dubai I think...they show a car on a desert road, then show sand dunes and the camera raises up to show Dubai. This used a crane shot to rise directly up to then reveal Dubai in the background as the car drives on the road towards it. The next scene is them inside a tall sky scraper. This "establishment" shot set the scene in your minds eye to convey the fact that they were in Dubai. If the camera had raced along with lens down, then gradually rolled upwards to reveal Dubai, this would have been a "reveal" shot. If you look at my video, you'll see I'm a novice, and like you, looking to learn, and found the guides on cinematic shots to be really helpful.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929